Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Thanks Captain, once you again you make a very reasoned, compassioniate response and that is what I respect most about our disagreements. The one issue I will take with you have said is what I just said to another poster who disagreed with my take on receiving section 8. How do you know who is in need of the assistance and who is a leech gaming the system? The answer is you don't and neither do I. There is NO system in place to weed out the bottomfeeders that take advantage of public assistance which is absurb. Why pour billions or possibly trillions into such programs with NO accountability? It make NO sense to me and millions of other Americans. Until accountability is taken into ALL situations where someone is receiving public assistance it will be looked at negatively by the majority of Americans.
Because we are in absolute agreement for once...

You are right---for something the size and scope of assistance of any kind, damn right, there needs to be SOME form of accountability...be it the Feds, or at the state, county, right down to the city level, because as you correctly pointed out, right now, there is really no way to tell the players apart without a scorecard---that is, who's on the up-and-up, and who's just 'gaming'...

But here's another tack...suppose there IS, or has been, some level of accountability in place, and the 'scammers' have found a way to circumvent and game the system in perpetuity---sometimes in cahoots with the very folk who are supposed to be controlling the flow of funds? (see under welfare fraud, anywhere in the country LOL) Who's gonna watch the watchers, in other words?

I want to help those who legitimately need the assistance, so that a point can be reached where those who ARE on it, and are using the system PROPERLY, no longer NEED it...I for one would LOVE to see some sort of extremely stiff penalties, with teeth, for those who get caught with their hand in the cookie jar---I'm talkin' the joint, the Big House, the hoosegow, mandatory 3-to-5 year sentences (maybe even for each individual count) with NO parole, and a mandatory LIFETIME ban from ever qualifying for assistance again, once they get out of the lock-up...

I mean, those are just guidelines mind you, but I'm almost willing to bet, once the gamers find out the people in charge aren't playing, and will go after their a**es and put them away, then the 'herd' (those in actual need) will be thinned out dramtically...lemme know what you think

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Because we are in absolute agreement for once...

You are right---for something the size and scope of assistance of any kind, damn right, there needs to be SOME form of accountability...be it the Feds, or at the state, county, right down to the city level, because as you correctly pointed out, right now, there is really no way to tell the players apart without a scorecard---that is, who's on the up-and-up, and who's just 'gaming'...

But here's another tack...suppose there IS, or has been, some level of accountability in place, and the 'scammers' have found a way to circumvent and game the system in perpetuity---sometimes in cahoots with the very folk who are supposed to be controlling the flow of funds? (see under welfare fraud, anywhere in the country LOL) Who's gonna watch the watchers, in other words?

I want to help those who legitimately need the assistance, so that a point can be reached where those who ARE on it, and are using the system PROPERLY, no longer NEED it...I for one would LOVE to see some sort of extremely stiff penalties, with teeth, for those who get caught with their hand in the cookie jar---I'm talkin' the joint, the Big House, the hoosegow, mandatory 3-to-5 year sentences (maybe even for each individual count) with NO parole, and a mandatory LIFETIME ban from ever qualifying for assistance again, once they get out of the lock-up...

I mean, those are just guidelines mind you, but I'm almost willing to bet, once the gamers find out the people in charge aren't playing, and will go after their a**es and put them away, then the 'herd' (those in actual need) will be thinned out dramtically...lemme know what you think
I couldnt have said it any better myself. Especially the part about who's watching the watchers. Surely their could be a process put in place to track everyone who is recieving the funds and everyone who is approving them to cut down and possibly eliminate said fraud. Sadly to say but that is just wisful thinking on our parts. Maybe someday a leader with a set will step up and tackle these common sense problems.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Do you know what the word "If" means? I said IF they paid in. Slow down and re-read what I wrote.
I do know what "If" means. So what "if" they havent paid into the system? And/or what if they have paid almost nothing into the system? How much/long should the freeloading persist?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM

88 posts, read 198,934 times
This is what is wrong with Atlanta. It is not like any other place on earth that I have seen. what is up with everyone turning every thread into some racial sounding board.

Atlantic Station was pretty nice when it first opened and the economy was humming along. Then the economy took a crap and the place went downhill fast because it did not have time to establish itself. There were a ton of people buying condos, townhomes etc in the area with the 100% financing interest only loans. They never should have been able to purchase these places to begin with and when the economy tanked they were the first ones to get foreclosed on...they had no skin in the game. Anyway, that is the biggest contributing factor in my opinion to the downfall of Atlantic Station. Until they get the empty units filled the area will continue to suffer.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
This is what is wrong with Atlanta. It is not like any other place on earth that I have seen. what is up with everyone turning every thread into some racial sounding board.

Atlantic Station was pretty nice when it first opened and the economy was humming along. Then the economy took a crap and the place went downhill fast because it did not have time to establish itself. There were a ton of people buying condos, townhomes etc in the area with the 100% financing interest only loans. They never should have been able to purchase these places to begin with and when the economy tanked they were the first ones to get foreclosed on...they had no skin in the game. Anyway, that is the biggest contributing factor in my opinion to the downfall of Atlantic Station. Until they get the empty units filled the area will continue to suffer.
How is Atlantic Station failing? Yeah, there are a lot of condos for sale (there is a housing crisis across the entire country so it's not limited to AS), but the retail is pretty much filled up and the place is pretty busy most of the time.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
Atlantic Station has new owners, master developer *| ajc.com

This is old news, but I wonder what the new owners mean when it's said they plan to "invest significantly" in AS?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
I do know what "If" means. So what "if" they havent paid into the system? And/or what if they have paid almost nothing into the system? How much/long should the freeloading persist?
These aren't decisions I get to make, so I'm not going to set the rules or spend a lot of time (or any time) working out a system. Obviously, there should be limits of coverage and a process for determining eligibility.

And I DO believe a young person who has not yet paid into the system who legitimately needs help should be able to get it. The assumption being that they will pay into the system in the future and will no longer need assistance. Or they'll be a deadbeat, and they'll be ineligible for further help.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
How many people are on Section 8?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How many people are on Section 8?
In this region, I would guess it would be a lot. The thing that blows my mind is that we actually had a section 8 home in my old neighborhood which was in the high 200K range in West Cobb. The homeowners association pitched a fit and changed their by laws to keep any more from coming in and eventually the homeowner ended up selling the home all together. In the end the HOA didnt do ANYTHING to stop this section 8 home, it was the low-life tenants who had the cops called out numerous times and the extensive damage that they did to the property that made the homeowner/landlord opt of Section 8.

I can't tell you the number of people that I knew when I was in the Real Estate industry that told me horror stories of turning their investment properties into Section 8 properties. One guy told me that after he spent thousand of dollars and almost 6 months trying to evict his Sec 8 tenants they ended up taking EVERY thing in the house including the copper piping in the wall, the light fixtures and the carpet! Who knows if the tenants were charged for the damage or the theft but this is just one example of the damage that Sec 8 does to neighborhoods and properties.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
And I DO believe a young person who has not yet paid into the system who legitimately needs help should be able to get it.
Define "legitimately"

Problem is, you cant. No one can. Way too subjective.

A young person who "needs help" should get it from their family, friends and other perosnal support groups. You, me and society at large dont owe them "help".

There are plenty of jobs out there for young folk who are willing to work hard at whatever task -- like we all did at one point. If a person has put themselves in a bad spot thru poor decisions, ie out of wedlock baby, lack of proper education, etc that burden is on THEM. Not society.

Rewarding people with free money for "needing help" is the WRONG answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta