U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,287,393 times

Advertisements

My house in Smyrna is a 38. The condo I own and rent to someone on Spring Rd is a 40. Not very accurate because it missed a whole bunch of stores. The condo is right near a whole ton of strip malls and most of the stores weren't included. The Cumberland mall is also a short walk from the condo and it only included THREE stores from the whole mall and nothing from the food court! It also didn't include many places on the Cobb Parkway and nothing on the part of Spring Rd near Cumberland Blvd (including Chin Chins).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 AM

144 posts, read 285,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Davis View Post
My current hood in Manhattan scored a 98 while my new home in midtown Atlanta as of July will be an 83. I'm pretty happy with that... Love the city life!!!

You're in the right spot (the ONLY spot) if you want walkable city life.. we don't do that here. Our suburbs were conceived entirely to prevent walking, actually, by spreading things as far apart as humanly possible.

Or so it seems. Brilliant!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
You're in the right spot (the ONLY spot) if you want walkable city life.. we don't do that here. Our suburbs were conceived entirely to prevent walking, actually, by spreading things as far apart as humanly possible.

Or so it seems. Brilliant!
The area around Atlanta was originally farmland.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
You're in the right spot (the ONLY spot) if you want walkable city life.
Believe it or not, DIS, there are other neighborhoods that offer it...mine for starters.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
My house in Smyrna is a 38. The condo I own and rent to someone on Spring Rd is a 40. Not very accurate because it missed a whole bunch of stores. The condo is right near a whole ton of strip malls and most of the stores weren't included. The Cumberland mall is also a short walk from the condo and it only included THREE stores from the whole mall and nothing from the food court! It also didn't include many places on the Cobb Parkway and nothing on the part of Spring Rd near Cumberland Blvd (including Chin Chins).
If this includes walking down Hwy 41 then the score should be lower. -)

And the test couldn't factor in heat/humidity soon to be an issue.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

And the test couldn't factor in heat/humidity soon to be an issue.
Ugh, once that kicks in the whole town will score a 0

Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 AM

I agree that walking is good and certainly leads to better health. I just cannot conceive of carrying liters of juice, milk, soft drinks further than the parking lot or a bag of potatoes.

Those that live around Lenox/Phipps should certainly score well. Brookhaven, too.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,194,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Mine scores *6* out of 100.

But I frankly don't care. The only place I've cared to walk (besides around the circle to exercise or to the pool) is to a nearby park.
Beat you!!!
Hit the 3 here.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:58 PM

144 posts, read 285,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Believe it or not, DIS, there are other neighborhoods that offer it...mine for starters.
Actually, since you mention it, Decatur is a 2nd. If I were going to stay in Atlanta, I'd have to move over there.

As for the guy who mentioned the land around ATL was farmland, that's interesting but irrelevant to the fact that you can't pick a spot to park downtown and walk to other attractions very easily, if at all. (compared to other Southern places like Austin, New Orleans, etc) You have to drive to get between walkable neighborhoods/blocks of shops.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Actually, since you mention it, Decatur is a 2nd. If I were going to stay in Atlanta, I'd have to move over there.

As for the guy who mentioned the land around ATL was farmland, that's interesting but irrelevant to the fact that you can't pick a spot to park downtown and walk to other attractions very easily, if at all. (compared to other Southern places like Austin, New Orleans, etc) You have to drive to get between walkable neighborhoods/blocks of shops.
I mentioned that/farmland, not a guy--not-that-that-matters.
'Atlanta'=metro area
I assumed you meant the infrastructure.

The city was burned? They had to blast through too much granite?

People came to Atlanta to do business I suppose the leaders of the community were focused upon that. I don't know about Austin but New Orleans was/is located near the Mississippi--'The Big Easy'--things were easier there. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or