Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 27,189 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to decide where our next move should be...and hopefully one of our final moves so that our small children can have a place where they are "from".

A little background info...I am from Peoria, IL and husband from Datyon, OH. I lived downtown Chicago for almost 10 years after college in Lincoln Park. I absolutely LOVE LOVE Chicago, except for the weather!! My husband and I moved to San Diego from Chicago in 2000. We loved the weather and all the things there were to do outside, but hated the superficial people, the lack of culture, the lack of educated, polished professionals, the lack of corporate business and the fact that we would constantly be "gerbilson the wheel" trying to get or stay ahead. I did not like the surfer mentality, tatooed, long haired middle/high school children riding skateboards in the street. The lack of respect people had for one another and what they were teaching their children. We are both professionals making well into the 6 figures, although I am now retired and a stay at home mom to my 3 year old and 17 month old.

Six months ago we moved to Spokane, WA for a business opportunity for my husband. The business has been great, but we really do not like this area and do not foresee ourselves raising our children here and creating a life for them. It is very boring and the weather is horrible!! We would like to find a new "home" before my 3 year old starts 1st grade.

We are starting to research where our next move (and hopefully) final move will be in about 14 - 18 months. We have both traveled extensively for business and we have narrowed it down to these cities that we would like to consider...

Any information regarding one over the other or what you like or dislike would be great.

Here is our criteria...

1. Conservative, republican population/government
2. An excellent place to raise children from school districts to cultural things to do with them
3. Warm to Hot weather...4 seasons is okay...but we hate snow and love 90 degree weather!! So mild winters, if any...and hot long summers!
4. Affordable, appreciating housing market...3000sf +, master planned community, large lots, etc.
5. My husband has his own business so we can live and work anywhere. He would probably have commercial space, but can find this close to our home.
6. Friendly people.

So we are looking at Dallas (Plano/Murphy area), Phoenix (Chandler/Gilbert), Atlanta (Alpharetta/Dunwoody), and possibly San Antonio, Denver or Columbus, OH

I know I'm a little "all over the board" but any info on these cities would be great. Or other areas within the larger metropolitan cities would be beneficial too!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,602,826 times
Just a quick note, Dunwoody doesn't have planned master communities like I think you are talking about.. (Plus it has a skate park with plenty of the aforementioned teenagers around)

I would add Johns Creek, Peachtree City, Milton, parts of Duluth to your list

Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM

23,303 posts, read 43,751,651 times
I personally like all three of your choices, but Atlanta:
1. Will give you the most temperate weather of the three
2. Has better transportation access to the rest of the country (and world)...a plus if your husband has to travel often.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,312,471 times
Default Alpharetta - North of Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifti1969 View Post
1. Conservative, republican population/government
2. An excellent place to raise children from school districts to cultural things to do with them
3. Warm to Hot weather...4 seasons is okay...but we hate snow and love 90 degree weather!! So mild winters, if any...and hot long summers!
4. Affordable, appreciating housing market...3000sf +, master planned community, large lots, etc.
5. My husband has his own business so we can live and work anywhere. He would probably have commercial space, but can find this close to our home.
6. Friendly people.
Please consider Alpharetta which is north of Atlanta. Large homes with large lots, some in master planned communities. Most communities are "Swim/Tennis." Family oriented. Good schools, clean, safe, great shopping nearby, and plenty of child friendly restaurants, several parks and libraries. There is a paved, safe greenway bike/walk/run 6+ mile long through wooded area. Good place for kids to grow up if they get involved in sports, etc. Marta station is 15 min away so you can access downtown Atlanta for aquarium, etc. and also can ride it right inside the airport. Very handy.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
Couple of questions...

Define "conservative" (to YOU). Some people here consider conservative to be relatively mild, since most people who live in Atlanta actually do come from a big variety of places that vary in that. Others consider consdervative to be "militant religious right" type of stuff, and everything in-between. Knowing what "level" of conservative you consider yourselves to be and want might help narrow down an area.

Also - what do you enjoy most for recreation? Mountains? Beaches? Urban stuff? etc.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,660,619 times
I'd knock Denver off your list definately b/c it's very liberal and probably Phoenix and Columbus b/c of weather (opposite extremes).

Texas and Georgia seem to fit your request. I'd also try the Carolinas, Florida, and Tennessee, i.e. Raleigh, possibly N. Florida, Jacksonville and Tallahasee, and Knoxville, Chattanooga.

If I wasn't born and raised with my entire family here, I'd be in one of the before mentioned cities or possibly Alabama.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,033,596 times
I love Denver & Atlanta. Wouldn't live in Dallas if you paid me, for several reasons I can't stand that place (just my opinion). Denver might be too liberal for you but it is so beautiful and the people are great. Phoenix is nice if you like really, really slow pace of life (like senior slow) but the people are really great and it is very safe (but I was so bored out of my mind there). You'll just have to visit and check out the places for yourself. The Carolinas might be more of what you are looking for though.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 AM

13 posts, read 38,897 times
I've lived in Phoenix, Atlanta & Denver as an adult, Dallas as a child. Good news is I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. I would happily return to any of them (like you, I'm molding away in the PNW). I'm in the same boat as you in that I'm looking to relocate soon, before my young kids get too far in school, so I've been looking quite a bit at the issue & rekindling my memories of these places. So, here are my opinions:

Denver: Given that you hate the snow and want long, hot summers, forget it. I liked the weather there, but know many of my friends there are longing for warmer locales, so odds are it wouldn't be a good match.

Phoenix:

It's hot. Forget what you know about hot, it's a new definition of hot. The sun can become soul sapping after a while. You learn to hate the sun (on some level). Some people can take it, some can't. We complained quite a bit, but ultimately, it was a fun life & I would move back there with a renewed perspective (no place is perfect). Golfing and scenery is fantastic. I love swimming, we made many friends there, it's a really fun place and think it would be great to bring kids up there. A big negative to me is that finding a neighborhood with the ammenities that I desire (swim/ tennis club/ community center) is limited. The "Master Planned Communities" are far out from Phx for the most part, highly expensive & overdone. I really only am looking for a subdivision with swim/ tennis club, but instead get a "MPC" with that stuff, plus a shopping center/ spa/ restaurants. I just want a neighborhood with a pool & friendly neighbors. Golfing & scenery are awesome-- and it's a decent drive to other desirable locales (Cali, Mexico, Sedona/ Flag).

Okay, I have to go, but I'll try to cover Atlanta later. I was too long-winded, sorry,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta