Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 33,181 times

Advertisements

Main reason for thinking of moving to Atlanta was weather. Dallas has no state tax and better traffic?
I could live in Dallas or Atlanta with my job.
I am confused..

I could save money in Dallas whereas in atlanta i have to live with traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 PM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Is Dallas that much better trafficwise than Atlanta? Enlighten me...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
I think ATlanta is just as hot (at least close to as hot) as Dallas.. sorry. Houston is much hotter/humider than ATL and Dallas, Dallas is pretty similar to ATL climate wise.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM

39 posts, read 151,356 times
Default ATL vs. Dallas

We live in Atlanta and have considered a move to the DFW area in the past (parents are there). It is drier in Dallas but Atlanta gets really hot in the summer too, but my big thing is the lack of trees and hills in Dallas ! FYI, I have an 18 mile, 25-30 mile drive to work in Atlanta with a reverse commute....totally the way to do it!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,298,962 times
It all depends. If you plan on being a homeowner, you will have to deal with higher property taxes in Dallas. Whether you own or rent, you'll have to pay higher utilities in Dallas.

In regards to climate, they're comparable; but I think Atlanta's is slightly more favorable as our temperatures are more mild due to a higher elevation. Atlanta's attractions are more centrally located than Dallas's. For example, you have to go all the way to Arlington for a baseball game, Irving for an NFL game, and the airport is located far from Downtown Dallas. Atlanta's venues are concentrated in and around Downtown and its airport is located within 5-7 miles of Downtown with MARTA offering direct rail service. The scenery is undoubtedly more beautiful in Atlanta and you're in a better location for roadtrips to the mountains and coast, as well as cool cities like Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, and Nashville.

Dallas has the same amenities as Atlanta, such as shopping, dining and entertainment. It's also laid-out in a more efficient manner than Atlanta in that you can get from Point A to Point B easier. However, you can still encounter horrible traffic depending on where you live and work--especially in Collin County. Civic leaders in the Metroplex are a lot more forward thinking in regards to planning for regional growth, so you have constant road construction and constant rail transit contruction. Dallas's DART is going to surpass MARTA in regards to miles of track and the amount of investment. Above all, Dallas's economy is doing a lot better than Atlanta's as a whole.

Both cities have great people who are very open and welcoming. You can't go wrong with either--it's all a matter of personal preference.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,228,078 times
In terms of weather, Dallas is hotter than Atlanta. The average July temperature in Dallas is 96 F, while in Atlanta the average is 89. That's a big difference! Humidity too is a big deal in Dallas - the area lies in the eastern part of Texas which means it receives direct flow in from the Gulf of Mexico and rarely is influenced by the "dry lines" that start out in western Texas and move east. Couple that with a higher chance of severe weather in Dallas on the average over Atlanta, and you've got an area with quite the weather!!

Winters are about the same in both places, though there is a slightly better chance of wintry weather in a given winter in Dallas over Atlanta, thanks to cold air outbreaks through the Plains States.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:00 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,745,145 times
Dallas is right after Atlanta on the list of places with bad traffic. I think the road system in Dallas is easier to learn and better designed, but from what I've heard, the traffic isn't much better.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,066 times
I just posted a question about Tx weather vs Atlanta and my impression has always been that while both are hot, Tx summers go on for 9 freakin' months of REALLY HOT weather. From may to october. I once left a canned soda in the car in Dallas in August for a short time. LOL. Never will do THAT again! I never got the exploded soda spots out of the upholstery.

Then again someone posted and told me that it stays hot for a long time in Atlanta too though so I don't know.

I have not lived in Atl but am a Texas Native and have lived in Dallas (richardson/plano/north dallas), Houston, Corpus, and San Antonio. Visited Austin tons of times. It's my opinion based on what I've seen / heard that Atlanta has Texas beat when it comes to aesthetics. I'm sorry but lots of the major Texas cities are just kinda ugly. Dallas especially (sorry!)... I think Austin is prettiest and I still think Atlanta (again only from what I've heard/read/pictures) seems much prettier.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 AM

4 posts, read 12,745 times
dallas!

.. well, i can't really give a genuine comparison, but i lived in the dallas from june-dec last year and totally, totally loved it. [i'm moving to atlanta in a couple weeks. :sadface:]

imo dallas hot weather isn't that bad. it's dry and humidity makes a huge difference. trust me. i just came back from the tropics in asia- i didn't really sweat in dallas, but talk about buckets in taiwan. the temperature may be the same as atlanta [i woudln't know yet] but it's not sticky like houston.

i will say though, if you're working.. it really won't be too bad. afterall, you'll be inside where the a/c is blasting all the time.. i used to wear sweaters to work. and by the time you get out around 5-6ish, it's not too bad. .. forget about laying out to tan by the pool on weekend afternoons though. i tried and everyone thought i was crazy. 10 minutes and i was soaked in sweat and understood why. after 4pm's not too bad though. one thing about dallas is that it was almost always sunny. glorious days, clear blue skies that just go on forever.

--

from my experience traffic wasn't too horrendously bad in dallas. i didn't work or live in the downtown area, but i had group meetings or events/appointments every other day after work either in the city or on the opposite side of the metroplex. i'll say traffic definitely slows down but the difference between clear roads and rush hour was at most 10-15 min for me.

my routes were from work @ where 114 meets george bush- local to 635 east then 75 south to the lovers lane exit. i'd say avg 25 min, half hour-45 min tops on tuesdays around 6.00-6.30pm. i as did 635E-75 north to the spring creek exit. about 45-50 min.

and george bush from work to the coit exit. 20min- half hour tops at 4.30pm on thursdays.

75's slow going north around rush hour. not tooo bad going south.

bush is always backed up when it hits tollway [dallas north] going east but the delay's only sets you back 5-10 min.

and as far as i ever saw, tollway is packed going north at rush hour.

i didn't think it was too bad.. but i'm from the metro detroit area that's supposed to be up there for bad traffic too. maybe i'm desensitized.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 AM

165 posts, read 546,595 times
I dont think Dallas has 1/2 of North America traveling through to reach FL. That's a perk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta