Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 AM

23,448 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
True when you place overwhelming into it, but it still has one of the largest (estimated) lesbian populations in the U.S, regardless of the total overall percentage of people. Hey, that's not a problem. Lesbians are good painters - they painted my house in 1/3rd the time I could do it and there was no smudged marks or nuthin'. So far the only thing that confuses me is why I've never met a lesbian who owns a bonsai tree, but that's another topic.

Decatur is one of the few examples in the city of an area that was a complete washout that made a comeback. When I moved to Atlanta (early 80s), "bad" neighborhoods like Grant Park were in the middle of being bought up by brave souls who were redoing the neighborhoods and trying to turn them around. Downtown Decatur was a wasteland. When MARTA built the station downtown, it caused just about every small business around it to shut down. When you went down there all you saw were tons of scary half drunk folks waiting at a number of bus stops that all stopped in one area near the square. Other than the yearly arts festival nothing much went on. Today there's all kinds of stuff around there and high priced housing popping up all over, so it's one example at least of how a place that's dried up can turn around completely if enough of the right folks get their minds together.
Having grown up in Druid Hills during this period, my recollections of Decatur are a bit different than yours...while Decatur was not exactly a hotbed of excitement (we used to call it 'Biddy City', since the avg Decaturite back then seemed to be an 80 yo churchgoing widow with a blue rinse), I don't really recall it being a 'wasteland'. The neighborhoods were always solid, and the downtown was largely populated with businesses that had been there for decades (Clark's Music, Shields' Market), so the overall feel of the downtown area was 'tired'. If there was an area that could be deemed 'spooky', it would have been the bus pickup area in front of the MARTA station on Church (now moved to Swanton Way).
We used to refer to Decatur as 'Atlanta's Best Kept Secret', but it is a secret no more .
Lesbians = Bonsai Trees? Greg, while I usually appreciate your sense of humor, this one is completely over my head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 PM

41 posts, read 118,290 times
Atlantagreg30127: I am not Gay...I am the mother of 3 married daughters and 6 grandchildren. I am Divorced once, Widowed once. I am not a Southerner and my message is very clear on what I am looking for in housing, and location. Thank you for the "one-up" but no Thank you to Decatur!! I will not consider living in that area a very good choice. Remember, I like to Ballroom Dance and my preference of partner is a Man!!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 PM

41 posts, read 118,290 times
KEVK: Thank you for your suggestions. I am a once Divorced, and once Widowed Mother of 3 daughters. I also have 3 son-in-laws, and 6 grandchildren. The reason I mentioned Decatur is that one of my former co-workers family member moved there and said it was nice. I am not a Southerner but look warm weather so, I want a pleasant place to live with a good family feeling!! That is why I posted my message. I like to Ballroom dance and my preference for a partner is a handsome Man!! I certainly appreciate your kindness.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
Whoa....calm down. Decatur is actually very much a family oriented city. What Greg is referring to, with humor, is how the city of Decatur was once in decline and was revitalized. At the time there was a conspicuous number of lesbians (because gay people often are the ones who revitalize neighborhoods because they're often two income and no kids). But that was 20 years ago. Since then the area has been populated with young families. The lesbians are still there but they are now dispersed amongst non-lesbians.

And you should worry anyway. If you're not gay then a gay woman would have NO romantic interest in you. She might want to be your friend the way any woman with similar interests, like ballroom dancing, would. But to her you won't even be attractive.

How do I know this? My tenant is a lesbian and she told me once that because I am straight that I will never be considered attractive by lesbian women. At first I was offended, "What are you saying? That I'm not attractive?!?"

And she said, "I'm sure MEN find you attractive but I never could."

So, relax. Decatur is a wonderful place for anyone to live in. And please go there before you cross it off your list. You do not want to make an uninformed decision.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
Atlantagreg30127: I am not Gay...I am the mother of 3 married daughters and 6 grandchildren. I am Divorced once, Widowed once. I am not a Southerner and my message is very clear on what I am looking for in housing, and location. Thank you for the "one-up" but no Thank you to Decatur!! I will not consider living in that area a very good choice. Remember, I like to Ballroom Dance and my preference of partner is a Man!!
Decatur is a very nice place to live for many people. Close to Emory University.

City of Decatur, GA

I think the area for you is just north of Decatur. Still near Emory--Clairmont Rd or all the way down LaVista Rd to Tucker, GA.

Prices range from mid $200,000 into $1,000,000's.

Someone said there are nice, older condos around Henderson Mill Rd. I'm sorry I don't have a name. I'll try to find out.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
Honey, don't be afraid of Decatur...I'm a 52 yo straight divorcee with grown daughters and a live-in man and I love it here!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Honey, don't be afraid of Decatur...I'm a 52 yo straight divorcee with grown daughters and a live-in man and I love it here!
This thread is hilarious! A happy ending to my day as I sit in my midwestern hotel on a business trip.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This thread is hilarious! A happy ending to my day as I sit in my midwestern hotel on a business trip.
Glad my lifestyle is such a source of amusement to you

Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Glad my lifestyle is such a source of amusement to you
Oh gosh, sorry, that's not what I meant (but maybe the smilie means you knew that?). I just meant there was some funny stuff there generally. And I thought the "Honey" appellation was cute. I turn 52 this month and am white, straight, with husband and one teen daughter, so your lifestyle is hardly one to strike me as exotic.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Oh gosh, sorry, that's not what I meant (but maybe the smilie means you knew that?). I just meant there was some funny stuff there generally. And I thought the "Honey" appellation was cute. I turn 52 this month and am white, straight, with husband and one teen daughter, so your lifestyle is hardly one to strike me as exotic.
Honey, I was laughing right along with you...30 years ago , this little debutante never thought she'd be where she is today...but then she never thought she'd be this happy, either .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta