Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
mayberrybound, your post strikes me as combining rudeness, ignorance and naivete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
Sorry if you thought my post was rude, I am just tired of hearing that posters put down the concerns and comments of others. ... Though I would have never thought of you as a name caller.
I apologize, mayberrybound, for intemperate language. I did think your post was needlessly rude, but that was no reason to be needlessly rude back (although I would argue I wasn't calling you any names).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Do you really know your neighbors? Other than the registered sex offenders, I mean?

Somehow I doubt you do, that would be very rare for anyone today, especially if they're a bit paranoid. And I doubt you've told your kids which neighbors they should go to if they are in trouble. That's just as important as knowing who to stay away from.
If you've taught them to fear every person who isn't related to them, they're less likely to be able to get out of a bad situation.
I totally agree with this. While everyone on this thread clearly has child safety in mind, there seem to be two schools of thought about it. Some focus on eliminating risk, and therefore place a high priority on identifying RSOs (and perhaps, driving them out of our neighborhoods). Others (I'm in this second camp) think that risk elimination is unrealistic and we prefer to focus on risk-proofing the children.

I'm not much concerned about ferreting out RSOs, but I don't let my child accept the vast majority of sleepover invitations she receives. Most kids nowadays seem to participate in a merry parade of sleepover events. And their parents know the other families Very Well in all cases? People say they do, if you challenge them on this, but I don't believe it. And do they also know well every single person that might drop by the home to visit, during the sleepover? I don't think so.

I also agree with irvm that, in addition to teaching our kids to be cautious of strangers, it's important to identify who they can turn to for help. We did that. Even though we don't know most of our neighbors scarcely at all, we identified one SAHM who we know somewhat, who's always around and seems like a reliable person. We told our child that in the unlikely event she should come home from school and find no parent at home, or that sort of thing, to go to that person's house.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Jessie Lunsford and Christopher Barrios come to mind... both had registered sexual predators within walking distance from their homes... really, it was a prime opportunity for these sick demented subhumans.

I still stand with my belief that the sex offender registries do more good than harm. They're just another tool for parents, single women, or whoever to arm themselves with. Knowledge is great - and sometimes scary...

Old 05-26-2008, 01:01 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
I think there's been an overreaction in our media and general paranoia when things are much safer now than when I was a kid. When someone has served their time, they should no longer be held in a virtual prison and should be able to get on with their life without worrying about being persecuted by neighbors. It's like a scarlet letter, and I thought we were socially beyond that kind of thing. Perhaps repeat offenders should be registered, but first time offenders should be left alone. In Smyrna, there's a 15-year old on the list for "sexual molestation". I don't even know how it's possible that a minor is on the list.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
That's just it - many sex offenders/predators AREN'T serving their time (or enough time) for the heinous crimes they commit. I don't think there's an overreaction by the media at all. When was the last time you've heard of a lynch mob going to a sex offenders house and hurting him/her? To my knowledge, I can't even think of one instance...

If you don't understand why a 15 year old could be listed as a sex offender, look up people like Joseph Edward Duncan...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
That's just it - many sex offenders/predators AREN'T serving their time (or enough time)
For one, you are assuming all sex offenders are guilty of the same crime. Someone will even appear on the sex offender list for indecent exposure (to anyone, not just minors) in some cases.

I'm not sure where your cited references are, but there probably also isn't enough room in prisons, which is what happens when you have laws and sentencing that causes more inmates than the system is equipped to handle but can't adjust sentencing options because of political reasons. There are other options such as house arrest which is used in other states. I don't know if GA does that.

Quote:
When was the last time you've heard of a lynch mob going to a sex offenders house and hurting him/her? To my knowledge, I can't even think of one instance...
In some parts of this country, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, especially considering places like Jasper, TX where a homosexual was beaten and lynched.

There was a Lifetime show based off a true story lately where a semi-retarded man was tormented by the neighborhood because of being on the list for indecent exposure to a minor. It wasn't a lynch mob, but the guy was constantly harassed and was partially retarded or slow so he didn't really understand everything. Verbal torment, nasty letters in the mailbox saying "leave" and other types of social "scarlet letter" type branding can be just as bad as physically harming individuals who have already served their time.

I think it does more harm than good, since I believe a lot more people are going to use the list to find people they should torment out of the neighborhood than to actually determine who's house their kids shouldn't play in back of. I believe fear-based overreactions are human nature.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,030 times
I Usually don't join these things but some of the responses are so out in left field I had to speak up. Why on earth people are giving someone a hard time who is trying to protect children is WAY beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
What if "he" is a "she"? Same treatment? Still knocking on that door?

YES, he or she makes no difference.

Does this also apply to people who speed, or, I dunno... drive up the road in turn lanes to avoid traffic? Because people who regularly break driving laws and pay their way out of it are an extreme danger to all of the children who are walking on the sidewalks and trying to cross the streets - and they're in much greater numbers than predators. I should know - one such person who was "in a hurry" ran over me when I was 14 and at 42 I live with the physical problems from that every day. Maybe if we go up to the doors of everyone who has received a ticket for driving wrecklessly they'll move out of the neighborhood too, so we can rest easier knowing we won't be run over by them?

Yeah, speeding is irresponsible and can alter someone's life, such as yours. So if you want to take up a door 2 door campaign regarding that particular area feel free. But are you cracked?!? Child sexual abuse destroys kids, as UNLIKE speeding accidents, it isn't always visible. KIDS DON"T ALWAYS TELL. Hmmm, what would be a vigilant way parents could protect their kids? Oh, that's right, we have a SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY. Unlike speeding cars, kids can always get out of their way because sick freaks are harder to detect than, say, a 2,000 lb piece of machinery barreling towards you.

Until people take sexual abuse seriously and let offenders know it won't be tolerated and WATCH their kids using ALL resources available, kids lives will continue to be destroyed daily.

Wow.
WOW indeed.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I think there's been an overreaction in our media and general paranoia when things are much safer now than when I was a kid. When someone has served their time, they should no longer be held in a virtual prison and should be able to get on with their life without worrying about being persecuted by neighbors. It's like a scarlet letter, and I thought we were socially beyond that kind of thing. Perhaps repeat offenders should be registered, but first time offenders should be left alone. In Smyrna, there's a 15-year old on the list for "sexual molestation". I don't even know how it's possible that a minor is on the list.
Scarlet letter? Totally for it. Sexual predators should be marked. I think when a crime is commited like sexual abuse against a child you lose your right to expect to go back to a "normal" life after serving time. The kids that are hurt don't get too. Sexual abuse is the gift that keeps on giving, WELL into adulthood. Victims are in a virtual prison. Did you think about that?

Last edited by illustrate; 05-28-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
That's just it - many sex offenders/predators AREN'T serving their time (or enough time) for the heinous crimes they commit. I don't think there's an overreaction by the media at all. When was the last time you've heard of a lynch mob going to a sex offenders house and hurting him/her? To my knowledge, I can't even think of one instance...

If you don't understand why a 15 year old could be listed as a sex offender, look up people like Joseph Edward Duncan...
I agree. Some of these people on the forum must have very limited life experience. The registry is all we have. Why are so many more concerned with the perpetrator? When that line is crossed with a child, they deserve what they get and MUCH more. Should've thought of that before the crime. The kids don't get to live a normal life, why should the criminal?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:31 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,137 times
I totally agree with illustrate. Sex offenders are a different type of criminal. When you harm a CHILD, you loose all rights to lead a "normal" life. The child that was molested will never lead one, why should they? I think all sexual offenders should be castrated! I know not all offenders are men, but the majority are. They should wear a scarlet letter. One that is large and neon and can be seen from space. I'm not understanding how some people in this discussion can feel sorry for the sickos. What if it was your child? Would you still say, "Well, he did the time. Let him lead a quiet and unassuming life now."? No, I would be heading up the lynch mob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta