U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 AM

2,124 posts, read 3,394,502 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on what you would define as "beating down the doors" to get into an HBCU. Actually most HBCU's have been seeing increasing enrollment over the past few years. The problem with many black youth not choosing our universities is that many of the parents have an elitist attitude towards their own kind giving them an education unfortunately. I have a friend that graduated from Georgia Tech that constantly throws the fact that she would never have gone to a black college in My face and I have tocheck her on it every time she does it.

Another problem is that unless you go to high school in a majority black area like Dekalb, you're discouraged from attending black colleges and universities to begin with. When we took college tours even though we requested it they frowned at the thought of even considering it. Luckily I had a guidance counselor that happened to be black that slid me some information under the table.

I attended Howard University even though I was accepted go Auburn, Georgia State, and a few other schools. I enjoyed My time there even though I hated the city. People give silly reasons for not attending our universities such as they are party schools or you won't get a good job... Well for one there isn't one black college on the list of top 50 party schools and your education is what you make of it no matter where you go. I can't speak for other schools but I know while I was there many fortune 500 companies actively recruited on campus regularly.

Having attended both HBCU and other id choose an HBCU to graduate from if it was an option for me right now. Visit some of the schools you're interested in and don't let anyone form your opinion for you. And most importantly don't fall into the trap of thinking that an HBCU should be a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,659,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Georgia Tech is not an HBCU, lol! It doesn't even have that many Black people. Morris Brown has been shut down and was never that great of a school in the first place. It was always known as a HUGE party school where one could go and goof off for four years and still be able to show a college degree in the end. Clark Atlanta appeals to the ghetto Black people who want to go to college and as a result the campus is very hood. Morehouse and Spelman are haven's for America's black elite. Of course, rich kids don't make up the entire population but Range Rovers and Beamers are common on these campuses. I myself completed my undergraduate degree at Morehouse College and it really does mold its students into respectable men reasy to take charge and lead in the world. All the HBCUs are the middle of the ghetto though. As a result, Spelman is like completly gated like a fortress. As for the colleges having an effect on the greater Black community, not so much anymore. The alumni do wonders for the Black community throughout Atlanta and the country but since Black kids can go to whatever college they want to nowadays, Morehouse and Spelman don't quite hold the prominence they once held.

Well Morris brown Has reopened and is looking for students They had a great band program i must say

Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,324,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Well Morris brown Has reopened and is looking for students They had a great band program i must say
The school is over 20 million dollars in debt and unaccredited. Furthermore, before it can even reapply for accreditation it needs to be debt free.

Not looking good...

Old 12-11-2008, 05:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 20,999,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Howard University is not public school and has the largest endowment of all of HBCU's and with the widest range of academic programs. The top HBCU's mostly come from the private ranks because in the they have held a larger social status and recruit and enroll more students on a larger national & international scale and also more top companies/graduate schools recruit from these private schools because over the years they have had the cream of the crop of HBCU students.

The private schools are also funded largely by the United Negro College Fund which support Private HBCU's and fund a certain percentage of all member institutions. The top tier include; Howard & Hampton University, Morehouse, Spelman, Clark Atlanta University and Tuskegee University. These schools tend to have many "legacy students", whose various family members have attended over the years so it's become a family tradition. So they tend to have more support from the old guard of the black community because when it wasn't possible for Blacks to attend the public universities in the south as recently as the early 70's these were our top and only choices. If you watched "The Cosby Show" you saw the fictitous HBCU Hillman College and their entire Cosby family attended that school and it was important to that family to keep their roots and to keep supporting that college. It's the same way with the schools I mentioned above. In turn Bill Cosby turned his love for HBCU's into the spin-off television show; "A Different World", which exposed and inspired many students to attend HBCU's.

The top public HBCU by far is Florida A&M University which draws most of it's students from Florida but has a larger percentage of out of state/international students than your typical public HBCU because of it's status as a great University. It was named Princeton Review/Time Magazine College of the year CNN - Time survey names Florida A&M 'College of the Year' - Aug. 24, 1997. In Georgia there are two black public universities; Albany State University & Fort Valley State University. They attract students from mostly public majority black GA High Schools and are not considered top HBCU's on a national scale.

For example, I attended Clark Atlanta University on a full scholarship from 1998-2002. I was recruited out of Southern California and had many scholarship offers to attend several HBCU's (Howard & Morehouse were the only two I considered) as well as private (St. Mary's College of Moraga) & public institutions (UC Davis/UC Santa Barbara) back home in California. But at the time I wanted a different environment and wanted to get away from home (Santa Monica High School which is a top National High School The 100 Best High Schools in America - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7761678/site/newsweek/ - broken link) but my family lives in Ladera Heights which is an affluent, upper-middle class area 5 minutes from the pacific ocean that consists of affluent black families Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so Atlanta and CAU offered the perfect social and academic atmosphere. Students from all social economic ranges and from all 50 states and international as well. You will only find that mix of students at HBCU's at the private institutions that I mentioned above.

I graduated in 2002 and attended the University of Southern California for graduate school and CAU definately prepared me for life. The Atlanta University Center was a great atmosphere to attend college in and I would definately recommend it to anyone considering. You just have to focus because there are many distractions in Atlanta and it's easy to get sidetracked. The only fully gated campus is Spelman College; with CAU, Morehouse and Morris Brown mostly incorporated into the "ghetto community" StVincent speaks of. Look for those areas to change rapidly with the re-development of University Homes which is the sprawling project located adjacent to the AUC and general redevelopment of the area as a whole that's taking place as we speak.

BTW, Clark Atlanta University as a whole has never had any accreditation problems. The University choose not to "renew" the accreditation of the only HBCU engineering department in GA as a cost cutting procedure since many of the students in engineering participated in the dual-degree program with GA Tech Georgia's only HBCU engineering program fighting closure: Clark Atlanta University says program would be too costly to bring up to accreditation standards Diverse Issues in Higher Education - Find Articles.

Morris Brown College had to close it's doors in 2003 After Years of Financial Crises, an Atlanta College Is on a Death Watch - New York Times due to it's accreditation problem and that has never been the case at CAU. Just wanted to make that clear.
You forgot Savannah State University.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,815,594 times
U.S. News Top 25 HBCUs:

1. Spelman College
2. Howard University
3. Morehouse College
4. Hampton University
5. Fisk University
6. Tuskegee University
7. Claflin University
8. Dillard University
9. Xavier University of Louisiana
10. Johnson C. Smith University
11. Tennessee State University
12. Elizabeth City State University
13. Winston-Salem State University
14. Virginia State University
15. Florida A&M University
15. N.C. A&T State University
15. North Carolina Central University
15. South Carolina State University
19. Morgan State University
20. Jackson State University
21. Bennett College
22. Clark Atlanta University
23. Delaware State University
24. Alabama A&M University
25. Albany State University
Historically Black Colleges and Universities Ranking - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The school is over 20 million dollars in debt and unaccredited. Furthermore, before it can even reapply for accreditation it needs to be debt free.

Not looking good...
First of they have gotten there accredation back thanks The band just played at atlanta high school battle of the bands and annouced that they were reopen that they got there accredation back and they were looking for students 2 of my friends just enrolled so if you dont believe call the school and find out

Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,324,303 times
Quote:
First of they have gotten there accredation back thanks The band just played at atlanta high school battle of the bands and annouced that they were reopen that they got there accredation back and they were looking for students 2 of my friends just enrolled so if you dont believe call the school and find out

The SACS has not given them back their accreditation.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:10 AM

325 posts, read 853,525 times
Default Morehouse

I went to Clark Atlanta for 1 semster and HATED it, so I can definately give you insight. If you REALLY want to attend a HBCU I would ONLY recommend Morehouse for the men and Spelman for the women. Nothing else in the AUC. I honestly would not recommend HBCU's as much as before, and would advise you consider others schools that aren't HBCU's. Morehouse definately breeds the Alpha male and they have unlimited alumni support so financial issues are nonexistent. Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Yes they Have my friends were just talking about it I dont think they will go and enroll in school that they know would be a waste of time

Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

419 posts, read 1,528,948 times
Quote:
you are correct

Quote:
Yes they Have my friends were just talking about it I dont think they will go and enroll in school that they know would be a waste of time
http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/webmemlist.pdf
take a look at page 24

Morris Brown is not even listed as an Applicant for Accreditation.

perhaps Morris Brown is telling students that they will have their accreditation by the time that they graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or