Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 03:13 PM

561 posts, read 338,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie1206 View Post
these are fantastic responses and I'm happy to know that PTC is a place that emotes inclusion and embraces ALL. I hope that we get our offer accepted on this foreclosure. it could truly be a beauty ironically it's a listing that one of the fonts (I think PTCDAD) posted on here. So thank you so much!!! we fell in love with it upon sight. how are the property taxes in peachtree?
My millage last year was 31.049 all included, county, city etc...so on $490K FMV I paid just a bit over $6K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I think it is a little misleading to say Peachtree City brings in some diverse shoppers.

Fayetteville does this with the Pavillion, Peachtree city is a little too far out the way to grab Clayco and South Fulton shoppers... unless they stay deep down in fairburn. I like the vibe Peachtree City, but diverse never crosses my mind if I’m down there for business.

If you want to be that far south with AA representation, then Newnan is your move.
Respectfully disagree. Are you going to see as many brown faces percentage wise as if you would over in The Fayetteville Pavillion, of course not being that it’s right there next to the majority black North Fayette with Clayton County right up the road. But if I had to put a percentage on the number of minority face you will see while out shopping, I would say it’s about 30% percent.

I work in Coweta, and while you have West Newnan as the black side of town, the shopping areas appear to be about the same diversity mixture as PTC when balanced by the largely white east Newnan and rural Coweta. To find find a home in the price range they seek with decent schools, they will be pretty much limited to Arbor Springs. You won’t find diversity anywhere near there, and it’s a bit removed from Newnan. You will actually find less diversity in the Northgate School cluster and a different environment since the zone is largely exurban/rural with small clusters of subdivisions scattered throughout. Sadly I’ve had a number of my black students tell me they would rather be at East Coweta High because they find it easier to fit in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 08:26 PM

34 posts, read 39,245 times
thank you so much everyone.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
My millage last year was 31.049 all included, county, city etc...so on $490K FMV I paid just a bit over $6K.

Respectfully disagree. Are you going to see as many brown faces percentage wise as if you would over in The Fayetteville Pavillion, of course not being that it’s right there next to the majority black North Fayette with Clayton County right up the road. But if I had to put a percentage on the number of minority face you will see while out shopping, I would say it’s about 30% percent.

I work in Coweta, and while you have West Newnan as the black side of town, the shopping areas appear to be about the same diversity mixture as PTC when balanced by the largely white east Newnan and rural Coweta. To find find a home in the price range they seek with decent schools, they will be pretty much limited to Arbor Springs. You won’t find diversity anywhere near there, and it’s a bit removed from Newnan. You will actually find less diversity in the Northgate School cluster and a different environment since the zone is largely exurban/rural with small clusters of subdivisions scattered throughout. Sadly I’ve had a number of my black students tell me they would rather be at East Coweta High because they find it easier to fit in there.
I get what you are saying, but I stick by my original comment. Whenever I stop by the target in PTC I see like 5 black people. If being around AA is important to the poster, and it is, id say Duluth-Suwanee. Not that these areas are like south Fulton or anything, but they are very diverse. The signage in these areas aren’t even English most of the time. Add to that, you have endless restaraunts and grown lounges at your disposal in that part of town.

In Peachtree City, you have places like tavern on 74 and Big Daddy’s (oyster bar). I encourage the poster to look at the crowds from these places on social media, that is what being a socialite looks like in PTC. Peachtree city is cool if you are an older white person, in the pilot network or a b-list celeb looking for a second home. That’s really it. Let’s not kid ourselves here.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:42 AM

None one here would be foolish to try to compare PTC with Duluth or Suwanee on a diversity level. You may be losing the context here. It's simply a discussion advising the OP not to take PTC off the list over the discussion on diversity. We are are also looking at home prices, safety, school system since it's dealing with a family and overall quality of life by discussing the things and places the OP brought up. PTC also offers a uniqueness that puts it's on the list of many looking to relocate, but comes with downsides that need to be discussed. That's all we are doing, not saying choose this over that, but more so saying this is why I chose this over that.

On your latter point, I invite you to come down to Southern Shores in Kedron and spend some time. I will show you neighborhood that is quickly changing from older white empty nesters to younger and more diverse families. 4 AA families are within one block of my home. Join us for a backyard BBQ this summer and I will show you a PTC you are unfortunately missing. You will find a neighborhood full of families with children. Most of us moved in over the last 10 years..the other homes are older empty nesters. Who do you think will be replacing them in those homes in the next 10. Probably people like the OP who are looking for the same things we were.

We had lunch with friends at Grinds and Wines yesterday, right next to Tavern on 74. Over the course of the time we were there, it was about 30-40% black folk. I happened to notice Tavern on 74 and the Harley riders going in and thinking not my type of bar. Nothing to do with what we are talking about and I'm certain I can find a similar place with a similar customer base in Duluth.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
None one here would be foolish to try to compare PTC with Duluth or Suwanee on a diversity level. You may be losing the context here. It's simply a discussion advising the OP not to take PTC off the list over the discussion on diversity. We are are also looking at home prices, safety, school system since it's dealing with a family and overall quality of life by discussing the things and places the OP brought up. PTC also offers a uniqueness that puts it's on the list of many looking to relocate, but comes with downsides that need to be discussed. That's all we are doing, not saying choose this over that, but more so saying this is why I chose this over that.

On your latter point, I invite you to come down to Southern Shores in Kedron and spend some time. I will show you neighborhood that is quickly changing from older white empty nesters to younger and more diverse families. 4 AA families are within one block of my home. Join us for a backyard BBQ this summer and I will show you a PTC you are unfortunately missing. You will find a neighborhood full of families with children. Most of us moved in over the last 10 years..the other homes are older empty nesters. Who do you think will be replacing them in those homes in the next 10. Probably people like the OP who are looking for the same things we were.

We had lunch with friends at Grinds and Wines yesterday, right next to Tavern on 74. Over the course of the time we were there, it was about 30-40% black folk. I happened to notice Tavern on 74 and the Harley riders going in and thinking not my type of bar. Nothing to do with what we are talking about and I'm certain I can find a similar place with a similar customer base in Duluth.
I’m not saying it is horrible place, but if someone explicitly makes a comment about wanting to be around AAs and diversity, then the suggestions shouldn’t go to the place almost the complete opposite. The OP is in their 30s as well.

I get that PTC is diversifying and all that, but at a much slower rate. And it is very isolated. 10-15 miles north you have hoodish areas (fairburn/Union city and clayco). So it makes feel even more isolated because there isn’t a lot of intermingling between PTC and those areas. The OP doesn’t sound like they are used to that.

I encourage the OP to visit before making that decision. But their posts lead me to believe PTC is no-go.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:00 PM

I totally get what you are saying and our desire is to have Birdie1206 and family go into this eyes wide open with the most information possible. I relocated to this area in late 2019 looking for much of the same things and my list had many of the same locations. The schools and safe environment were the dominant factors though. I ended up in PTC so hopefully my experience holds value for them.

Take a trip down to Drake Field and Picnic Park if you are down this way on a weekend. The family and I just came from there from an afternoon outing to the playground for my daughter. You would come away feeling like someone had picked PTC up and dropped it down in Gwinnett on 85. Hispanic, Asian, black and white. I had a conversation with two lovely Black women who had traveled to PTC from College Park and Jonesboro to meet and enjoy the afternoon at Lake Peachtree, and they were sharing the location on the phone with family for a future visit. So this is all just to say to understand life in PTC, you have to live here or talk to those who do. On paper it appears a lot less diverse than it is in daily life and leisure, in the public places it appears a lot more diverse than it really is to live here.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:43 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,359 times
If you're considering Alpharetta, I'd also go a little further out and check out up and coming Woodstock (Cherokee County).

WOODSTOCK, GA -- Woodstock is one of the 50 best places in the United States to live, according to a new ranking by Money magazine. The annual list, released this week, ranks communities based on factors such as safety, cost of living and diversity. Out of communities on this year's list, Woodstock ranked No. 17.Sep 22, 2020

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M63179-88568

Last edited by columbusboy8; 03-14-2021 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 03:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
@Birdie1206

Greetings, and an advance welcome to the ATL area!

With all the talk of Peachtree City, I just wanted to reference a quote from your original post:

"[...] we are moving from a town that has zero diversity, no restaurants/things to do. We fell in love with our home and kind of ignored the fact that the town is somewhat dead. 5 years later and now facing a relocation out of state, we want to make sure we don't repeat the same mistake. (loving the house, not the area)."

Don't get me wrong; Peachtree City is a perfectly nice place, and the golf cart paths are a unique touch. The schools are good, it's quiet, you can get quite a bit of house for the money, it's safe, and so on. But as far as amenities and "restaurants/things to do" are concerned, it's very much a typical suburb. Plenty of chain options, and probably a few local ones, too, but not anything of particular renown. It's also quite a distance from the parts of the metro area that do offer more unique, independent, interesting options. The description of your frustration and disappointment with your current town sounds like it could easily apply to Peachtree City as well. I wouldn't call it "dead" - again, it's a very nice place, but it's far from exciting. You might well end up liking it, but you should absolutely visit before deciding on anything.

Given the description of what you're looking for, I would focus on close-in suburbs like Decatur, Marietta and Roswell, as close to their historic downtowns as possible. Alpharetta could also be a good choice, as could Brookhaven and Chamblee.

Here's an example of what is available in your budget in downtown Marietta. This house sold last summer for $1.66M, and is within easy walking distance of the diverse, highly walkable, very fun and historic Marietta Square, and all the independent restaurants, bars, shops, art galleries, festivals and such that go along with it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...14274837_zpid/

Other close-in, historic suburbs have similar offerings, and of course there'd be no need to spend this kind of money in most of them, including Marietta; the above is an exceptional listing.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-16-2021, 12:09 PM

34 posts, read 39,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
@Birdie1206

Greetings, and an advance welcome to the ATL area!

With all the talk of Peachtree City, I just wanted to reference a quote from your original post:

"[...] we are moving from a town that has zero diversity, no restaurants/things to do. We fell in love with our home and kind of ignored the fact that the town is somewhat dead. 5 years later and now facing a relocation out of state, we want to make sure we don't repeat the same mistake. (loving the house, not the area)."

Don't get me wrong; Peachtree City is a perfectly nice place, and the golf cart paths are a unique touch. The schools are good, it's quiet, you can get quite a bit of house for the money, it's safe, and so on. But as far as amenities and "restaurants/things to do" are concerned, it's very much a typical suburb. Plenty of chain options, and probably a few local ones, too, but not anything of particular renown. It's also quite a distance from the parts of the metro area that do offer more unique, independent, interesting options. The description of your frustration and disappointment with your current town sounds like it could easily apply to Peachtree City as well. I wouldn't call it "dead" - again, it's a very nice place, but it's far from exciting. You might well end up liking it, but you should absolutely visit before deciding on anything.

Given the description of what you're looking for, I would focus on close-in suburbs like Decatur, Marietta and Roswell, as close to their historic downtowns as possible. Alpharetta could also be a good choice, as could Brookhaven and Chamblee.

Here's an example of what is available in your budget in downtown Marietta. This house sold last summer for $1.66M, and is within easy walking distance of the diverse, highly walkable, very fun and historic Marietta Square, and all the independent restaurants, bars, shops, art galleries, festivals and such that go along with it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...14274837_zpid/

Other close-in, historic suburbs have similar offerings, and of course there'd be no need to spend this kind of money in most of them, including Marietta; the above is an exceptional listing.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions. Good luck in your search!
Wow thank you!! Your message couldn't have come at a better time as we just learned our offer on a site unseen reno property in PTC was rejected for a cash offer from another buyer. We were bummed but reading this has given us renewed hope once again. I should again reiterate how important diversity and access to life/energy/culture and FOOD is for us. So having all of these perspectives from locals has been such a help. How is Vinings? I don't want to be in Buckhead due to the issues w spikes in crime but also bc I keep hearing its snooty and not that great of ppl/personalities? Also, I absolutely love the homes in Milton but it gives me kind of weird vibes at the same time. Can't put my finger on it.

Thank you so much!

Old 03-16-2021, 02:09 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie1206 View Post
I should again reiterate how important diversity and access to life/energy/culture and FOOD is for us. So having all of these perspectives from locals has been such a help. How is Vinings?
Located just inside of the Northwest I-285 Perimeter in southeast Cobb County, Vinings is a largely affluent, yet fairly very diverse inner suburb that provides very good access to lots of high-quality metropolitan amenities on metro Atlanta’s amenity-rich Northside.

... High-quality metropolitan amenities that include Vinings’ small historic village area at and around the intersection of Paces Ferry and Paces Mill roads, the Cumberland area (including Cumberland Mall, the Atlanta Braves’ new Major League Baseball stadium at Truist Park and adjoining popular mixed-use development at The Battery), the popular and beloved Chattahoochee River Valley recreational area, etc.

As of 2019, the racial/ethnic breakdown of Vinings’ population was as follows:
51.6% Non-Hispanic White
32.2% Black
6.6% Asian
6.5% Hispanic
4.4% Multi-racial

Vinings has a sizable population of highly-affluent residents, many of whom may send their children to some of metro Atlanta’s most prestigious private schools.

Ironically, Vinings also has a sizable population of working-class/lower-income transient residents who live in the many, many multi-family (apartment/condominium/townhome) complexes scattered around the 30339 zip code that Vinings is located in.

Vinings also has a sizable population of young professionals who are attracted to the area’s centralized location that is highly convenient to well-paying jobs and loads of metropolitan amenities.

Vinings is served by many of the same public schools that serves the neighboring Smyrna area that is also very popular with well-paid young professional singles and families.

The public schools that serve the Vinings-Smyrna area (or “Smynings” as it is sometimes called) do not feature the same high academic ratings that other parts of the Atlanta suburbs may feature.

But even without the gaudy ratings that some other suburban Atlanta public schools may feature, the public schools that serve the Vinings-Smyrna area have been displaying marked improvement in recent years because of so many young professionals that have been moving into the Vinings/Smyrna area in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta