Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaMom View Post
Firstly, expect it to take a minimum of three to four years to find a good "I-like-spending-time-with-this-person" friend. Especially one that is your own friend, not just a husband and wife set that you occassionally hang out with. I mean a good, best friend for you. These types of friends are really hard to make when you first move.
I found this to be true, too, on some level. We also moved here away from family. I made one friend right away. I work full-time (career-gal) and became close friends with my immediate supervisor. We're friends to this day, 6 years later. But it took another 2 years to make friends with another woman where I felt like she was family. Along the way I've formed a circle of "more than casual but not as close as family" type of friends.

I've told my husband I'm not leaving Atlanta. It's my home now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
This made me laugh (in a giggly silly way). The statistician in me is thinking:
You really need to get out of the office more

Old 05-02-2008, 11:03 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
Hey, it's the main reason I decided to commute to work by foot or bike...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,087 times
This is a great topic.

My wife and I made the decision 7 years ago to relocate for my job from Tampa to Seattle. Our daughter was 12 at the time.

In retrospect, both my wife and I believe it was a great decision. Nothing makes a family stronger and closer than moving to a new location together. My wife and I have become best friends as a result of the move. My daughter got to experience a completely new environment.

The move wasn't easy at first. Part of it was timing, as we moved to Seattle in October, right at the beginning of winter and rainy season. Also, it meant my daughter had to switch schools during the school year (a move in early summer would have worked much better). We partially offset this by spending our first year as "tourist" in our new town. We made a point of visiting all the area parks, tourist attractions, etc. This made things exciting.

For our daughter, the move was challenging for the first year. While she was excited at first, moving into a new environment and finding new friends was uncomfortable. In the long run, it forced her to branch out of her comfort zone and experience new things. I think she is a stronger, more independent person as a result. I believe seeing how easily she integrated into her first year at college was a result of our relocation.

Moving away from family was probably the hardest, although we didn't realize it at first. For the first few years, my family visited very often, as this was a new location for all of them. We also made a point of flying home for the important holidays. As time progressed, however, the visits became farther in between.

Fast forward to present, we've made the decision to relocate once again. This time we'll be moving back closer to "home." We've decided upon Atlanta as its closer to family, offers better job opportunities with my company, and provide us with another new experience.

Would we do it over again...ABSOLUTELY. Would we do some things differently...YES. We would have visited family more often.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwall04 View Post
The move wasn't easy at first. Part of it was timing, as we moved to Seattle in October, right at the beginning of winter and rainy season. Also, it meant my daughter had to switch schools during the school year (a move in early summer would have worked much better).
Maybe you would have preferred a move in early summer, but I don't recommend it from my experience. I moved long distance twice in early summer; once when our daughter was a rising kindergartener and again when she was a rising third-grader. Only after the second move did my spouse and I finally figure out that the early-summer timing, chosen to fit around the school year, was not a good fit for our kid.

When you move in early summer, the other kids in your new neighborhood are pretty busy with summer camps, family vacations, sports programs, etc. When they're at home, they're busy playing with their established friends and not particularly looking to meet anyone new, unless you are lucky enough to have a compatible kid right next door, where they will tend to see each and get acquainted. In both of our moves, our kid had a lonely summer.

As soon as school starts, all the neighborhood kids come out of the woodwork (that is to say, return from vacation, Grandma's house, camp, etc.) and they seem amazingly numerous. On the school bus and in class they are thrust into proximity with your kid, and quickly start getting acquainted.

If I had it to over again, I'd move during the school year.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,271 times
We moved in late February and just a few months of bonding before summer was key for my daughter. It was a little tough transitioning mid year but overall worth it. By the time school rolled around again it was smooth sailing.

My daughter who is somewhat shy actually enjoyed being the "new girl" and I think it really helped her make some new friends. The second day of school once we relocated she came home with a bracelet that another student had made for her the night before. It had her name on it. The gesture was so sweet and I am sure the little girl to this day has no idea how much that meant to my daughter (and me). My first thought after a few tears of joy was that everything is going to be just fine. It was and still is.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
With the Internet and cell phones, moving out of state has become much less isolating. E-mail, instant messaging, forums, and newspapers online all make it much simpler to keep in touch with friends and family and send/receive photos and movies.

It's a personal choice and people have different priorities, but I've never regretted any relocation move I've made, and I've made 3 of them.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
With the Internet and cell phones, moving out of state has become much less isolating. E-mail, instant messaging, forums, and newspapers online all make it much simpler to keep in touch with friends and family and send/receive photos and movies.
True. But the distance really hit home for me when my dd landed in the NICU. It was totally unexpected and we where thousands of miles away from home. For the first week her situation was touch and go. We were alone. Just the two of us. Yes we had some friends but I needed a shoulder to cry on. When you are 9 times zones away from home you can not expect people to drop their lives to come hold your hand.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:41 PM

112 posts, read 487,055 times
I'm in the opposite situation right now. We've never lived near family, and after 7 years in Atlanta, we're moving closer to my husband's family. Although we have a fairly good network of friends here (and babysitters, thank goodness!), we only have one other family that's really the type of people we wouldn't think twice about calling in the middle of the night for an emergency. It's been tough to have to fly every time we want to see family (4 tickets aren't cheap, no matter where you're flying), and it means that we've spent all of our vacations visiting family instead of going on trips to new places. I'm looking forward to my kids growing up near cousins (for at least a few years, because who knows what can happen!) and to having more time with my mother- and father-in-law while they're still relatively young and active.

Reading all of these posts about how resilient kids are has been really helpful for me. It's good to hear from the voices of experience!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:40 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriL View Post
It's been tough to have to fly every time we want to see family (4 tickets aren't cheap, no matter where you're flying), and it means that we've spent all of our vacations visiting family instead of going on trips to new places.
Yeah. I want to go on vacation to a vacation place, the beach, the mountains, etc.. Flying is a real pain with car seat, stroller, liquid restrictions, taking shoes off, etc... Does a 23 mo really need to take her shoes off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta