Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM

65 posts, read 169,659 times

Advertisements

Thanks a bundle... that's good stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Vecchio -- Do you have any rentals you'd recommend specifically??

Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 AM

697 posts, read 3,009,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio View Post
I follow the police blotters in the local papers prety regularly. Holcomb Bridge SEEMS to be a pretty major drug corridor between Norcross and Roswell, based on the number of DUIs/possession arrests that are made during vehicle stops all along Holcomb Bridge. Many of the individuals arrested list those rental units as their addresses.

Not sure who you are or what you're into, but I would not comfortably recommend proximity to Holcomb Bridge Road as a good thing in a rental apartment. They seem to be moving a LOT of crystal meth through Holcomb Bridge Road, and you might be in the midst of it.

Then again, they're putting up a Super Target smack in the middle of Holcomb Bridge - right on the borders of Alpharetta and Roswell, so maybe my intel is pretty flawed. Unlike many who post here, I am more than willing to admit my own potential folly.
Holcomb Bridge Road is really the only major east-west artery across Roswell. As such, it gets a lot of traffic of all kinds. And so a lot of traffic stops happen along it, and in some of those cases, the people who get busted have drugs in their cars or in their systems. But there's a really wide range of apartments and neighborhoods along HBR, and the majority of the problems tend to center on the interchange between HBR and GA Hwy 400 (Exit 7). The apartments around this area tend to be older, less expensive units that attract a less desirable element -- as do the extended stay hotels and such just west of 400 along Old Holcomb Bridge Rd.

OTOH, the apartment complexes along and off of HBR east of 400 seem to be newer, more upscale, better maintained, etc. -- Autumn Ridge, Walton Centennial, Avistele in Martin's Landing, etc. Basically, anything east of the entrance to the Martin's Landing development (Martin Rd.) is likely to be better than anything west of it. As I understand it, the apartments in Martin's Landing aren't bad either. And as you say, there's a large mixed-use development (retail, condos, apts, restaurants, etc.) with a SuperTarget as the anchor nearing completion just across HBR from Horseshoe Bend, and another one that's smaller that's just about to start building at Eves Road and HBR. People wouldn't be investing huge amounts in these developments if the area were bad and/or declining.

Full disclosure: I live in a neighborhood just off Holcomb Bridge Road, quite close to Centennial High School.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:53 AM

209 posts, read 543,915 times
I second Promove. There also are apartments off of Old Milton Parkway and also Windward that would be good areas. Windward would have closer shopping restaurants and would be on a Marta bus line.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Thank you rackensack!! I've looked at these and especially like Walton Centennial!! My biggest problem is that whilst looking at a map (e.g. Google maps) I can't simply plot out which apartment complexes are there. I think I'm definitely going to have to be there for a few days before making any decisions, but any additional information I can obtain beforehand is a plus. Again, thanks for the suggestions!! Feel free to keep them coming, I am rather clueless when it comes to this. Thanks again!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 AM

One last quick note... I'm really trying to stay under $800 if at all possible.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 29,889 times
Default Residence Hotels Are Good Short-term Option

We moved to Roswell from Sydney in December 2007 with a house hunting visit in October. Both times we arrived, we stayed in residence hotels. I had wanted to find a short term furnished apartment, which turned out to be a hassle. I'm glad we did the hotels because we weren't commited to a time frame, yet we had the amenities we needed while settling in. Also - it's very hard to judge distances in the N Atlanta suburbs until you actually drive them in traffic. Usually the hotels will give a decent discount if you stay a week or longer. The first one we stayed in was Staybridge Suites on Northpoint Parkway in Alpharetta - a good spot for north Alpharetta. The staff was terrific, plus you get complimentary access and shuttle service to the very nice Lifetime Fitness up the road. The second time we stayed in the Homewood Suites off Mansell Rd (Davis Dr) which was closer to house we purchased and to shopping. I didn't think the property was quite as nice (though the rooms were larger) as the first, but certainly adequate. If you want to make sure you rent in the right spot, try staying at one of these places a week or two when you first arrive. I don't know where the ATT office is, but Holcomb Bridge is a major thoroughfare and tends to be a juggernaut, regardless of the time of day, and pretty unattractive compared to many of the places nearby. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 PM

253 posts, read 1,178,243 times
You may want to check out apartmentratings.com and see what people are saying about the various communities. Of course, take them with a grain of salt as it seems people are more likely to complain on this site than take the time to log on and compliment a community. I used it primarily to check for comments on break-ins and vandalisms, management complaints are frequently posted but I think that can be more subjective. Good luck with your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta