U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: Atlanta, buy a house, buying a home, traffic, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,242,504 times

Advertisements

I lived in metro Detroit, and drove from Shelby Twp. to Henry Ford Hospital everyday, and can tell you that as bad as downtown and other parts of Atlanta can be, it is nothing compared to Detroit. We have a homeless problem, and some high crime areas, but we do not have the block after block of abandoned homes and factories. Midtown and Buckhead are very nice areas of Atlanta, with nothing comparable within the city limits of Detroit. I remember driving to Henry Ford through Hamtramck, and one day an apartment building had burned, and the roof of the building was halfway across the street, a 4 lane road. Six months later, the roof was still there!!!! That, to me, is emblematic of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM

1,572 posts, read 5,524,730 times
If you would be relocating to work in Alpharetta, and you are not looking for a more eclectic and urban place to live (i.e., inside the perimeter), you might want to consider living in Alpharetta. Your commute would be easy and a lot of people find it a desirable area with the big disadvantage being a long commute to downtown Atlanta. You definitely do not want to live south of the city if you are set on working in Alpharetta.

And if you are tired of the Michigan winters, you will be in for a nice change. The winters here are about as pleasant as fall in Michigan. You have the occasional days where it dips below freezing, but you also have quite a few days in the winter where the temp is 55-60 and sunny, with the average being 45-50.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,635,577 times
I've stated this before to other similar posts - my family is originally from Toledo, OH, but we moved here when I was 7 months old (almost 32 years ago now) and my family is hardcore northern Ohio, and we have set solid roots here in the Atlanta area with no problems. I grew up in Dunwoody, which was one of the original hubs for northern transplants back in the 70's and growing up I would say that only 10% of kids even had southern accents! Half the kids went to the same Catholic church I did also. You will find that, like others have said, Atlanta truly is a hodge-podge of transplants from ALL OVER. I would say that areas such as Dunwoody, East Cobb, and Alpharetta would have the highest concentrations of northern imports, but it's really prevalent throughout town. Almost every single person I meet from up North who has just moved here loves it - mostly because (a) more for your money, (b) awesome winters, and (c) nice people. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
We are also considering a move to the Atlanta area because of a possible job transfer. We currently live in SW Fla, but are Northerners by birth. We are very interested in being within 90 mins. of Atlanta & would love to have some land. We would like to keep our home price in the mid $200s. Are there any areas that give that small town feel, while still being accessible to the airport, downtown, etc>
Thanks for all your replies.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM

483 posts, read 1,879,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemery View Post
We are also considering a move to the Atlanta area because of a possible job transfer. We currently live in SW Fla, but are Northerners by birth. We are very interested in being within 90 mins. of Atlanta & would love to have some land. We would like to keep our home price in the mid $200s. Are there any areas that give that small town feel, while still being accessible to the airport, downtown, etc>
Thanks for all your replies.
That sounds feasible. Check out a MARTA rail map, you can live out past the end of any line and be in town or the airport quickly.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:15 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,956,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander27 View Post
Ok, to get to the point-- what are the best places for Northerners like us to feel like we fit in?
My wife and I moved down from Minneapolis three years ago, and I've seen transplanted northerers all over the northern and northwestern metro. We happen to live in Mableton just a hair south of Smyrna, but we know folks who moved here from other states and live all over from Douglasville all the way up and over to Duluth in the NE corner.

In all honestly, though, I would worry about living within reasonable commute time (not necessarily distance) from your place(s) of work. Things can get rather ugly on the freeways here during peak hours.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

180 posts, read 193,738 times
I agree with rcsteiner - the best decision in Atlanta is...live near where you work. I don't mean "near" as in near on the map, but in the same suburb (if applicable) or at least have a reverse commute from in-town to the burbs. If you work in the city, live in the city or make sure you can use MARTA to get to work. Otherwise, you'll spend more time than you want in your car.

Atlanta has some very nice towns in its suburbs...a few of them are older than Atlanta and have historic downtowns, and a handful of them have populations at or near 100,000. Decatur, Marietta, Roswell, Smyrna, Vinings, Norcross, Stone Mountain, etc, etc. There are a lot of them, but it's easy to think that they aren't there if you don't really explore them...

Old 09-30-2007, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,027 times
I moved to Atlanta from MI 10 years ago. Here are my comments:

1. I agree with everyone else's posts that you should try to live where you work. However, your husband will have a tough commute into the city if you live far out in the burbs (Cumming or North Alpharetta). I live in Woodstock, and have been commuting between 1 1/2 hrs - 2 hrs per day into Dunwoody (North Atlanta) for the past 4 years. It has also taken me an hour to get to Alpharetta in the morning. It's just the way it goes if you live in the burbs and work elsewhere...I've been trying to figure out how to avoid it for years, to no avail. I would suggest Roswell or Alpharetta and for him to request a schedule of 7-4 or 6:30-3:30 (depending on the flexibility of his boss). Both my husband and I work on those schedules and if we need to work longer hours, we pull the laptops out as soon as we get home. FYI, morning traffic gets very bad at 7:00 a.m. and at 4:00-4:30 p.m. in the afternoons.

2. Even though the majority of people are conservative, there are also many liberals in the burbs. We have both conservative and liberal neighbors who are our friends. People don't usually assume that because someone lives out here they have to be conservative. You won't stand out. (Maybe if you have 20 bumper stickers all over your car, banners in your windows, signs in your yard - you might stand out then- but a conservative would too if they did that). If you're looking for diversity, I would suggest moving inside the Perimeter/downtown. If it doesn't matter to you that you have conservative neighbors (and not as much diversity), they will welcome you.

3. People occasionally make fun of my Yankee accent - think of it this way - some southerners "notice" the way Yankees talk, the same way some northerners "notice" the way southerners talk. It has been weird for me because I didn't think I had an accent! Haha. They might remind you that you do. I just laugh it off and say "yeah, yeah, I know." It happens very little anymore though, because Atlantans are VERY used to northerners moving in!

4. One thing I wasn't expecting when I moved down here was the smog alert issue. In Michigan, I never had to worry about going outside in the summer. Here, there are a few "code red" days (usually in August) and many "unhealthy" days. Those days you really shouldn't exercise or spend a lot of time outside, except early in the mornings. I have also developed asthma since being here. Something you should know about. Check out the American Lung Association's healthiest/unhealthiest cities. Detroit is probably on the unhealthy list so it might not be an issue....?

5. I have been laid off three times and left companies two other times to avoid layoffs - it happens a LOT here too! The difference is that there is much more opportunity here. I've always had job offers within a couple weeks of being laid off.

I prefer to live here rather than up north by far. I couldn't tell from your email when you said Detroit people consider talking to strangers a waste of time, if you agreed or disagreed. I think you disagreed? Here you will be approached by strangers and befriended for sure. I personally love the southern hospitality (and think you will too)!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by luvtheocean; 09-30-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,027 times
Sorry, I just saw your additional post where you said you meant you were somewhat shy - not that you didn't like to talk to people. The friendliness of people down here took me a little off guard too, but in a good way. Even though I'm still more type B than A, I have become MUCH more outgoing. I love that my husband and I know all of our neighbors and talk to random people in stores and restaurants. My husband is actually one of "those southerners" that takes an hour to tell a story that I think should take 5 minutes, as someone mentioned previously. It can get annoying, especially when we want to "run into" a store and he starts chatting it up with everyone in there. I love him for it though, and here's why: because he, like a lot of southerners, goes out of his way to make others feel more comfortable and really enjoys meeting new people...from the north or wherever.

Last edited by luvtheocean; 09-30-2007 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,197 times
Default good places to live

hi. here are my suggestions.

if you work in dowtown, unless you want to drive and be stuck in some of the WORST TRAFFIC in the USA, i would say live inside the 285 perimeter. some great aeras are: buckhead (ip), decatur(ip), sandy springs (op), kennesaw(op), woodstock and roswell (op), peachtree city (op), mcDonough (op), buford (op) and loganville (op).

don't worry about being a northerner and fitting in. no one here is from here. it is such a melting pot. there are so many different cultures.

i hope this is helpful to you. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or