Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 15,012 times

Advertisements

Is Fayetteville separated by race? Largely blacks and whites, living on opposite sides of town?

If that's the case does that mean the "white" parts have better schools as well as newer housing and amenities?

I'm considering Fayetteville as a potential city to relocate to.

Last edited by Rony Wright; 01-21-2022 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 09:34 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,936,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rony Wright View Post
Is Fayetteville separated by race? Largely blacks and whites, living on opposite sides of town?

If that's the case does that mean the "white" parts have better schools as well as newer housing and amenities?

I'm considering Fayetteville as a potential city as well as Grayson.
Born2Roll will probably chime in with a much more thorough answer, but generally it’s a pretty integrated place, nearly 50/50 black and white. The northern chunk of Fayette County is more heavily black but it’s all pretty solidly middle class.

Fayetteville all feeds into the same high school, which is a decent school and around 50% black.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:00 AM

10,331 posts, read 11,316,903 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Born2Roll will probably chime in with a much more thorough answer, but generally it’s a pretty integrated place, nearly 50/50 black and white. The northern chunk of Fayette County is more heavily black but it’s all pretty solidly middle class.

Fayetteville all feeds into the same high school, which is a decent school and around 50% black.
testa50 makes some excellent points.

Fayetteville generally is a fairly integrated community with a population that is evenly spilt between black residents and white residents.

As of 2020, non-Latino white residents made up about just under 42 percent of the population of Fayetteville proper while black residents made up just over 40 percent of the population of Fayetteville proper. The rest of Fayetteville proper’s population was 7.5 percent Asian, 6 percent Latino, and >5 percent Multi-racial persons.

For Fayette County as a whole (which also includes the communities of Peachtree City, Tyrone, Brooks and Woolsey), the demographic makeup was: <61% White, >25% Black, 7.5% Latino, >5% Asian, and 2.4% Multi-racial.

Getting out into the entirety of the area with a Fayetteville mailing address (all of the Fayetteville 30214 and Fayetteville 30215 zip codes), testa50 raised an excellent point that the northern chunk of Fayette County (including much, if not most of the Fayetteville 30214 zip code which covers the north side of the Fayetteville mailing area) is heavily/majority Black... While much/most of the Fayetteville 30215 zip code (which covers the south side of the Fayetteville mailing area) is heavily/majority White.

The differences in demographic makeup between majority-black North Fayetteville and majority-white South Fayetteville are reflected in the demographic differences between Fayette County and Sandy Creek high schools (which both serve the north side of the Fayetteville mailing area) and Whitewater High School (which serves the south side of the Fayetteville mailing area).

Black students currently make up more than 62% of the student body at Fayette County High School and more than 61% of the student body at Sandy Creek High School. White students currently make up about 12.3% of the student body at FCHS and about 13.4% of the student body at SCHS.

Meanwhile, currently at Whitewater High School, about 57.1% of the student body is white, >23.7% of the student body is black, <9.2% of the student body is Latino, about 5.5% of the student body is multi-racial and <3.9% of the student body is Asian.

The clusters of the Fayette County Public Schools system anchored by Fayette County and Sandy Creek high schools are known to be pretty high quality schools along with the clusters of the FCPS system anchored by McIntosh, Starrs Mill and Whitewater high schools and the schools of the FCPS system as a whole.

The north side of the Fayetteville mailing area (the majority-black side of Fayetteville) also features a large cluster of retail amenities... Including a large open-air retail development at the Fayette Pavilion that features a Walmart Supercenter, a Target, a Home Depot, a Kohl’s department store, a Belk department store, a Dick’s Sporting Goods and a Publix grocery store amongst numerous other retail stores and restaurants.

... That’s along with the numerous other retail businesses and restaurants located along about 2.5 miles of the GA-85 North Glynn Street corridor from just north of Downtown Fayetteville up to the Fayette Pavilion shopping area... So the North Fayetteville area is not devoid of amenities by any stretch.

It also probably definitely should and must be noted that the northwestern part of Fayetteville proper is the site of one of the largest movie production studio complexes on the planet at Trilith Studios (formerly Pinewood Atlanta Studios)... With a large planned mixed-use development of residences, businesses and restaurants that appeal to creative types (at the growing “Town at Trilith” development) located directly across the road from the movie production studio complex.

https://www.trilith.com//

Old 01-22-2022, 07:13 AM

10,331 posts, read 11,316,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
... So the North Fayetteville area is not devoid of amenities by any stretch.

It also probably definitely should and must be noted that the northwestern part of Fayetteville proper is the site of one of the largest movie production studio complexes on the planet at Trilith Studios (formerly Pinewood Atlanta Studios)... With a large planned mixed-use development of residences, businesses and restaurants that appeal to creative types (at the growing “Town at Trilith” development) located directly across the road from the movie production studio complex.

https://www.trilith.com//
And speaking of amenities in North Fayetteville, including in relation to the aforementioned “Town at Trilith” mixed-use development, which is making some news as the site of the world’s first black-owned autonomous grocery store.

World’s first ‘Black-owned autonomous grocery store’ debuts in Fayetteville (City-Data Atlanta Forum, Friday 21 January 2022/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/Life section, Thurs 20 Jan 2022)

Old 01-22-2022, 09:42 AM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times
Love Fayetteville.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:14 PM

510 posts, read 298,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Love Fayetteville.
Likewise. I love to drive through northern Fayette into Fayetteville. Beautiful homes on large lots, rural feel. We house hunted heavily in the north part of Fayette/Fayetteville The older homes are all taken care and there certainly is no sense of fleeing wealth as the demographics have shifted. I really don’t visit the southern part of the city or county much because the shopping is centered in the north of Fayetteville or in PTC. Although their is a clear racial divide in where the residents reside, making for less, but not an absence of diversity, the communities seamlessly mix in the public square.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the outstanding replies. I appreciate it. Atl metro has some really nice suburbs. I thought I would be in Grayson but now I'm looking at Fayetteville.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
And speaking of amenities in North Fayetteville, including in relation to the aforementioned “Town at Trilith” mixed-use development, which is making some news as the site of the world’s first black-owned autonomous grocery store.

World’s first ‘Black-owned autonomous grocery store’ debuts in Fayetteville (City-Data Atlanta Forum, Friday 21 January 2022/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/Life section, Thurs 20 Jan 2022)
Hello B2R,

thanks again for the insight.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:55 AM

510 posts, read 298,845 times
Quote:
Thanks for the outstanding replies. I appreciate it. Atl metro has some really nice suburbs. I thought I would be in Grayson but now I'm looking at Fayetteville.

I'm curious to know where you are relocating from and what's bringing you to the metro if you are coming here from outside of it. I have a friend out in Snellville who adores that area. Some folks here criticize Fayette County because of the slower growth and the southern metro as a whole because of the lack of high end amenities, amongst other 'factors'. For us Fayette life is the best thing going.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 986 times
Quote:

I would say that in half - half black and half white. There is no need to worry, everyone interacts and everything is fine. Lately I've started to get involved in clip art, I even create them for sale - buy clip art, it seems to be working out pretty well. But that's not the point... I'm doing a social experiment and the question is, do you know what clip art is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta