Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 15,261 times

Advertisements

hi im 18 ill be emigrating to marietta in a month or so on my parents business visa. would it be possible to get a work permit and does anyone know how i'd go about it (not h1 by sponsor).

also would it be easy to set up a bank account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,869 times
What is your visa type? L2? Work permit has to get through immigration service, but if you run your own business and want to get permenent status, you need to apply for investment immigration visa.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aston89 View Post
hi im 18 ill be emigrating to marietta in a month or so on my parents business visa. would it be possible to get a work permit and does anyone know how i'd go about it (not h1 by sponsor).

also would it be easy to set up a bank account?
Work permit - do you fit any of these categories? http://dis.ors.od.nih.gov/visa/visaclasschart.pdf

Bank account - I think this is possible, but will require a bit of extra paperwork at the bank, since you won't have an SSN unless you have employment authorization.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Aston,

Stepping back a bit, here is some overall advice. US immigration is very complex and the rules regarding work authorization are very restrictive - much more so than in most European or Commonwealth countries. Native-born American citizens simply have no knowledge of this area of their country's laws - and of course this is perfectly natural, they have no reason to know - and tend to be influenced by the presence of many illegal immigrants in their country, to assume it's very easy for foreigners to come here and work. This is false. Unless you are a Nobel prize winner, top business executive, world-class entertainer or athlete, it is very difficult to come to the US and legally work.

If your parents have recently come to the US, then probably they have used an immigration lawyer, and their lawyer would be your best source of up-to-the-minute information specific to your situation.

Your second-best option would be to search out some of the numerous online forums focused on US immigration. I think there are probably even UK-specific forums of this type. People on those forums will be very knowledgeable about US immigration for UK citizens. This forum right here is not a good place to ask questions about US immigration, work authorization, etc. There is too much risk of getting well-intended but inaccurate advice.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 15,261 times
yeah i totally understand Rainy Day. it might be better to post in a business or us law forum. i guess i wouldn't know about immigration laws for my country either...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aston89 View Post
yeah i totally understand Rainy Day. it might be better to post in a business or us law forum. i guess i wouldn't know about immigration laws for my country either...
Don't bother to post.
You must make these arrangements at the US consulate IN YOUR COUNTRY before
you come here. Otherwise, you risk being sent back home, and invited not to come back until you have gone through the proper channels.

AFAIK, work permits are NOT issued once you're here on a visit.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Don't bother to post.
You must make these arrangements at the US consulate IN YOUR COUNTRY before
you come here. Otherwise, you risk being sent back home, and invited not to come back until you have gone through the proper channels.

AFAIK, work permits are NOT issued once you're here on a visit.
The OP wouldn't be here as a tourist but as a dependent of somebody on a working status. So he could likely file an I-539 to change to a working status, assuming he was eligible for one. See USCIS instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-539instr.pdf

This stuff is why people just really, really need to consult a lawyer. It's byzantine, and the general public is not well enough informed to advise people. (And yes, that goes for me too, but as a survivor of the green process, I think I'm at least well enough informed to say "ask a lawyer").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: