Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I find the notion ridiculous.

The rebellious colonists of the Americas were just as much "terrorists" if not more so, than any Confederate (if that is how you wish to classify justified resistance).
There were no cases that I'm aware of of rebellious colonists performing acts of violence at random on British subjects, spitting in their faces and humiliating them, or assassinating them.

I'm not saying there weren't any at all, I'm just saying none that were widespread, none 'sanctioned', secretly or otherwise.

The KKK was the "true face" of the Confederacy, just as the SS was the true face of the Nazis.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Were you bored or something? This topic was buried with the last poster back in June 2008!
I already tried that argument...it didn't seem to deter him. It's too bad that everyone won't just ignore his attempt to revive this sickening topic.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
There were no cases that I'm aware of of rebellious colonists performing acts of violence at random on British subjects, spitting in their faces and humiliating them, or assassinating them.
...And?

Quote:
The KKK was the "true face" of the Confederacy, just as the SS was the true face of the Nazis.

...No, it wasn't. The Confederacy didn't even exist at the time the KKK was forged. You're not making any sense.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
Hate to break this to ya buddy but the KKK was founded by disillusioned former Tennessee Confederate Officers in 1865, who at the time were still smarting over the awesome smackdown doled out to them by the Union. This history is chronicled in The New Georgia Encyclopedia, an online project which is fully endorsed by the University System of Georgia/GALILEO and the Office of the Governor, I might add.

But please, continue on with your historic revisionist viewpoints & your romanticizing of an ugly past. Lord knows I've seen enough of it in Georgia as of late.

Quote:
...No, it wasn't. The Confederacy didn't even exist at the time the KKK was forged. You're not making any sense.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Nathan Bedford Forrest and his followers were the genesis of the KKK and it wasn't until the beginning of reconstruction that the group formed.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nathan Bedford Forrest and his followers were the genesis of the KKK and it wasn't until the beginning of reconstruction that the group formed.
...and they took the Confederate battle flag as their symbol, as have other hate groups because it represents what? Hate.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Hate to break this to ya buddy but the KKK was founded by disillusioned former Tennessee Confederate Officers in 1865, who at the time were still smarting over the awesome smackdown doled out to them by the Union. This history is chronicled in The New Georgia Encyclopedia, an online project which is fully endorsed by the University System of Georgia/GALILEO and the Office of the Governor, I might add.

But please, continue on with your historic revisionist viewpoints & your romanticizing of an ugly past. Lord knows I've seen enough of it in Georgia as of late.
Actually, the article that you cite says that the KKK was founded by conservative white Southerners as a response to their disatisfaction with the Republican 'status quo', not the 'awesome smackdown doled out to them by the Union'. Since you apparently have a passion for academic integrity, I thought you should know that.

New Georgia Encyclopedia: Ku Klux Klan in the Reconstruction Era

Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
To-may-tos, To-mah-tos.

The KKK is an all around evil group & rotten to the core as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who wants to argue otherwise will be walking into a heckstorm with me. But if it really makes your day to be right then you got it, no arguments from me.

I've made my point. Peace & God bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, the article that you cite says that the KKK was founded by conservative white Southerners as a response to their disatisfaction with the Republican 'status quo', not the 'awesome smackdown doled out to them by the Union'. Since you apparently have a passion for academic integrity, I thought you should know that.

New Georgia Encyclopedia: Ku Klux Klan in the Reconstruction Era

Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,770 times
Quote:

I'm well aware of the history of the Klan, and you just confirmed what I said. The KKK was founded in the aftermath of the war due to economic problems, tense racial relations, poverty and servitude ensured by the Northern occupiers, etc. It had nothing to do with the Confederacy.

No one is arguing in favor of the Ku Klux Klan, as this has nothing to do with the Ku Klux Klan.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM

180 posts, read 188,464 times
Quote:
Actually, many supporters of the flag have made the argument and tried to explain/educate many times over, but there is a certain faction of the "The flag offends me, the war was about slavery, and Lincoln freed blacks!!" types that won't have it.
If it wasn't about slavery then what was it about? States' rights? Exactly what rights were the southerns denied? Could it be that they felt that their perceived right to own slaves was being encroach upon? If it wasn't about slavery then why did they feel the need to codify the "right" to own other human beings in their Constitution?

Have you even read the Confederate Constitution? Please explain this:

Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

Article I, Section 9: No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

Article IV. Section 2: The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.

Article IV. Section 3: No slave or other person held to service or labor in any State or Territory of the Confederate States, under the laws thereof, escaping or lawfully carried into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor; but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such slave belongs,. or to whom such service or labor may be due.

Article IV. Section 3: (3) The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several Sates; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form States to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected be Congress and by the Territorial government; and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories shall have the right to take to such Territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the States or Territories of the Confederate States.

Thats a lot of federal regulation over states for so called states rightists. I guess big government is fine when its protecting the institution of slavery?

Seems like you're had a bit too much of the "lost cause" kool-aid...unfortunately this line of thinking is prevalent in the South.

Lost Cause of the Confederacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta