Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 20,246 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. i'm new and have read a little bit on the forum. i have seen a comparison between buckhead and smyrna in terms of affluence. i am in the process of moving now from chapel hill, nc, and am a bit torn between two apartments. one is in buckhead and costs $769 for 800 sqft. the other is in smyrna and costs $792 for 1040 sqft. the bargain shopper in me wants the better deal in terms of square footage and price; however, i know that i must consider the area, too (not related to affluence necessarily but moreso concerning nearby boutiques, dining, nightlife, etc.)

admittedly, i have spent much more time in buckhead than in smyrna (i've actually never been to smyrna...i've been to vinings??) as a recent university graduate, i want to be somewhere close to the goings-on in atlanta (cultural fairs, concerts, specialty shopping, lounges, etc.). i am a 22 year old female, single, not a huge "partier" but like to go out, no kids (whoohoo!! lol no offense to the parents out there..i'm jk - happy father's day to all you dads) i love to shop; i really like to be around a diverse crowd of people; i would like to be somewhere where there is a relatively high concentration of people in my age group (early 20's-early 30's..preferably young professionals); and i love to have a variety of things to choose from in terms of daily activities and nightly fun. i would also like to be close to my future job, which is downtown.

so, to which area do you guys suggest that i relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 151,400 times
Default Buckhead...or Midtown

I'd say Buckhead or Midtown if you can find something in your budget. I am pretty sure the rents are super high in Atlantic Station, and although living there wouldn't work for me, you might want to check it out. It sounds like Smyrna might be too far from the action for you!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:49 PM

thanks, genki

Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 PM
SCJ

22 posts, read 78,343 times
Before reading the other comment, my first thought was midtown. I also think Virginia Highland is a great area, lots of boutiques, restaurants, walkable. Close to midtown and Buckhead, also close to Decatur. Personally - I would pick Buckhead.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM

thanks, SCJ! yeah i have a friend who lives in midtown. i like the fact that it's near everything, but it's not exactly affordable for me to live there (as far as i know). i saw some spanish-style apartments on w.peachtree that looked really nice in passing (didn't walk through) but from what i hear, that entire area is really expensive because of location.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,778,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie43 View Post
as a recent university graduate, i want to be somewhere close to the goings-on in atlanta (cultural fairs, concerts, specialty shopping, lounges, etc.). i am a 22 year old female, single, not a huge "partier" but like to go out, - i love to shop; i really like to be around a diverse crowd of people; and i love to have a variety of things to choose from in terms of daily activities and nightly fun.
With the above comments - you have answered your own question. Buckhead.

Parts of Smyrna are certainly nice, but in terms of a larger variety of people, night life, specialty shopping, etc.. Buckhead is the way to go between the two. Plus if your new place is close to either the Lenox or Buckhead MARTA rail stations you could just ride the train downtown instead of driving (Smyrna only has limited bus service).

Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM

thanks, greg...
alright...BUCKHEAD IT IS! i appreciate everyone's input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta