Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM

13 posts, read 59,036 times

Advertisements

I think I have (finally) convinced DH to move to Decatur. I've done a lot of research on these boards and feel up to speed on most things (i.e., making sure we are in Decatur proper...we definitely want to take advantage of the wonderful school system), but I am trying to figure out the timing that works best for us. We have an 18 month old and would like to have another baby late next year. We both work full-time.

I can't find a lot of information on the College Heights early development center. Is it hard to get in? How expensive is it? We are in a great center now, and it is across the street from my office (midtown). I wouldn't hesitate to keep using it for our second child as well, but would prefer something close to home so that I don't always have drop off and pick up duties and so aftercare/possible nannycare will work better. Is getting into public pre-K as hard as it is elsewhere in Atlanta? If so, what private options do we have? What sort of aftercare is available? We were thinking of getting a part-time nanny for the afternoons but aren't sure yet.

Some background: we lived in a tiny carriage house off of S. McDonough the first year we lived in Georgia but couldn't afford a house there at the time so moved to Mableton and have been there for 6 years. I have always wanted to move back to Decatur. I really like the neighborhood feel and the idea of our kids living close to their classmates. We could probably afford private school but it would really be stretching our budget, especially with 2 kids...I would rather be able to pay for college! Seems like the middle and high schools in Decatur are really coming around.

The earliest we will move is next summer, but we can move as late as the summer before our oldest will start preK or even K.

Thanks for sticking with this novel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 PM

39 posts, read 151,990 times
I think that College Heights (College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center (broken link)) is easier to get into as a resident, and all of my friends are happy with it. Other daycare options...the Phoenix School in Oakhurst The Phoenix School, Decatur, GA: exceptional childcare for infants - Pre-K, which is very hard to get into from what I've heard. We are in Oakhurst, daughter just finished 3rd grade at Oakhurst Elem and loved it. I am still not so sure about middle and high school but it's still a couple of years off. Have fun house and daycare hunting!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 AM

13 posts, read 59,036 times
Thanks! We did some "drive by" house hunting yesterday and checked out the local parks. I just love Decatur! Since it is such a compact city, is nanny sharing pretty common (we live in the boonies now and it is unheard of)? Can you recommend any reputable daycares run by churches? Generally speaking, I'm not that religious, but we're in a church-run daycare now and it's been great.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,037 times
Decatur First Baptist has a daycare with a great reputation. Also Decatur Methodist and Decatur Presbyterian have half day preschool programs which won't work for you as full time daycare.. but a lot of folks do them in conjunction with a nanny in order to give their kids a little extra social time. I will also PM you with some Yahoo board addresses for some of the neighborhoods around here. Parents often post nanny share requests or you could post your own and you are bound to find someone once you move here. Nanny sharing is very common around here and might be more economical for you once you have a second child.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,400 times
Can someone explain nanny sharing a bit more to me? My husband and I are relocating to the Decatur area from Chicago and are on a time crunch to find daycare for our 6 month old daughter. I was surprised at how difficult it is to find a place in Decatur and have mostly been reading about people nanny sharing. My husband and I might be interested in the idea, as it sounds like a lot of people do it, and it sounds like there are postings on this blog with other people interested in the same. Any additional information you could give would be greatly appreciated. As a new mom and having found awesome daycare in Chicago, it's been pretty stressful trying to find somewhere else for her in Decatur, when we only have a few short weeks to look.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,037 times
One way that folks hook up on nannies is through the neighborhood Yahoo groups. Do you know what neighborhood in Decatur you will be living in? I have the links to the Winnona Park, Oakhurst and Great Lakes Yahoo neighborhood boards. There are others, but I don't have the links. Let me know the area in which you will live and I will see what I can figure out.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 33,686 times
I have a son in College Heights Early learning Center, and a daughter in The First School at Decatur First Baptist Church, and I can highly recommend both. CHELC will probably be closed to non-residents of Decatur in the next academic year (09/10) because the school system is so good they are bursting at the seams, but I have my fingers crossed we will get in again. The First School is not a Georgia Pre-K - it is a Christian school, which made wary at the beginning (will she be preached at all the time?) but it has been great, especially academically. My daughter has thrived there.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 13,860 times
My then 4 year old attended Decatur Presbyterian. I picked her up one day with eyes swollen shut from crying so hard and so long. The teacher, Ms. F, had gotten into a power struggle with her and wouldn't let her take her backpack home. She had gymnastics that day and needed the leotard that was in the bag and this was very upsetting to her. They tried to shove her in the car at pick up with a note and none of she stuff. Not ok! Don't send your kids to this school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta