U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,423 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the atlanta area in mid july 2007. I just wanted to get some information from those of you who already live there.

I am a teacher and am looking to work in the atlanta public school system. I currently work at an inner city school in miami and am looking for something similar in the atl area. I teach elementary school and am looking for a 1st grade position for the 2007-08 school year. Any help with that would be great.

As far as where to live. I just started researching and right now I'm looking at Decatur, Norcross, and Riverdale.

I'm a young woman and am looking for a safe, gated community. Right now I'm just looking to rent or rent to own. If you know of any nice developments I would greatly appreciate it.

I know of the traffic in atlanta and am willing to deal with it for the time being. I just want a diverse, progressive area to live in and still be about 45 minutes from the city.

Thank you for your time.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2007, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Morrisville, North Carolina
465 posts, read 2,210,227 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhamp View Post
I am looking to move to the atlanta area in mid july 2007. I just wanted to get some information from those of you who already live there.

I am a teacher and am looking to work in the atlanta public school system. I currently work at an inner city school in miami and am looking for something similar in the atl area. I teach elementary school and am looking for a 1st grade position for the 2007-08 school year. Any help with that would be great.

As far as where to live. I just started researching and right now I'm looking at Decatur, Norcross, and Riverdale.

I'm a young woman and am looking for a safe, gated community. Right now I'm just looking to rent or rent to own. If you know of any nice developments I would greatly appreciate it.

I know of the traffic in atlanta and am willing to deal with it for the time being. I just want a diverse, progressive area to live in and still be about 45 minutes from the city.

Thank you for your time.
I'm not sure what kind of research you've been doing, but forget about Riverdale and Norcross. Norcross is heavily saturated with illegal mexicans and the property values are low, and safety is iffy. Riverdale is predominately black, and a high crime area. Now Decatur is nice in parts, the nicest part being north Decatur around Emory University. But that doesn't come cheap, so I don't know what you're looking to spend.

Do you already have a job that you're coming to, or are you coming here and then looking for a job? I was trying to get an idea of what part of town to direct you too. I'm not up on all the good schools, but I can suggest some nice living areas.

Nice progressive areas are here for sure. I would say the most progressive would be Midtown (heavy gay population) Virgina Highlands, East Atlanta, Grant Park, Inman Park, Cabbagetown, Parts of Decatur, Atlantic Station, Gwinnett County, Snellville, Smyrna, Vinings and around North Druid Hills. Start with Gwinnett County, it seems good for you. Good Luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,423 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for your help. I'm definately going to start looking around those areas in Gwinnet County. Also, what about Stone Mountain? Is that a nice area? I want to be in an area with young, diverse, progessive people. Any suggestions?

As far as the job goes, I hope to have one by the time I get there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
 
2 posts, read 20,827 times
Reputation: 12
perhaps you should consider the job first and then communities near that job. the commute can be absolutely overbearing. throughout atlanta, there are great neighborhoods right around elementary schools. if you're looking for progressive with school systems that are growing, i would suggest the west side of atlanta in smyrna/vinings, mableton, austell, and marietta. marietta is more established, but smryna, mabelton, and austell are all newer growth communities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 12:03 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,683 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I'm not sure what kind of research you've been doing, but forget about Riverdale and Norcross. Norcross is heavily saturated with illegal mexicans and the property values are low, and safety is iffy. Riverdale is predominately black, and a high crime area. Now Decatur is nice in parts, the nicest part being north Decatur around Emory University. But that doesn't come cheap, so I don't know what you're looking to spend.

Do you already have a job that you're coming to, or are you coming here and then looking for a job? I was trying to get an idea of what part of town to direct you too. I'm not up on all the good schools, but I can suggest some nice living areas.

Nice progressive areas are here for sure. I would say the most progressive would be Midtown (heavy gay population) Virgina Highlands, East Atlanta, Grant Park, Inman Park, Cabbagetown, Parts of Decatur, Atlantic Station, Gwinnett County, Snellville, Smyrna, Vinings and around North Druid Hills. Start with Gwinnett County, it seems good for you. Good Luck!
You should really be careful making general inaccurate comments like that to uninformed people. All of "Norcross" (as in the Norcross area, everywhere with its address/zip) is definitely not high crime and illegal immigrant saturated. That's your unfortunate assumption. The Norcross area(s) that I know well (Peachtree Corners, west Norcross, etc) are actually very nice. The "bad" areas of Norcross are actually generally not located in the city of Norcross, as is the case with most of the Norcross area and most/many Gwinnett County and Atlanta Metro cities.

The Riverdale area also has some very very nice, quiet neighborhoods. Riverdale and Clayton County as a whole has been struggling with a rise in violent crime though that's been riling many of the residents because it's relatively high for a suburban area where it didn't previously exist (even while it was still predominately [but not so overwhelmingly] black).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
 
187 posts, read 842,136 times
Reputation: 123
Default Once Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Norcross is heavily saturated with illegal mexicans and the property values are low, and safety is iffy. Riverdale is predominately black, and a high crime area.

Nice progressive areas are here for sure. I would say the most progressive would be Midtown (heavy gay population...)
JEWEL:

Thanks for scaring the sh*t out of me!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
 
Location: ga
985 posts, read 5,217,959 times
Reputation: 492
I agree with Jreday. That's strange dynamic in Gwinnett. If you stay within city limit (whether it is city of Suwanee, city of Duluth or city of Norcross), you got better neighborhood and better service. If not, you depends on County police which is understaff, IMO. For example, it may takes up to 20 minutes for Gwinnett police after you called 911. It takes less than 5 minutes for city police. Also, city police can even check up on your house if you are on vacation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Alpharetta
15 posts, read 83,342 times
Reputation: 15
Default East Lake/East Atlanta

I hope you enjoy Atlanta. I am from Miami myself and enjoy Atlanta. If you would like to teach in the same sort of areas, you should look at East Lake/East Atlanta. There are lots of ways to search for homes online, but, you will need to come up and see for yourself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2007, 09:00 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,423 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks so much for, you all have been really helpful. I'm going up in March so now I have a better idea of where to look.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Morrisville, North Carolina
465 posts, read 2,210,227 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
JEWEL:

Thanks for scaring the sh*t out of me!
I don't know EXACTLY what that's suppose to mean, but you're demonstrating a very poor communication ability, and quite defensive. I'm sorry, I'm confused, did you say you were Adventist?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top