U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 465 times

Advertisements

Hello , My sister is relocating to ATL and looking to buy a home in the suburb area, about 30 - 40 mins from the airport. she drives but would like to be able to connect to a train or bus if possible for times she don't want to drive to the airport daily. She'll like to live in a quiet area near restaurants/shopping areas
I hear the highways are very busy so an easy as possible ride to the airport daily. Public middle & high schools in the area a plus. What areas are safe to live & not more than 30 -40 mins to airport.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 07:59 PM

3,403 posts, read 2,877,510 times
Sandy springs is probably the best schools (good, not great), on the MARTA line to the airport.

Marietta also has passable schools, within the states timeframe, but not on MARTA.

East cobb has great schools, but not on the MARTA. Takes me 37-55 mins from east cobb to the airport, but there are other areas of East cobb that are probably 10 minutes closer.

What is her budget?
House or apt?
How important is the public transport piece?

If schools don't matter, you have the entire marta system to work with. If schools do matter, Decatur and sandy springs are your best bets, with portions of chamblee/Dunwoody thrown in the mix

Old 10-13-2020, 09:16 PM

9,739 posts, read 9,641,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack055 View Post
Hello , My sister is relocating to ATL and looking to buy a home in the suburb area, about 30 - 40 mins from the airport. she drives but would like to be able to connect to a train or bus if possible for times she don't want to drive to the airport daily. She'll like to live in a quiet area near restaurants/shopping areas
I hear the highways are very busy so an easy as possible ride to the airport daily. Public middle & high schools in the area a plus. What areas are safe to live & not more than 30 -40 mins to airport.

Thanks.
Some of the quietest and safest places with good and great schools within 30-40 minutes of the airport are going to be located to the south of the airport in areas like Tyrone, Newnan, Peachtree City, Sharpsburg and (most of) Fayetteville.

The schools in those five aforementioned quiet and safe areas range from good (in Newnan and Sharpsburg), to very good (in Tyrone and Fayetteville), to great (in Peachtree City).

Douglasville is a mostly quiet area with decent to good schools relatively close to the airport that your sister could look into.

(During the years that I worked at the Atlanta Airport, many of my co-workers commuted to work from Douglasville because it was a mostly quiet area with fairly good schools and many restaurant/shopping amenities that is located fairly close to the airport.)

Smyrna and Marietta are also mostly quiet areas with fairly good schools and even more amenities fairly close to the airport that your sister could look into.

The problem with all of those areas (as well as with almost all areas in metro Atlanta outside of the I-285 Perimeter Highway) is that public transit service is basically non-existent or is so limited as to be a non-factor.

If your sister does not mind living in a more urban environment, there are plenty of places inside of the I-285 Perimeter and even a little north of it that will provide access to public transportation (in the form of MARTA rail and bus) that will link her to the airport. It just will depend on what her budget for housing will be and what kind of metropolitan environment she will want to live in (suburban or urban?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta