Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 AM

431 posts, read 2,120,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
We used to drive from Macon to NYC twice a year. At first we went through 95 and then someone told us about the back way through the mountains. I-85 to Charlotte and then I-77 to I-81 to I-78. It was about the same distance but 2 hours quicker. I recommend you plan to stop half way. It is a long way to drive alone and you don't want to be looking for a hotel when you are tired.
Being that you've taken this route, which is a good half way stopping point and do you recommend any place in particular to sleep overnight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,741,339 times
I agree with 75 to 81, which lets you avoid Charlotte.

If Southern or Eastern Brooklyn, then when you get to NYC, you may want to cut through Staten Island instead of taking 78 all the way... The Verrazano Narrows bridge goes straight into Brooklyn without having to cut through Manhatten or take the Holland tunnel. You could also take the Tappanzee Bridge (287) and then cut through Bronx and Queens on the Eastern part of the city. However, if you're going to the Northwestern part of Brooklyn (e.g. Greenpoint), it probably makes more sense to go through Manhatten.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,025 times
The most direct route leaving from Gwinnett is to start with the 85 North. To avoid Charlotte traffic you can go through Hickory,NC. I have done this coming back to Atlanta from NYC and you really avoid a lot of Charlotte traffic.

I have stopped at Holiday Inn Express in Stephens City. This is about 550 miles from Duluth. This was a good place to stop. It is right next to the freeway so you can find it quickly without driving through an unknown town. There is also another suites hotel right next to this location. I have also stopped in Winchester,VA and I would definitely avoid it. It is difficult to believe a little town like this had such bad traffic.

Holiday Inn Express

Roanoke is about the halfway point in distance,I never stopped there overnight.

The route through North Carolina is fast. Once you get to Virginia everyone slows down and obeys the speed limit or very close to it. It is a beautiful drive through the mountains without a lot of traffic. My friends who are truckers all recommend the other route,85 to 95. I never took this route since I wanted to avoid Wahington DC and toll roads.

Route Part 1

Route Part 2

Last edited by capoeira; 05-05-2008 at 02:58 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM

33,318 posts, read 46,766,348 times
i drove from nyc to atl once i took 95 to 85 left 3:30 pm on a friday afternoon and got to stone mountain ga at 7:30 am on the dot. 14 hrs and i didn't hit 1 bit of traffic except in nj. i liked the ride just 2 hwys. that transferring thru the mountains doesnt sit well with me. i hit charlotte in about 10 hours. stopped three times. once in baltimore, once in south hill va off of 85 and again in south carolina just before the ga border just to fill up and bathroom breaks.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 PM

35 posts, read 221,219 times
I echo the I-81 route. From Gwinnett, you're better off going through Charlotte. Normally the I-75 route is better, but they just started some major construction in downtown Knoxville, so if you go that way, take the I-640 bypass.

My midway stopping point was always Winchester. Once you get into Pennsylvania, the costs go up and the options go down.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,381,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforeman View Post
I agree with the 75 to 81 to 78 route. You don't want to go through DC and Baltimore. You could get bad traffic. There are also more tolls. And Baltimore is a waterfront surrounded by one gigantic ghetto.
Just like Atlanta is surrounded by Confederate Flags and trailor parks..........

This part of Baltimore doesn't look anything like the Ghetto:

Last edited by $mk8795; 05-12-2008 at 03:33 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM

483 posts, read 2,086,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I'd like to drive up to Brooklyn, NY in a few weeks. I've never done it before. What is the fastest way to get up there. How many hours and if you are going off the beaten path, please describe what i should expect. I'm a female driving alone. I may have to stop half way. I don't know that i'll be able to do it in one shot.
Amtrak.

All things considered, it's cheaper, safer, and you'll get your sleep, so you won't waste a day trying to recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta