U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 07:03 PM

332 posts, read 244,558 times

Advertisements

My husband has a potential job in the Atlanta area and before we seriously consider it I need to do some quick research on the area. We currently live in Louisville, Kentucky, but I work remotely so I can do my job from anywhere. I've only been to Atlanta for work trips, so I don't know much about it as a potential place to live.

The job would be in an area that's right where the 285 freeway meets I-75. I have no idea what this area is called. Looking at it on the map, there are areas such as Woodmere, Cumberland and Vinings View right next to it. Based on that information, what would be the best neighborhoods to live in that are within a reasonable commute with a very good high school, private or public or parochial? Our son has learning disabilities and the Catholic high school he'll start next year in Louisville is excellent for his issues (ADHD, dyslexia) so it's really important we find a great school for him before we can commit to a move.

Our budget for a house is up to $1.1 million, but it would need 4 bedrooms, so it can't be a tiny cute house for that price. It has to house two adults, our teen, and our elderly mother.

Any advice or help is welcomed. We had been looking at other cities for potential pre-retirement moves in the next few years, but this new job option is such a good one that we'll consider it as a new option instead of the other cities we were considering. Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 08-16-2021, 07:31 PM

1,150 posts, read 457,291 times
"Something might be found along Mount Paran Rd South of I-285 or along Heard's Ferry Rd North of I-285. More likely go to close-in East Cobb such as the Indian Hills Area."

I agree. And there is a great school just off Mt Paran that is worth checking out for your child with dyslexia. Check out The Schenck School.

I'd look at houses in 30327 and 30328.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:40 PM

thank you!

Old 08-17-2021, 05:49 AM

2,523 posts, read 4,476,433 times
At your price range you will have several options in that are. The area is referred to as Vinings/Cumberland.

If you go the public school route, you can consider East Cobb or parts of Sandy Springs.

If you go private or parochial (some of the best in Atlanta are just south of that area) you can add Vinings, Smyrna or parts of Atlanta (Moores Mill Road area).

Old 08-17-2021, 08:12 AM

3,410 posts, read 2,886,346 times
East Cobb (Walton, Pope, Lassiter school districts, to a lesser extent Wheeler and then Sprayberry, in that order)
Woodstock
Kennesaw
West Roswell.

I'm biased (I live there), but my personal vote given the commute and budget would be East Cobb.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
At your price range you will have several options in that are. The area is referred to as Vinings/Cumberland.

If you go the public school route, you can consider East Cobb or parts of Sandy Springs.

If you go private or parochial (some of the best in Atlanta are just south of that area) you can add Vinings, Smyrna or parts of Atlanta (Moores Mill Road area).
This is helpful, I'll check it out. Thank you!

Old 08-17-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
East Cobb (Walton, Pope, Lassiter school districts, to a lesser extent Wheeler and then Sprayberry, in that order)
Woodstock
Kennesaw
West Roswell.

I'm biased (I live there), but my personal vote given the commute and budget would be East Cobb.
Much appreciated! I love looking at houses and learning about new areas, so I'll have some fun today.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:11 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,504,548 times
Some of the best private schools in Atlanta are in that area: Westminster, Lovett, Pace, Whitefield, Walker, or even Woodward. The severity of the ADHD and dyslexia will matter, as none of them are specialty schools. Someone above mentioned Schenck, but it sounds like your child might be high school age, and it does not have a high school. You might also consider the Woodward Transitions Program, which is excellent, but Woodward is not in Vinings. They have buses, however, that pick kids up all over town.

https://www.woodward.edu/academics/t...AaAn7rEALw_wcB

Vinings/Smyrna are where to start with your budget. The public school options in that area are not awesome. If you want public, you should probably be looking at East Cobb instead.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:22 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,143,744 times
With your budget, I would go to Sandy Springs. Plenty of really nice homes in your budget there, it's close to everything, and the Riverwood school cluster is good.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:27 PM

3,408 posts, read 7,466,022 times
I agree with the recommendation for Riverwood High School in Sandy Springs (It is officially Riverwood International Charter School). They are completing a new building so it has a lot of the bells and whistles of a new school. The academic standards are high, but my daughter with dyslexia graduated from Riverwood and had an excellent experience! It is one of the smaller high schools in North Fulton.

The private schools that have been mentioned here (Westminster, Lovett, Pace, Woodward) could be a challenge to get into depending on how affected your son is with his ADHD and dyslexia. If you are looking for a private school with a focus on learning differences you could consider Mill Springs Academy in Alpharetta a or St. Francis in Roswell as they are both K-12 schools. The Schenck School is definitely only a K-6 option for students with dyslexia. Roswell is closer to your husband's work and living in East Cobb would be a pretty easy option. By the way, East Cobb isn't really an official area it is just what everyone calls the part of Cobb County that is roughly east of I75 and south of Roswell Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta