Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2021, 03:50 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,846,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
That ONE subdivision was the one I lived in. And yes, Riverside was flooded with crime. BOLO's every day. The Riverside forum was almost nothing but discussions about crime, and video of footage of such. We moved out because we didn't want to be the 9th house that burglarized, or worse. With young kids, that was a huge worry. The school issue was also a major concern, which is why we moved OTP.

I don't know of anyone who says "Let's move to Virginia Highland so we can send our kids to Grady". Sorry, I just don't.
Well, I believe your experience in Riverside has tainted your view of the entire city. I can’t speak to Virginia Highland in particular, but I know of many families who have made decisions on where they live based on whether or not it’s in the North Atlanta, Grady/Midtown, or Jackson Clusters.

I also know of several families that have left schools like Paideia, Woodward, Lovett, and Westminster to attend North Atlanta, Grady/Midtown, and even Jackson HS because they realized that the same quality of education can be had virtually for free. Same scholarships, same college acceptances, and similar performance while in college.

So, to me, it seems that the issues that you speak of are more so about the demographics of the schools rather than the quality of education that the schools provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 06:06 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
People are free to move or put their children in any school they so choose. People are free to put their children in Private, Charter, or Faith based schools if they so choose. That is called actually being involved and caring/valuing your child's education something that is lacking at a lot of places especially in APS. Also, the Grady cluster is majority white now for the first time in decades so using/blaming 'demographics' doesn't make any sense if someone were afraid of such. It's 2021 some people on here might want to actually get with the current times. City of Atlanta is going to continue to see huge demographic shifts as the latest census showed.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
People are free to move or put their children in any school they so choose. People are free to put their children in Private, Charter, or Faith based schools if they so choose. That is called actually being involved and caring/valuing your child's education something that is lacking at a lot of places especially in APS. Also, the Grady cluster is majority white now for the first time in decades so using/blaming 'demographics' doesn't make any sense if someone were afraid of such. It's 2021 some people on here might want to actually get with the current times. City of Atlanta is going to continue to see huge demographic shifts as the latest census showed.
okay

Old 09-16-2021, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 16,030 times
Earlier this year my family planned to move from ITP to the suburbs. We looked in East Cobb and Gwinnett (Brookwood/Snellville areas). We actually decided not to move for three main reasons.

First, ITP is still booming. Several companies are expanding operations ITP, such as Microsoft and CHOA. Has anyone seen the new Arthur Blank hospital construction off I-85 and North Druid Hills? The hospital is going to be massive and bring a ton of jobs. Areas around Grove Park (Microsoft) and North Druid Hills (CHOA) are only going to increase in value for the foreseeable future. That's not to say that some areas OTP aren't booming too, they are. However, I think it's premature to say that ITP growth is done. As COVID becomes endemic, you will see people return to the office.

Second, the infrastructure in some OTP areas is lacking. I know a lot of people praise East Cobb, but I was not impressed with what I saw. The roads were not in good shape, the shopping areas and strip malls needed a big facelift, and there were few parks in the Walton/Pope areas. Also, a lot of the houses had masonite or vinyl siding in poor condition, even houses in the $500-600k range. I didn't think it made sense to buy an expensive house "just for the schools and low crime" when my commute would increase by 20 minutes and I would get less amenities. Plus, crime in my ITP area is pretty low.

Finally, I don't think the gap between good ITP and OTP schools is as big as people think. Sure, schools in the Walton, Pope, and Lassiter clusters are solid. But, the majority of the graduates from those high schools don't attend Princeton, Harvard, MIT, or Yale, no matter what your East Cobb realtor says. Many go to UGA, GSU, and Ga Tech, just like many graduates from North Atlanta, Grady, Lakeside, Chamblee, Druid Hills, and Jackson. My point is that your kid can still get a good education ITP. My family has had a good experience at our local ITP public school.

TK

Old 09-17-2021, 01:23 PM

In Atlanta, is an exodus to the suburbs really happening? -Urbanize Atlanta

Old 09-17-2021, 02:50 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
Having moved from North Fulton over 2 years ago to the southside ITP, I have no idea why anyone would see that area as any kind of relief. There is more traffic, more rich jerks, people who talk fast and drive crazy and almost no small town essence left up there. It is like California.

I can totally get wanting to get out of the metro altogether, move to a rural area or small town, but moving from Candler Park to Milton to "escape" honestly to me seems kind of insane... that area over on the eastside ITP is way more like Alpharetta than it used to be. It seems to me that if you didn't like that influx of traffic, high cost of living and fast talking tech worker types, you'd move somewhere that wasn't just as full of those types of people.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Just a silly headline. Folks are moving in and out of the city, and folks are moving in and out of the suburbs. Reasons why folks move are always changing. There are a lot more folks that want to live in the city than can afford to live in the city—and wealth is finding its way into neighborhoods that have not been considered desirable in decades (if ever) so exactly what is the point of the headline?

Old 09-17-2021, 03:08 PM

1,150 posts, read 613,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Having moved from North Fulton over 2 years ago to the southside ITP, I have no idea why anyone would see that area as any kind of relief. There is more traffic, more rich jerks, people who talk fast and drive crazy and almost no small town essence left up there. It is like California.

I can totally get wanting to get out of the metro altogether, move to a rural area or small town, but moving from Candler Park to Milton to "escape" honestly to me seems kind of insane... that area over on the eastside ITP is way more like Alpharetta than it used to be. It seems to me that if you didn't like that influx of traffic, high cost of living and fast talking tech worker types, you'd move somewhere that wasn't just as full of those types of people.
Where in North Fulton did you move from? Milton is nothing like Candler Park, in a good way. I love driving through Milton. Rolling hills and horse farms.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Just a silly headline. Folks are moving in and out of the city, and folks are moving in and out of the suburbs. Reasons why folks move are always changing. There are a lot more folks that want to live in the city than can afford to live in the city—and wealth is finding its way into neighborhoods that have not been considered desirable in decades (if ever) so exactly what is the point of the headline?
I think the headline is just speaking to the perception that crime, and other reasons cited in this thread are causing Atlantans to flee the city. Did you get a chance to read the article (and commentary)?

Last edited by equinox63; 09-17-2021 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 09:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I think the headline is just speaking to the perception that crime, and other reasons cited in this thread are causing Atlantans to flee the city. Did you get a chance to read the article (and commentary)?
Yes, I read the article. There was nothing wrong with it.
I guess sometimes silly news results in silly headlines. Some folks are talking about an “exodus from the city” and folks “fleeing the city”—when city is continuing to grow in population and cost.
There were times that folks really were fleeing the city, and this is nothing like that—and nothing reported in the article suggests that either —there was mention of other articles which talk about why a handful of people chose to leave the city—followed by a series of mild observations (the population in the city is going up, some suburbs are getting “hipper”, teleworking has made living in the city less necessary for some…).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta