U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM

79 posts, read 377,755 times

Advertisements

I demand a recount. (ha ha)

I live in Johns Creek and got a 15.

Here's what I can and DO walk to:
Elementary School (I can also walk to the middle school but no child there yet)
Preschool
Playground/Park

Here's what I could walk to if there were better sidewalks:
Publix
Dominoes
Italian restaurant
Nail Salon
Chinese restaurant
Mail Center

Actually, for a suburb, I'm pretty impressed with what I could walk to if I had more sidewalks and crosswalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,397,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Goodness, when I lived in the West End of Vancouver, Canada (a densely populated urban area) I never bought a grocery item that I didn't carry home from the supermarket by walking. My car was just used for driving to work in the suburbs.

Now about my current location in NE Cobb - it scores a 29. This is apparently because I am only .24 miles from a grocery store that I did not know existed. Behind my subdivision is a creek, and on the other side of the creek are the backyards of some homes in Fulton County. According to the walk score map, if I climbed over my back fence, crossed the portion of a neighbor's wooded property that runs behind my yard, forged Willeo Creek, then bushwhacked through somebody's back yard over there, I would apparently come out near to a convenience store.
LOL--On another forum there is a poster from SE Alaska. She posts about carrying grocery items home in her backpack and thumbing a ride on occasion.
At times this lifestyle sounds good to me but I don't think I will be relocating there anytime soon.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:04 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,241,232 times
I will ride my bike to the Edgewood Shopping Center Kroger and put it all in my back pack. What doesn't fit gets wrapped around my wrists and dangles from the handlebars.

It looks very ridiculous.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM

20,973 posts, read 32,955,214 times
My French friends carry their shopping bag with them to work, and stop at the market on their walk home. It's an everyday ritual with them, and everything is fresh.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM

I am thinking about changing my ways and instead of doing a big grocery trip every Sunday for the entire week...just hopping on my bike for whatever we need for dinner and to make lunch for the next day....

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM

20,973 posts, read 32,955,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I am thinking about changing my ways and instead of doing a big grocery trip every Sunday for the entire week...just hopping on my bike for whatever we need for dinner and to make lunch for the next day....
Nice...it's just that it sounds like work...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Well...I hate exercising in a gym. I loathe it. It feels like high decadence of the wealthy elite (I know...I have an issue).

But I love exercising outside and if I can combine it with daily life then I feel all accomplished and stuff...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,951,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Well...I hate exercising in a gym. I loathe it. It feels like high decadence of the wealthy elite (I know...I have an issue).

But I love exercising outside and if I can combine it with daily life then I feel all accomplished and stuff...
I'm with you, pless. I was my fittest ever in grad school, when I lived a half-hour bike ride from campus. It was uphill going there too - but a nice downhill ride home at the end of the day.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM

For me it was in college, when I didn't have a car and had to get everywhere by bike. Most girls gained the Freshman Fifteen. I lost it.

I'm trying to get back to some semblance of that.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,951,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Goodness, when I lived in the West End of Vancouver, Canada (a densely populated urban area) I never bought a grocery item that I didn't carry home from the supermarket by walking. My car was just used for driving to work in the suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL--On another forum there is a poster from SE Alaska. She posts about carrying grocery items home in her backpack and thumbing a ride on occasion.
At times this lifestyle sounds good to me but I don't think I will be relocating there anytime soon.
At the period when I first lived in Vancouver's West End, it was about as different from the SE Alaska experience as can be imagined. This was in the period before Vancouver got exasperated by the hookers in the West End (residential) and the police moved them out. (They went to a portion of the business district). The bad part about walking home with groceries was not the walking with the groceries, but the johns. A car would slow and the driver would look me appraisingly up and down. I'd really want to have the opportunity to say "You idiot! I am wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and carrying two large bags of groceries. How could you possibly be stupid enough to think I am in the business? Those two girls on the corner, in the makeup and swimsuits and legwarmers, THOSE are the ladies you are looking for!" (I'm not making up the part about swimsuits and legwarmers. For a period of time, that was the favored attire).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or