U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 69,635 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody!
I am sooo excited! I am Austrian (European) and will be sent to Atlanta to work there as a teacher. I already have an apartment in Marietta but I am realllllly scared of all the expenses once I move in.

I have to buy so many things like furniture, plates, forks, pots, pans, vacuum,TV, stereo....just anything you can possibly think of EXCEPT of CLOTHES which I can bring with me (by suitcases).

Now I need your advice out there. Where can I get cheap furniture and all those other things that I will need for a living. I checked the IKEA website out but even Ikea is not really cheap over there. I need a corner couch for not more than 400 dollars and a bed for not more than 90 dollars and so on....on the other hand I would not want a used bed and couch.

Where are cheap furniture stores? Please give me the exact address.
Where can I get the cheapest Flatscreens and Stereos?? THOSE CAN BE USED!
Where are the best yard sales advertised (for July)??

I would really need your help and advice.

THANX A LOOOOOOT!
Claudia
{Moderator Removed}: Please do NOT post personal email addresses in the forums. Use the site's private mail feature. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-22-2008 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,229,109 times
Hey, you're from Europe.. I KNOW that IKEA has to be your thing, and it's not really that expensive here! I mean, the only other places you're going to get cheaper stuff is maybe Wal-mart or a thrift store (maybe), and you're not going to find corner sofa's at Wal-mart, and thrift shops will be used. I might be missing out on some better deals, but really, IKEA has some of the cheaper options (as well as stuff that costs $$ too).

You'll be able to save money and keep your European style at the same time. LOL. Our IKEA store is located at the "Atlantic Station" area in Midtown, just SouthEast of Marietta. HERE (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/IkeaNearYouView?storeId=12&catalogId=11001&langId=-1&StoreName=atlanta - broken link) is the link.

Costco probably has the best deals on LCD tv sets, and you get a two year warranty with them if you buy them there, too. They also have by far the best customer service if you need to take something back as well. Kennesaw is the closest Costco to Marietta (or the one at Cumberland Mall).

If you want mega-cheap appliances, then go to BrandsMartUSA in Kennesaw. Link, HERE. Home of the $6.00 hair drier and $8.00 toaster. LOL.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 PM

42 posts, read 128,311 times
For housewares such as pots, pans, plates, cups, etc. I would definitely check out Homegoods over on Barret Pkwy in Marietta. They can have some really good deals sometimes.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM

You could also consider making your furniture from cardboard using readily available plans on the internet. ;-)

Also, you could try going to garage sales and the Salvation Army.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,783,837 times
Look at Overstock.com for furniture. I bought my son a raised queen sized Aero-bed (inflatable) on there for under $100.00 He wouldn't have wanted to sleep on it long term, but he said it was fine for the summer months until he got into his furnished dorm.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:00 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,229,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaaa29 View Post
Hey Atlanta Greg,
thanx for the advice but in my letter I wrote that Ikea is even a little bit too expensive for me.
Yeah, I know, but this is Atlanta, and stuff isn't cheap here - IKEA is considered cheap in this area. No, not everything, but SOME stuff can be found that's very cheap in the place. Otherwise, there is a hobby called "dumpster diving" here people might tell you about, 'cause much cheaper than Ikea or Wal-mart and you're talking "free". LOL

For yard sales maybe you should look for local Cobb chat boards (they're around) and hook up with folks who can go around with you on weekends to look at them. Until you get your feet wet driving here it might not be a good idea to drive around looking for the things.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,074,541 times
If you want cheap but new housewares - pots, pans, shower curtain, etc. - Walmart is always convenient. Those more specialized stores mentioned in some earlier posts (BrandsMartUSA, Homegoods) might have some better deals, though.

Yard sales I think are typically advertised on craigslist.org, if they are advertised by more than putting out a sign. Craigslist is also the usual place people advertise used items of any kind for sale, so it would be a good place to look for anything you're willing to buy used.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:44 PM

There is a section at IKEA for returned/slightly messed up/floor model type stuff. I've found some good furniture deals in there on stuff that was just fine.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
Default Austrian in Marietta

Hi Claudia!

Just came across your blog. I am also an Austrian living in Marietta - there are not so many of us here I've been living here for 1 1/2, 27 years old. I assume you have settled in by now but let me know if you are interested in getting in touch some time.

Eva
{moderator removed}: Please do not post personal email addresses in the room. Use private city-data site mail to swap them.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-22-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM

755 posts, read 2,033,256 times
You could also look into used things. Try craigslist: atlanta classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or