Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 23,801 times

Advertisements

We're relocating our family to the area later this year. On our journeys to the Atlanta area we have narrowed our search to Covington, Madison, and Grayson. Commuting for work is not an issue, but we would like to be close enough to enjoy the culture and entertainment that Atlanta offers (ie. day trips to museums, music, sports, etc.). Low crime and access to quality schools are most important. I have a good feel for Madison and Grayson, but what is Covington like? It seems like it would be a great small town to live and raise a family in...or is it? Are schools on there way up or declining? Same with crime? Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 03:22 PM

196 posts, read 732,305 times
Schools in Grayson are probably the best of all you mention. I would recommend this area....

Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 78,689 times
I've lived in Covington since 2005, Conyers from 1999-2005.

Overall, I like it. It's definitely experiencing some growing pains, but its stayed pretty affordable and an acceptable place to live.

Crime is on the increase, 6 murders have occurred in Newton County so far this year.

Schools seem to be experiencing lots of overcrowding. They are adding more schools, so that should improve. Quality of education? I do not have children so I cannot speak on it. I know the quality of Rockdale County's education has declined quite a bit over the time I've lived here.

It does not have that small town feel that you would expect it to have. Downtown Covington is nice, but there's very limited reasons to go there. There's commercial growth over by the City of Covington, along 278 and 142. More is coming to the south side at Brown's Bridge and Salem Road. Most of the area is rural, or subdivisions spread out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettct View Post
We're relocating our family to the area later this year. On our journeys to the Atlanta area we have narrowed our search to Covington, Madison, and Grayson. Commuting for work is not an issue, but we would like to be close enough to enjoy the culture and entertainment that Atlanta offers (ie. day trips to museums, music, sports, etc.). Low crime and access to quality schools are most important. I have a good feel for Madison and Grayson, but what is Covington like? It seems like it would be a great small town to live and raise a family in...or is it? Are schools on there way up or declining? Same with crime? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
If you're white and prefer suburbia, I'd reccommend Grayson or eastern Covington. In Covington, namely the Indian Creek M.S./Eastside HS districts.

If you're white and prefer a more rural environment, then Madison is your choice. A lot of history in Madison.

If you're black, you'd probably prefer west Newton. Namely the district of Clements MS/ West Newton ES.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoedee View Post
I've lived in Covington since 2005, Conyers from 1999-2005.

Overall, I like it. It's definitely experiencing some growing pains, but its stayed pretty affordable and an acceptable place to live.

Crime is on the increase, 6 murders have occurred in Newton County so far this year.

Schools seem to be experiencing lots of overcrowding. They are adding more schools, so that should improve. Quality of education? I do not have children so I cannot speak on it. I know the quality of Rockdale County's education has declined quite a bit over the time I've lived here.

It does not have that small town feel that you would expect it to have. Downtown Covington is nice, but there's very limited reasons to go there. There's commercial growth over by the City of Covington, along 278 and 142. More is coming to the south side at Brown's Bridge and Salem Road. Most of the area is rural, or subdivisions spread out.
The area east of Covington is rural, as well as the area north of Oxford, until you get to Gwinnett/West Walton. However, the area of Covington (West Newton) west of downtown is developed. It's more sparse, the farther you get from I-20, but that's about five to ten miles before it becomes "rural". In close proximity to I-20, the area is suburban all the way to the city of Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:52 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Covington is an exurb (disconnected suburb), and if you are commuting to Atlanta, expect it to be pretty long. Other than that, it's looked pretty nice every time I've visited it. Don't know much about it beyond that.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Covington is an exurb (disconnected suburb), and if you are commuting to Atlanta, expect it to be pretty long. Other than that, it's looked pretty nice every time I've visited it. Don't know much about it beyond that.
Nope. It is now connected.

An Exurb (disconnected) would be a place like Cartersville, Villa Rica, Temple, Monroe, Braselton, etc.

Places that were exurbs ten to fifteen years ago, such as Canton, Newnan, Loganville, Covington, Cumming, Dallas, Dacula, etc. are now connected.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:23 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Nope. It is now connected.
Yes, Covington is the last community on the 278 corridor going east that has been pulled into the city's 'orbit'...the effects of urbanization are quite evident, although elements of its' previous life as a small GA town still exist.
BTW, one of my favorites drives in the state is to continue east on 278 through the string of charming GA towns that haven't been touched by Atlanta...Social Circle, Madison, Greenboro, Union Point, Washington and Lincolnton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta