Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times

Advertisements

When I think of serious technological advances I think of high-speed rail - MagLev - or something.

Me? I'm waiting for each house to be built with a teleportation machine. That way I can live in the Ozarks and work in NYC...or Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
I take Marta now and haven't filled up my tank in 3 weeks. I am so happy I bought a house in town and close to public transportation.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 AM

151 posts, read 526,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I take Marta now and haven't filled up my tank in 3 weeks. I am so happy I bought a house in town and close to public transportation.
My wife and I decided to become a one-car couple a while back. We use Marta as much as we can and are saving what we would have spent on the other car for a down payment on a condo near a rail station. When we tell people that we only have one car they look at us with concern, like we must be broke or something. It seems so abnormal to them. Based on the car we had planned on financing, we are saving almost $1000 a month when you total payment, gas, insurance, and parking. We will never finance a car again, even if offered zero % interest. We'd rather look broke than be broke.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
We have two cars from back when we lived in the burbs and had to have two cars. But I hardly ever drive mine since I started walkign or biking. I told my husband that when it finally dies (it's a 2000 with 130K and a Ford and showing it's age) that I don't really care to replace it.

My next door neighbors are a one-car family, too.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
My wife and I decided to become a one-car couple a while back. We use Marta as much as we can and are saving what we would have spent on the other car for a down payment on a condo near a rail station. When we tell people that we only have one car they look at us with concern, like we must be broke or something. It seems so abnormal to them. Based on the car we had planned on financing, we are saving almost $1000 a month when you total payment, gas, insurance, and parking. We will never finance a car again, even if offered zero % interest. We'd rather look broke than be broke.

I hear you. We considered getting rid of one car, but its not feasible. Plus we pay for cars in cash therefore we have no car payment. I used to question my choice to live in the city, mainly because you get more house for your money in the burbs, but these gas prices have made me think twice.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
I was near the airport the other day and saw gas well over $4 in Forest Park or College Park or wherever I was :-)

Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
When I think of serious technological advances I think of high-speed rail - MagLev - or something.

There's a facility actually not far from my house which has a working model of a Maglev train on a track. It's not open to the public for viewing though, but they've been working on the stuff for some time.

Their main page: HERE

Their page for the test track/train in Powder Springs - HERE.

We unfortunately have leaders on a State AND National level who aren't putting much money into this though, so, you'll have to wait until the next complete change in leaders and if the voters do their job, maybe the next set will have the foresight to pursue this stuff.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Is maglev always more economical than an airplane, or does it depend on distance?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 PM

151 posts, read 526,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There's a facility actually not far from my house which has a working model of a Maglev train on a track. It's not open to the public for viewing though, but they've been working on the stuff for some time.

Their main page: HERE

Their page for the test track/train in Powder Springs - HERE.

We unfortunately have leaders on a State AND National level who aren't putting much money into this though, so, you'll have to wait until the next complete change in leaders and if the voters do their job, maybe the next set will have the foresight to pursue this stuff.
Let's hope your last statement proves to be true. Seems like the country has been stuck in neutral for the last eig- nah, better not go there.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 AM

136 posts, read 460,691 times
At this point I would pay any tax amount to get a Marta train station out into Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta