Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:48 PM

26 posts, read 73,949 times

Advertisements

My husband walks to work and we have small cars we spend about $60 a week in Gas

Americans have gotten so lazy, drive here, drive there, we have been walking more and hey I've lost s few pounds to who would of thought.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
I hear you! Once I started biking to work I lost 30lbs!!! I just don't bike to work. I also bike to the grocery or the pharmacy or wherever I don't need to haul a lot of stuff. The only time I drive my van is to get a load of plants or a load of flagstone, and once on the weekends on a short to make sure the battery hasn't died.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 47,880 times
What kind of bike do you have?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 PM

I have a Frankenbike. Truly. It's a GT Timberline that I got when I was in college. I was in college in 1993. It's heavy and a bit rusted, with skippy gears.

On top of that I have it tricked out with plastic strap on fenders, tireflies, blinkies in the front and back, side-view mirror...

But I don't need anything slick because I don't race or ride trails. I just commute and run errands with it.

I do wearing a biking skirt, though...more comfortable than regular clothes and less ridiculous than the superhero uniforms a lot of cyclists favor.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I wish someone would come out with an engine that runs on dog poop. I've got three 100lb+ dogs. I've have free fuel for days every time I poop-scoop the yard!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM

18 posts, read 47,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I have a Frankenbike. Truly. It's a GT Timberline that I got when I was in college. I was in college in 1993. It's heavy and a bit rusted, with skippy gears.

On top of that I have it tricked out with plastic strap on fenders, tireflies, blinkies in the front and back, side-view mirror...

But I don't need anything slick because I don't race or ride trails. I just commute and run errands with it.

I do wearing a biking skirt, though...more comfortable than regular clothes and less ridiculous than the superhero uniforms a lot of cyclists favor.
Yeah, I'd need something lighter. :/

Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 AM

I'll probably buy a bonafide commuter bike next year. I only started commuting by bike in 2008 and I couldn't justify going out and spending $500 on a new bike until I proved I would actually do the commute regularly.

I'm looking forward to a nice new lightweight bike. By the time I get one I should be in killer shape from lugging that frankenbike around.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
There are some stations here in GA that do have ethanol in their blends of gasoline..Any lil bit helps...This is getting scary...Remember the lines in the 70s when gas hit .99.....
Yeah, and it was a really big deal because many stations only had two digits in the signs. I remember stations running out of gas, too. Yuck.
Quote:
We are a nation built on convienience so I dont see where unless we are within walking distance of home, job and shopping that much is going to change as far as consumption..Big companies win little people pay and loose....Gotta love it...NOT
Take Care
If gas prices get out of hand I'll end up telecommuting more. I wish that was an option for more people.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I sure am glad I bike to work!

But I am HOPING it will galvanize our citizens into action to increase more energy efficient/eco friendly attitudes towards transportation.

Actually, I think a lot of people are ready for it...they just don't see it happening.
Me too; I hope this gets all those cars off the roads. Unfortunately, many people are really hurt by these prices.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

The people who most worry me are the bottom of the middle class on down. They're almost always spending all of their paychecks just to get buy and these gas prices might push them over the edge. And this group of people makes up a really large portion of our population.

I think transportation and healthcare are the things our country needs to focus on...but I know others disagree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta