Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM

206 posts, read 1,013,515 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone just wanted to know if anyone on here was originally from Dallas, Texas and how the transition was moving from Texas to GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 18,702 times
Not to be negative, BUUUT if you're from Dallas it will be a little rough. If you like eating at restaurants all the time and sitting in traffic for good parts of your days, dealing with rude people from the North and all the people that can't speak English, you'll be very happy here. We're a pretty easygoing family and have lived in the area five years. Five miserable years. In and around the perimeter of 285 is pure misery if you're from Dallas. The further out in the country you go the nicer people get and the more people you meet that are actually from Georgia, not NEW YORK. I swear the entire population of that city has migrated to Atlanta. We expected a big cultural scene out here, that's what Atlanta pushes itself as right? NO, there's really nothing impressive. I think they just grabbed onto the first thing they came up with for tourist fodder and pushed it. The crime you hear about here DAILY is unBELIEVABLE compared to Dallas. You might be better off in New York City, same kind of big city, just more police. It is cheaper to live here, which is a big plus, but believe me you pay for it with bits of your life.

Last edited by middleamerica; 05-23-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-23-2008, 02:35 PM

168 posts, read 500,217 times
Default Dallas

I have got to call you out on this one. I have lived in both places, among many others. If anything, it is Dallas that is known for nothing to do but eat out and shop. Oh, and the speak English jab, are you kidding me? Dallas is chock full of spanish only speakers, mostly of Mexican decent. BTW, for the most part, I have found them to be hard working, family oriented people.
Now, it seems like the problem that you are having is with the northeastern transplants. Being one of them, I can understand why you do not get along with them. When I lived in Dallas, I could not get used to the lifestyle that the natives thought was heaven. Dallas is a cultural wasteland. It is flat, visually unappealing and every spring and fall, the wind blows 30mph every day.
Look, I did not love Atlanta either, but given a choice.......well you know my answer.
Sorry, just wanted to point out a few flaws with your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleamerica View Post
Not to be negative, BUUUT if you're from Dallas it will be a little rough. If you like eating at restaurants all the time and sitting in traffic for good parts of your days, dealing with rude people from the North and all the people that can't speak English, you'll be very happy here. We're a pretty easygoing family and have lived in the area five years. Five miserable years. In and around the perimeter of 285 is pure misery if you're from Dallas. The further out in the country you go the nicer people get and the more people you meet that are actually from Georgia, not NEW YORK. I swear the entire population of that city has migrated to Atlanta. We expected a big cultural scene out here, that's what Atlanta pushes itself as right? NO, there's really nothing impressive. I think they just grabbed onto the first thing they came up with for tourist fodder and pushed it. The crime you hear about here DAILY is unBELIEVABLE compared to Dallas. You might be better off in New York City, same kind of big city, just more police. It is cheaper to live here, which is a big plus, but believe me you pay for it with bits of your life.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
Not all of the U.S. transplants in Atlanta are from the New York City metro area. They come from elsewhere in the northeast, mid-atlantic, midwest, west coast, Florida and MANY come from elsewhere in the South. AND I have met rude people from ALL of these locations - yes there are many rude, stuck-up southerners who think they are elite and have to act a certain way. Please stop with the generalizations - they can always go both ways.

Also, people from the urban northeast or from big cities do not care what others think of them, how others behave, how they dress, whether they speak english or not - they simply and politely IGNORE everyone else, except for their tight circle of friends and family. Atlanta is a large metro area and one cannot expect to have small-town friendliness surrounding them everwhere.

Last edited by darkone; 05-23-2008 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,499 times
Quote:

Get out of here with all these lies

here is the FBI Uniform crime report, Dallas is more dangerous than Atlanta

Atlanta
Table 4-Preliminary January through June 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/prelim2007/table4co_id.htm - broken link)

Dallas
Table 4 -Preliminary January through June 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/prelim2007/table4ok_wi.htm - broken link)

Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Delta is ready when you are

Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
When I lived in Dallas, I could not get used to the lifestyle that the natives thought was heaven. Dallas is a cultural wasteland.
I'm sorry but I have to defend Dallas against this rather large fallacy. Opinion yes, but that's it.

Dallas Arts District Alliance

Woodall Rogers Park

...and a lot more that goes along with this but I'm not gonna go overboard.

Dallas has a lot going for it to. I agree that first reply was way off because Atlanta too is an awesome city growing by leaps and bounds, filled with culture just like any other big city. Let's try not to misinform the same way.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
I have got to call you out on this one. I have lived in both places, among many others. If anything, it is Dallas that is known for nothing to do but eat out and shop. Oh, and the speak English jab, are you kidding me? Dallas is chock full of spanish only speakers, mostly of Mexican decent. BTW, for the most part, I have found them to be hard working, family oriented people.
Now, it seems like the problem that you are having is with the northeastern transplants. Being one of them, I can understand why you do not get along with them. When I lived in Dallas, I could not get used to the lifestyle that the natives thought was heaven. Dallas is a cultural wasteland. It is flat, visually unappealing and every spring and fall, the wind blows 30mph every day.
Look, I did not love Atlanta either, but given a choice.......well you know my answer.
Sorry, just wanted to point out a few flaws with your argument.

Wow, and I looked at alot of your other posts. What a troll get a life seriously.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:22 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
I'm sorry but I have to defend Dallas against this rather large fallacy. Opinion yes, but that's it.

Dallas Arts District Alliance

Woodall Rogers Park

...and a lot more that goes along with this but I'm not gonna go overboard.

Dallas has a lot going for it to. I agree that first reply was way off because Atlanta too is an awesome city growing by leaps and bounds, filled with culture just like any other big city. Let's try not to misinform the same way.
Don't be too bothered by that...people with sense on this forum already know that about Dallas and Atlanta. There are people on here, however, that live to bash cities that they pretend to know something about. If you look at their other posts on the board, you'll see that they make a career of it.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM

96 posts, read 336,752 times
I have actually considered relocating to either dallas or atlanta. chicago would be my first choice....but being from the south, i am more accustomed to the weather in dallas or atl. anyway, was excited to see this thread as i thought it might offer some very good insight into both cities. turns out you guys are just tearing each other down. can anyone offer anything positive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta