Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 04:19 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

I was out on Candler the other day and passed by South DeKalb Mall.

Haven't been there in a while and seeing it made me wonder how it has fared in this era when many malls seem to be struggling a bit. It sure seemed to be buzzing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was out on Candler the other day and passed by South DeKalb Mall.

Haven't been there in a while and seeing it made me wonder how it has fared in this era when many malls seem to be struggling a bit. It sure seemed to be buzzing.
I think it's pretty much "same ol', same ol'". I still shop there from time to time for a few key items. I wouldn't expect a big resurgence anytime soon. But their clientele is large and varied enough that I don't see it closing down in the foreseeable future. I think the same can be said for the West End Mall as well.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:54 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I think it's pretty much "same ol', same ol'". I still shop there from time to time for a few key items. I wouldn't expect a big resurgence anytime soon. But their clientele is large and varied enough that I don't see it closing down in the foreseeable future. I think the same can be said for the West End Mall as well.
Both malls have enjoyed historically low vacancy rates, which is interesting when you consider overall trends in mall retailing.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
It's okay.

Macy's is still hanging on.

Unfortunately, the Chik-fil-A dipped out a few years ago. I guess the one on Wesley Chapel is a better location.

The Gallery isn't exactly a bustling center of commerce for unincorporated South Dekalb. But it has faired better than most shopping districts south of I-20 post-Great Recession.

I think when that diverging diamond at the Flat Shoals I-285 bridge is finally finished, it'll hopefully make the traffic more smoother for the whole area and bring in more customers to the mall.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I think when that diverging diamond at the Flat Shoals I-285 bridge is finally finished, it'll hopefully make the traffic more smoother for the whole area and bring in more customers to the mall.
I didn't realize that was going to be a DDI intersection.

I love, love all the lighting improvements in that area of 285. I wish, the rest of the interstate could be as well lit too.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I didn't realize that was going to be a DDI intersection.

I love, love all the lighting improvements in that area of 285. I wish, the rest of the interstate could be as well lit too.
Well, I think it's a DDI, but I could be mistakened.

There's not enough extensive reporting one or another on this bridge issue since ground broke in 2015. And also apparently GDOT's website is down at this moment.

So there is no way to get more detailed info right now.

But according to the "Anything but Atlanta" crowd, state government is supposedly the paragon of efficient governmental practices.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:12 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Default Gallery at South DeKalb (formerly South DeKalb Mall) for sale, will be auctioned online Dec 6-8

Quote:
A mall with several vacant storefronts will be up for sale at an auction next month, presenting an opportunity for a new owner to renovate or redevelop the massive retail center.

The Gallery at South DeKalb, previously named South DeKalb Mall, is available to purchase at an online auction from Dec. 6 through Dec. 8, according to real estate company Newmark. Bidding will start at $2.8 million for 442,370 square feet of leasable space within the regional mall, located in Atlanta’s Panthersville neighborhood.
Ripe for redevelopment, Gallery at South DeKalb mall up for sale (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Old 11-16-2021, 12:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Hope we can get a good dense development here. This location is amazingly close to both Downtown Atlanta and Decatur and deserves so much more for its community.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:53 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times
New owners promise retail revival for Gallery at South DeKalb mall

A new ownership group that specializes in older mall acquisitions sounds confident a big-box retail revival is in the cards for the southeast Atlanta shopping complex formerly known as South DeKalb Mall.

“We’re working closely with a number of national big-box retailers to fill the current anchor spaces, and we look forward to further bolstering the available offering at the mall through an aggressive leasing strategy...,”

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/g...promise-stores

SOURCE: Urbanize Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta