U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Relocation to Georgia, College Park and Alpharetta, school system, raising a family, cost of living, African American looking for diverse neighborhood, traffic issues, local jobs

Old 05-17-2008, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,731 times

Advertisements

Hi I am going to Atlanta to see my family. I just need to make new friends or need someone give me a tour around Atlanta. Want to have some fun and good memory. Maybe club or camp or games . if you are interested, please contact me at [EMAIL="symara_n_bonner@hotmail.com"]symara_n_bonner@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:14 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,497,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
klh,
Moving to a new state can put a LOT of stress on the best of marriages because almost everything changes all at once (job, friends, schools for the kids, new neighborhood, new church, etc.). In the best of circumstances it can take a while to successfully settle in to a totally new environment.
Absolutely. It takes a while. We actually didn't really settle down (and were living out of boxes) for several months until we purchased a house, but even if we had done that immediately it would have taken several months to absorb the differences down here.

The first month is hectic anyway, doing things like changing drivers licenses and getting new plates for the cars, doing the change of address stuff and moving home/auto/whatever insurance policies, finding the nearest post office, getting both new and old utilities resolved, meeting neighbors, meeting new cow orkers at the new workplace, etc.

Quote:
My husband and I made the transition to Georgia a few years ago and are very happy. In fact, we rarely go back to our former state although we had planned on doing that every two months or so when we made the move. We love this state and it's still exciting to us.
Same here. My wife doesn't even want to move back even if we get the chance to do so. I would, tho. :-) But not w/o her.

Quote:
We did hop in our car every weekend and zip around to explore Georgia and I think the fun doing that TOGETHER really helped us enjoy our new life and helped minimize the frustrations that are just a normal part of resettling.
Road trip! We used to do day trips up in MN, and we still do them down here. We'll pick a town with an interesting name on the map within 150 miles or so and head out for a Saturday drive. Did you know that Georgia has cotton fields? And there's a really cool flea market down by Warm Springs in the old jail building sitting by one of the little airports.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:26 AM

177 posts, read 679,844 times
rcsteiner....your post sure took me back a few years. Yep, changing the driver's license, car tags, etc. And, while I don't drive, I've kept my driver's license and the Georgia laws in regards to driver's licenses are VERY strict, i.e., your name on your driver's license has to match your Social Security card EXACTLY so when I changed my driver's license to a Georgia one, it didn't exactly match my Social Security card, and I soon got a letter to that effect from the DMV, so I ended up having to have my name on my SS card changed to match the Georgia license EXACTLY. Also there were "exciting" surprises that are so dumb that we never thought of, like making sure that our car insurance (from a well known company in the West) wrote policies in Georgia. They didn't and we had to dash around and find a new car insurance company. We rented a house while we were looking for one to buy and so we needed to get renter's insurance. Trying to find new docs, new dentists, establish accounts with local banks and credit unions (and getting automatic payments from our former banks transferred to new banks) getting phones and cable installed,. etc. The list of things that need to be taken care of with a move goes on and on. All those tasks were exhausting at the time because everything had to be done F-A-S-T, but in looking back we are so much happier here that they were well worth the time.

zebbie

Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 856 times
Default I love GA!

Hello, Well im 23 years old and moved to GA when I was 16 from Baltimore, MD. College Park which is located in Clayton County is a terrible area. Shootings everyday, and the County did just loose its accreditation for the public school system, but Alpharetta is far from there. I live in Gwinnett County which is very suburban but the school system is great, the best in the Atlanta Metro area because of its 89% graduation rate. Its also the largest. Gwinnett is fastly expanding because so many people from other stated have moved out here. 1/10 people you meet relocated from another state to Gwinnett. The housing is one of the least expensive, trust me if your moving from up north like we did, you can find something nicer for half the price of what you have now. Alpharetta is about 25min away from Gwinnett. But the houses around Alpharetta a bit more expensive because its closer to Atlanta. Gwinnett is about 45 minutes from Atlanta. Before your husband judges Atlanta as a whole you all should visit. College Park is a rough area, so he was bound to get bad results from there. But look into areas like Lawrenceville, Duluth, Marietta, Dunwoody, or Alpharetta, They are all nice areas. Trust me, you wont be disappointed.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,081,762 times
[quote=atlantagreg30127;3784969]Well, that would certainly explain why every time there's a southern baptist convention in town all of the parking lots at the strip clubs and liquor stores are filled and they need cops to direct the traffic.

The point being that people here cheat. People in the North cheat. People on the West coast cheat. Then there are people who stay married forever here, up North, and on the West coast too. People are people and Atlanta isn't going to have a largely measureable difference in the number of people who cheat vs. those who stay together long-term over any other large city. A city isn't going to destroy a marriage - lack of chemistry and/or communication between two individuals will.. regardless of where they live.

Wait a minute... I never said that those people did not cheat and or act like hypocrits. I simply said that Georgia, overall, is a conservative state and that marriage is an aspect that most people take seriously. Growing up in Columbus, GA (back when it was a small town) and having family in Albany, GA I can tell you how most married couples (in the face of others) seem very together and religous and morally 'correct'. That said, my point was that the couple they spoke with already had problems before moving to Ga and that their marriage was gone before the move down south. That said, the south is known for its conservative values and marriage is included in that.
Trust me, I know that people cheat all over! I have lived in a couple of other states and another country and nothing really changes!!! (except the Southern Baptist conventions, you don't get those everywhere!)

Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM

63 posts, read 146,491 times
Living where you work is the best option is you can find the right home in your price range. Funn enough we worked with a couple and the Husband works for Comcast in Alparetta (they just closed in April) and the wife at a bank in Alpharetta. They ended up buying a home in Woodstock which wasn't too far drive from him to Comcast, got a better deal on a new home and they are very happy they decided to venture out of the Alpharetta area. Because of your work location there are severla area options available to you - Alpharetta,m Milton, Roswell, Woodstock, Cumming - depends on how far of a commute you want to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta