U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 31,273 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to GA to become teachers and saw a house we were interested in renting. I wanted any input or info on Lawrenceville that would be helpful. We're both 25, African American, with no children and like quiet/safe environments. Anyone who know the area, I would greatly appreciate if you can give me some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 AM

88 posts, read 467,590 times
I used to live over there 6 years ago and the area has changed quite a bit. There is not alot of shopping and restaurants that weren't there when I was. The downfall I have seen is the traffic and getting to a hwy. If you're not commuting that won't be a big issue.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 PM

465 posts, read 2,211,035 times
Lawrenceville is a good move. Depending on how far the house is from the highway, it could take maybe 30 minutes to get to Atlanta with no traffic. Lawrenceville is in Gwinnett County, this is the most diverse county in the Atlanta area. However, the previous poster is right, the traffic up there is a little crazy. Reason is, Gwinnett has exploded in the last few years. The housing market is great, the schools are some of the best, and it's full of all races; Indian, African, Hispanic, Romanian, Asian, you name it. As blacks, you'll be quite comfortable there. Areas surrounding Lawrenceville are Duluth, Suwanee, Buford and Grayson. All these are booming as well. This area is full of northern transplants and those from California. I used to live in Lawrenceville and I miss it. I may be moving back at the end of the year. I don't know if you have children, but even if you don't, buying a house near good schools, means great resale value on whatever house you purchase.

There is plenty of shopping there, with at least three major malls within a 20 minute radius. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Just be sure when you start house hunting, you observe how friendly your future neighbors are; it lets you know how well you'll be welcomed. The South is known for it's hospitality, but with so many transplants in recent years to Atlanta, that has been lost in some areas. And just about half of this city are transplants.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 PM

88 posts, read 467,590 times
I meant in my post that there IS alot of shopping and restaurants now. There was not when I lived there. Sorry for the typo.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 17,170 times
i am also looking at lawrenceville are we are White will that be a problem as the above mentioned if you are black no problem
als i don't want to have the north follow us in the move ie transplants
what about beaches do any of you know about the coastal beaches even if not GA the closest beach it is one thing to be raised within an hour of one and nothing like the ocean

Old 02-03-2009, 04:07 AM

153 posts, read 320,039 times
I currently live and teach in Lawrenceville. I moved from Dekalb County (Stone Mountain) last August. It was the best thing I could have done. I went from driving 50 miles a day to 4! I live 1 mile from my school and .5 mile from the daycare. I am in the 30045 portion and I love it.

Lawrenceville is pretty neat and as a previous poster stated, it is very diverse. My school has over 1300 students in it and it looks like a true melting pot. (children of all shades, races, colors, etc)

The downside to coming here is to teach. Gwinnett County Schools has a hiring freeze going on. There will be many displaced teachers for the upcoming school yr that will have priority being placed in other schools. The middle school, h.s. critical areas I am sure will have a few openings, however there will not be a lot of hiring going on. Gwinnett County has already voted to increase class size (through some mandates that were relaxed) and THEN the state of GA voted to increase class size.

So, the class size will grow and the need for more teachers will go down. My school is losing a Kindergarten and 1st grade class (Im not aware of the others yet..I teach 1st grade) For the first time in my 13 yrs of teaching, I was actually relieved to have a contract to sign yesterday. To be honest, with all the changes going on, I just wasnt sure.

However, I would not give up..AT ALL!! Just know that with the situation going on in Gwinnett that you may not be able to get a teaching job in the county within good distance from your home. That is where the traffic will factor in (as another above poster stated) Traffic gets a little rough trying to get to the highway and various areas living in Lawrenceville.

Wishing you all the best!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,882 times
My husband and I are looking to move to Georgia by July of this year. Iv'e been looked on craigslist for over 3 months now for housing and Lawerenceville as caught my eye the moxt. We have 4 children, 1 in high school, 2 in middle school and 1 in elementary. I would like to know what schools are the best for all ages? What is the job market like also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or