Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 09:31 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The public rarely wants the whole truth.

Two of those people who were murdered were white, but the news media and the public makes it all about the Asians, because they want it to be all about "white supremacy" and "religious whackos".

99% don't understand or care about the nature of the business attacked. They'd rather hate a certain skin color than accept any truths. Ignorant people are very dangerous, and society is filled with them. The fact that they refuse to see their own ignorance makes them even more dangerous.
Sadly, people like that are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Sadly, people like that are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
It's really unfortunate that I can't rep you as often as I want to.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,560,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Racism exists but that's not the topic here. Your first article has zero to do with the topic.
Let me give you a hand:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...g-atlanta.html

P&C thread, up to 51 pages. Rage and rant, blame trump, whatever you feel like, to your hearts content in the P&C forum.
Incidents and their ramifications don't occur in a vacuum.

Racism is an issue because the current environment immediately brings up the topic when an incident like this occurs. It's not a matter of having an agenda. When incidents like these and others occur, there is a risk of others going out and doing the same thing. The same thing was seen when violence against Muslims occurred, helped by the FBI staging fake ISIS terrorist plots in the US. Keep reinforcing a message like Trump did and it has consequences.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:53 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
While its been reported that the suspect claims that he wasn't targeting Asians but rather "places of temptation", it is certainly possible that race did play a factor. I'm pretty sure he is lawyered up (or at least understands the stakes) and advised not to make any statements related to race but rather his mental state.

The penalties for a hate crime are higher..... It is in his best interest to not have the case handled as a hate crime and it is onus on the prosecution/authorities to prove otherwise.

Either way... we don't really know... anyone who implies fact is really just speculating.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:19 PM

Most Americans are very accepting of the diversity in our country. A fringe, radical few aren't. When that fringe takes their hated out on others, the idiot, uneducated population pours in to proclaim that Americans are racist.
It's pathetic.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

The penalties for a hate crime are higher..... It is in his best interest to not have the case handled as a hate crime and it is onus on the prosecution/authorities to prove otherwise.
Long is looking at minimum life imprisonment (if not the death penalty), not sure how much more punitive the state can get.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:13 PM

154 posts, read 96,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Most Americans are very accepting of the diversity in our country. A fringe, radical few aren't. When that fringe takes their hated out on others, the idiot, uneducated population pours in to proclaim that Americans are racist.
It's pathetic.
So let me get this right! You are not upset that America was founded on racism or that racism still exists in this country. You are mad because people "proclaim that Americans are racists" when a racist kills multiple people of a specific race or background. Interesting! First off, no one said that all white people are racists (so calm your nerves). Secondly, it just seems suspicious to me when someone who claims not to be racists is so defensive when race subjects come up. The fact that things like this incident keep happening around America should open your eyes to the very problem that we (minorities) have been screaming about for centuries. Yet you refuse to open your eyes but scream about others being "uneducated" or idiots... pot calling the kettle black.

There has been an increase in attacks against Asians in the last year: "The research released by reporting forum Stop AAPI Hate on Tuesday revealed nearly 3,800 incidents were reported over the course of roughly a year during the pandemic. It’s a significantly higher number than last year's count of about 2,600 hate incidents nationwide over the span of five months. Women made up a far higher share of the reports, at 68 percent, compared to men, who made up 29 percent of respondents. The nonprofit does not report incidents to police (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...ainst-n1261257). That is just Asians. If I were to add in Jews, Blacks, Muslims, Women, etc, can you not see how this is a major problem in America that needs to be discussed and rectified?

"US hate crime highest in more than a decade - FBI" - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54968498.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:28 PM

712 posts, read 700,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
While its been reported that the suspect claims that he wasn't targeting Asians but rather "places of temptation", it is certainly possible that race did play a factor. I'm pretty sure he is lawyered up (or at least understands the stakes) and advised not to make any statements related to race but rather his mental state.

Either way... we don't really know... anyone who implies fact is really just speculating.
Under Georgia statute he can be charged with a hate crime against women. The fact that he targeted Asian sites exclusively by itself will open the possibility of a colorable claim based on race. And we’ll have to see what if anything is uncovered during investigation. Obviously I don’t know how he’ll be charged but I think there is a decent chance the charges include hate crime(s) of some sort.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
So let me get this right! You are not upset that America was founded on racism or that racism still exists in this country. You are mad because people "proclaim that Americans are racists" when a racist kills multiple people of a specific race or background. Interesting! First off, no one said that all white people are racists (so calm your nerves). Secondly, it just seems suspicious to me when someone who claims not to be racists is so defensive when race subjects come up. The fact that things like this incident keep happening around America should open your eyes to the very problem that we (minorities) have been screaming about for centuries. Yet you refuse to open your eyes but scream about others being "uneducated" or idiots... pot calling the kettle black.

There has been an increase in attacks against Asians in the last year: "The research released by reporting forum Stop AAPI Hate on Tuesday revealed nearly 3,800 incidents were reported over the course of roughly a year during the pandemic. It’s a significantly higher number than last year's count of about 2,600 hate incidents nationwide over the span of five months. Women made up a far higher share of the reports, at 68 percent, compared to men, who made up 29 percent of respondents. The nonprofit does not report incidents to police (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...ainst-n1261257). That is just Asians. If I were to add in Jews, Blacks, Muslims, Women, etc, can you not see how this is a major problem in America that needs to be discussed and rectified?

"US hate crime highest in more than a decade - FBI" - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54968498.
I'm being defensive? Me, a black female? Oh, brother. I've experience more racism in my life than what most people will ever read about. I still don't see America as a racist county.
If you do, move to a "better place".

Old 03-19-2021, 03:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Incidents and their ramifications don't occur in a vacuum.

Racism is an issue because the current environment immediately brings up the topic when an incident like this occurs. It's not a matter of having an agenda. When incidents like these and others occur, there is a risk of others going out and doing the same thing. The same thing was seen when violence against Muslims occurred, helped by the FBI staging fake ISIS terrorist plots in the US. Keep reinforcing a message like Trump did and it has consequences.
Once again - there is no evidence this event occurred due to racism (apart from some obscure and unvalidated quote from a foreign article), on the contrary the evidence so far from multiple sources is it occurred because of the shooters sex addiction and troubled mental state. That's it man, you and the other guy keep on promoting a false narrative.

However you have a point you mentioned earlier regarding copy cat crimes. But the tragically ironic thing is that it's a self-fulfilling tragedy. The more people and the press promote this incorrectly as a hate crime against asians, and promote the false narrative, give publicity to it, like the other misinformed poster, the more that other nuts will pick it up and say "hey let me do the same thing and I will be famous". Now, in additional, this poster has mentioned Trump so many times in this thread that tells me he doesn't even care about the woman that were killed, they are simply tools to him, objects, it seems he's more interested in politics than people. That's disgusting.

If we must pick it up as a hate crime, let's pick it up as a hate crime against sex workers, let's pick it up as a hate crime regarding human trafficking. Both are serious issues that are currently being ignored here. Both cause human suffering. Why are we ignoring it? Because it does not carry a political agenda. Again - disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta