Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 18,042 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am a new international graduate student at Georgia Tech. at first glance, university place at underground seems appealing, but I read some disturbing notes about the safety of the place around it (Five Points). since I am new to the united states, I am looking for a friendly advice. Is this place as bad as it sounds? please keep in mind that I am new to the United States not just Atlanta.

There were talks about a close-by new student residence for GSU that was supposed to improve the security at the place, anybody knows what happened with that?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,251,864 times
As a graduate student at Georgia Tech, I would not advise living there. The area is not the safest, and you will have a hard time getting the basic things you need (groceries, for example) by living in downtown.

Why don't you check out the graduate student dorms at GT or get an apartment around there? Lots of graduate students live in the area. You could even share an apartment or a house in Home Park with other graduate students.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 AM

thanks wxjay,

But why wouldn't be hard to get stuff at downtown? I thought that the great thing about such place was that it is close to everything.

I am just not so thrilled about living with few roommates that I will be meeting for the first time. I though I'd live alone for a while till I get to make few friends then maybe live with them. university place seemed affordable and somewhat close.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,418 times
There are "Mom & Pop" & smaller grocery stores in that area but nothing that compares to a Kroger or Publix which are the major grocery stores here. I work in the area and I wouldn't recommend it for living. It's just too many strange characters milling around there all day. Home Park and other areas closer to GTECH would be much better.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM

81 posts, read 292,712 times
I would agree with the others that recommend against living near Underground. I graduated from GA Tech and have lived in Atlanta my entire life.

Underground is one of the worst areas of the city to live.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM

thank you all,
whats the name of that area around home park? is it Midtown or Brookhaven?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawd View Post
thank you all,
whats the name of that area around home park? is it Midtown or Brookhaven?
Midtown...west of the Connector, between 10th and 17th, east of Northside Dr, south of Atlantic Station.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
I advise you to live in graduate housing at Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech is on the northern edge of downtown (it is actually in "southwest" Midtown)...the campus is still in the middle and close to the things.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,863 times
Default University Place @ Underground

Help!!! My 19 year old daughter will be attending Georgia State in the fall and we're frantically looking for housing. We looked at University Place @ Underground and it looked okay. We live in the "burbs" and I know she'll be in totally different place, but can I sleep at night with her down there? PLEASE be honest. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,251,864 times
DonnaF - I honestly would not have your daughter living there. I am not sure about her schedule, but if you can, perhaps living off the MARTA line in Lindbergh, say, would be better. The neighborhood is much safer up in that direction, and she can still use mass transit to get to GSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: