Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:48 PM

27 posts, read 21,199 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

So I've decided I want to move from Western Maryland to Atlanta, and am wondering what the apartment market is currently like. I visited months ago and was taken aback by how friendly everyone is in the South. I also enjoy big city life with all the nightlife, bars, restaurants and social life. I'm a single, college educated, physically fit, and socially active male. My favorite part of the city was near the Belt Line, starting near Piedmont Park. But all the fun parts of the city seem cool. I do know that, like any big city, there are seedy areas. Coming from Western Maryland, I am used to a lower cost of living. While I would like to keep my rent under $1200 a month, I know that may not be reasonable, given my above stated interests and lifestyle. Perhaps covid has changed the market a bit, I do not know. What kind of advice would you folks offer? What neighborhoods should I investigate? What is the rent pricing market like in Atlanta? Also, I've already been vaccinated for covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 12:32 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler0311 View Post
Hi guys!

So I've decided I want to move from Western Maryland to Atlanta, and am wondering what the apartment market is currently like. I visited months ago and was taken aback by how friendly everyone is in the South. I also enjoy big city life with all the nightlife, bars, restaurants and social life. I'm a single, college educated, physically fit, and socially active male. My favorite part of the city was near the Belt Line, starting near Piedmont Park. But all the fun parts of the city seem cool. I do know that, like any big city, there are seedy areas. Coming from Western Maryland, I am used to a lower cost of living. While I would like to keep my rent under $1200 a month, I know that may not be reasonable, given my above stated interests and lifestyle. Perhaps covid has changed the market a bit, I do not know. What kind of advice would you folks offer? What neighborhoods should I investigate? What is the rent pricing market like in Atlanta? Also, I've already been vaccinated for covid.
Two very important questions for you are:

1) Will you be commuting to (and from) work everyday, or will you be working remotely/from home?

And...

2) If you will be commuting to and from work each day, where in the Atlanta metropolitan area will you be commuting to and from for work?

Your commute status (whether you commute to and from work each day, where in metro Atlanta you may have to commute to and from work, and/or whether you may be working remotely and/or from home) will be a major determining factor in where in metro Atlanta you may choose to live.

During normal times, pre-pandemic, Atlanta traffic could be a beast, so living in an area that might be at least relatively geographically convenient to where one may have to commute to and from work each day.

Working remote/from home obviously gives one much more freedom in where they may be able to live.

Though an Atlanta rental market that has continued to remain competitive through the pandemic (due in large part to multiple high-profile corporate relocation and expansion announcements through the pandemic, including the recent announcement that Microsoft intends to make Atlanta the site of its East Coast headquarters) potentially could make finding something within your budget of $1200 a challenge in the hottest and most popular areas.

If you want to live in a hot/popular Intown area, you probably may have to (and very likely will have to) include one-bedroom apartments as part of your apartment search to increase your chances of finding something within your budget in a desirable area.

Otherwise, if you cannot find something within your budget in a hot/popular and/or desirable area, you may have to expand your housing search to include both less popular areas in the city (inside of the I-285 Perimeter loop highway) and/or livable areas that may be further out from the Atlanta urban core than you might like.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:15 AM

Interesting points. Yeah, I would be looking for what some might describe as a "cute" little apartment. Either 1 bedroom or studio. I don't need a whole lot of space as I tend not to be the most materialistic type of person. I've got my wall art, clothes, basic electronics, and that's about it. I can acquire new furniture once I get moved in. Are 1 bedroom places outside of the norm in Atlanta? I definitely do prefer to have my own in-unit washer/dryer, but that can be negotiated.

As far as work goes, I have enough of a financial cushion that I will probably start focusing on my job search once I'm there. Probably working an office job. Once I get working, I should have no issue with a $1600 month rent, but I won't need to find a job for a few months upon moving there. I don't mind driving to work, but I'm used to biking everywhere.

I kind of want to find a good place near some drinking establishments, other friendly single people, and fun. I thought the beltline area was ideal when I visited. But it depends on what the areas and spaces look like. If that area is outside of my budget, then I am open to new suggestions.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Interesting points. Yeah, I would be looking for what some might describe as a "cute" little apartment. Either 1 bedroom or studio. I don't need a whole lot of space as I tend not to be the most materialistic type of person. I've got my wall art, clothes, basic electronics, and that's about it. I can acquire new furniture once I get moved in. Are 1 bedroom places outside of the norm in Atlanta? I definitely do prefer to have my own in-unit washer/dryer, but that can be negotiated.

As far as work goes, I have enough of a financial cushion that I will probably start focusing on my job search once I'm there. Probably working an office job. Once I get working, I should have no issue with a $1600 month rent, but I won't need to find a job for a few months upon moving there. I don't mind driving to work, but I'm used to biking everywhere.

I kind of want to find a good place near some drinking establishments, other friendly single people, and fun. I thought the beltline area was ideal when I visited. But it depends on what the areas and spaces look like. If that area is outside of my budget, then I am open to new suggestions.
In any economic environment, but particularly in the current pandemic-affected economic environment, it is strongly recommended that you very likely first try and get a job or good source of income lined up before you look for apartment housing.

Many offices started working remotely/from home at the start of the pandemic crisis in March 2020 and continue to do so in large numbers today as the pandemic continues in many respects.

It just probably would be a really good idea for you to get a read on the current state of the job market in metro Atlanta before you move here assuming that you will quickly find an office job (or any other job) in an Atlanta job market that often can tend towards a higher level of competitiveness for all but the most highly-skilled and/or in-demand job candidates.

You don’t want to end up misreading the Atlanta job market and end up potentially depleting your savings because your job search either took much longer than you might have anticipated and/or took a turn that you may not have necessarily anticipated.

And jobs that require a commute are not just concentrated in central Atlanta, but are spread out over numerous business districts in numerous counties in metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

You very likely should slow down and take some time to get to know where in the sprawling greater Atlanta metropolis your potential/likely job and income-earning options will be before you make the decision to move to an Atlanta metro area that recently has been experiencing rising levels of competitiveness in both its rental and job markets.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
In any economic environment, but particularly in the current pandemic-affected economic environment, it is strongly recommended that you very likely first try and get a job or good source of income lined up before you look for apartment housing.

Many offices started working remotely/from home at the start of the pandemic crisis in March 2020 and continue to do so in large numbers today as the pandemic continues in many respects.

It just probably would be a really good idea for you to get a read on the current state of the job market in metro Atlanta before you move here assuming that you will quickly find an office job (or any other job) in an Atlanta job market that often can tend towards a higher level of competitiveness for all but the most highly-skilled and/or in-demand job candidates.

You don’t want to end up misreading the Atlanta job market and end up potentially depleting your savings because your job search either took much longer than you might have anticipated and/or took a turn that you may not have necessarily anticipated.

And jobs that require a commute are not just concentrated in central Atlanta, but are spread out over numerous business districts in numerous counties in metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

You very likely should slow down and take some time to get to know where in the sprawling greater Atlanta metropolis your potential/likely job and income-earning options will be before you make the decision to move to an Atlanta metro area that recently has been experiencing rising levels of competitiveness in both its rental and job markets.
Very wise advice, and I do plan on locating work as soon as possible.

I really should clarify my situation though, which is definitely unique. So when I say I have money to sustain me, it's honestly a good bit. At, let's say $1200 a month rent, I can go about 2 1/2 years before I start to run low on funds, and that's while still comfortably enjoying my life and doing the things any reasonable fun person would want to do. So the window of time I need to find a job is very big. This is a conversation I generally prefer to avoid in social situations for obvious reasons. Anyway, that's why I'm looking for a place in that price range. Assuming I find a job within 6 months, my rent budget goes up considerably. That's why I would like to find a smallish pad in that range initially, but then move up once I secure a job. As I said, I do plan on looking for a job immediately, but I don't feel like I need to hold off on finding a place until I secure work.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Very wise advice, and I do plan on locating work as soon as possible.

I really should clarify my situation though, which is definitely unique. So when I say I have money to sustain me, it's honestly a good bit. At, let's say $1200 a month rent, I can go about 2 1/2 years before I start to run low on funds, and that's while still comfortably enjoying my life and doing the things any reasonable fun person would want to do. So the window of time I need to find a job is very big. This is a conversation I generally prefer to avoid in social situations for obvious reasons. Anyway, that's why I'm looking for a place in that price range. Assuming I find a job within 6 months, my rent budget goes up considerably. That's why I would like to find a smallish pad in that range initially, but then move up once I secure a job. As I said, I do plan on looking for a job immediately, but I don't feel like I need to hold off on finding a place until I secure work.
So based on the above information, what area of the city should I look into for finding a decent apartment? What prices am I likely to find? Would they meet my current budget and needs?

Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM

450 posts, read 271,703 times
Fellow single yuppie guy here.

You're basically looking for an apartment in Inman Quarter. But really any of those new-construction apartments either on the beltline or in one of the adjacent neighborhoods (Old Fourth Ward, Reynoldstown, etc) will do what you're looking for. These apartments are actually pretty cheap, especially if you get a 2-months-free and 6 months free parking deal when you lease (these are not hard to find, and never sign without a significant leasing bonus). $1200ish is plenty if you're good with a studio/1-bed (and are maybe okay with not being ON the beltline, I don't exactly know what the prices for those ones that are adjacent to it are like), Atlanta apartments are not expensive at all.

I'd also look into Midtown, for good measure. I'm more of a Midtown high-rise guy, but that's because I actually don't like the frolicking-20-something vibe from the Beltline places. I'm guessing that wouldn't be as much your style.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So based on the above information, what area of the city should I look into for finding a decent apartment? What prices am I likely to find? Would they meet my current budget and needs?
Here is a current thread that went into some good bit of detail about Intown Atlanta and ITP (Inside the I-285 Perimeter) neighborhoods. You may be able to use this thread as a loose guide of where to look for an Intown/ITP rental dwelling should you not be able to find something within your budget in an area that you like:

Most Underrated ATL neighborhood (City-Data Atlanta Forum)

Otherwise, start your search for a rental dwelling in the hottest and most popular active Intown areas that may appeal to you the most like:

> Along and near the Northeast BeltLine (including in Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park and Poncey-Highland)

> Midtown

> West Midtown

> Virginia-Highland

> Along and near the GA-154 Memorial Drive corridor in fast-rising areas like Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown

> Downtown Decatur/Decatur proper.

... And if you can’t find anything within your budget in the aforementioned hottest and most popular Intown areas, expand your apartment search into areas that may be just very slightly less popular but still put you very close to the action, like:

> Atlantic Station

> Lindbergh area (along and near Piedmont Road between, around and near the intersections of Sidney Marcus Blvd, Lindbergh Drive/Lindbergh Way near the Lindbergh MARTA station in southeast Buckhead)

> South Buckhead, roughly along and near the Peachtree Road corridor

> Buckhead

> Brookhaven

> Northwest Atlanta, roughly along and between the I-75 and Marietta Boulevard corridors

> Piedmont Heights (roughly along and west of Piedmont Road/Piedmont Avenue between where Piedmont crosses over the Northeast BeltLine and the I-85 Northeast Expressway/GA-13 overpass)

> Along the Cheshire Bridge Road corridor between the Piedmont Road and I-85 junctions.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
Fellow single yuppie guy here.

You're basically looking for an apartment in Inman Quarter. But really any of those new-construction apartments either on the beltline or in one of the adjacent neighborhoods (Old Fourth Ward, Reynoldstown, etc) will do what you're looking for. These apartments are actually pretty cheap, especially if you get a 2-months-free and 6 months free parking deal when you lease (these are not hard to find, and never sign without a significant leasing bonus). $1200ish is plenty if you're good with a studio/1-bed (and are maybe okay with not being ON the beltline, I don't exactly know what the prices for those ones that are adjacent to it are like), Atlanta apartments are not expensive at all.

I'd also look into Midtown, for good measure. I'm more of a Midtown high-rise guy, but that's because I actually don't like the frolicking-20-something vibe from the Beltline places. I'm guessing that wouldn't be as much your style.
This is exactly the sort of suggestions I am looking for. Keep 'em coming!

Old 05-12-2021, 12:59 PM

Okay, it's been well over a week since I updated this thread. I've been online checking out apartments in the neighborhoods recommended above, as well as the embedded link, and am planning out the logistics of another trip to the city just for the sake of further exploration, and knowing that I still want to relocate there.

So now my question is to local, single types; how do you folks find the social scene in Atlanta? Is it easy to meet new people, make new friends, dating? I tend to enjoy high energy social environments among friendly people. Searching online and on youtube, it seems that the city is really marketed to the "hip hop/rapper culture" and that's not really my background or experience, personally. Not that that's a bad thing for me, but I would feel really out of place in that sort of crowd.

To be real, the reason I want to move is for the social life, and then the warm weather, lol. Bars, pubs, rock concerts, music festivals, cycling, various hobbies are all things I'm into.

What are the opinions here? Do you expect that I would be pleased, or disappointed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta