Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:53 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,945 times

Advertisements

My son's CRCT results arrived last weekend. He was in 6th grade and did very well in all subjects, I mean all other subjects in level 3, and social study in high level 2. I guess if teacher knew how to teach the subject better he could get into level 3 without any problem. I am new to Georgia, and wonder what the passing grade is. Any correlation between CRCT and SAT or SSAT? Do I need to give him extra tuturing in order to acheive higher score in SAT or SSAT? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Looks like there's a lot of info here Georgia Department of Education - Testing (http://www.gadoe.org/ci_testing.aspx?folderID=219&m=links&ft=CRCT%20Res ources - broken link)

Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
There is absolutely no correlation between the CRCT and the SAT. Given that he passed (level 2) the 6th grade social studies test, you should be pleased. 70 percent of the state's 6th graders failed and the test has been thrown out.

To be very frank, I expect my children to exceed expectations because Georgia's are so low, so I would only worry if they only meant them. But I know others feel differently.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm with you, LMM. My daughter handily exceeded expectations in all subjects, including the dreaded 8th grade math test. This performance simply met her parents expectations. However, despite my relish in writing that last sentence, I should say that we are very aware and grateful for our good fortune in having a very able child who attends a decent school.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,728 times
Default CRCT and SAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
There is absolutely no correlation between the CRCT and the SAT. Given that he passed (level 2) the 6th grade social studies test, you should be pleased. 70 percent of the state's 6th graders failed and the test has been thrown out.

To be very frank, I expect my children to exceed expectations because Georgia's are so low, so I would only worry if they only meant them. But I know others feel differently.
My school system always makes a big deal of the CRCT - both of my children always passed with flying colors because the teachers teach to this test. If they always do their work and pay attention in class it is just a review of everything they have already had. My youngest used to get stressed about it, in the younger grades, until he realized it's just a review. That's the way it works in my school system.

So, yes lastminutemom, I totally agree with you - the expections are so low its embarassing. It was the same way when they used to take the ITBS - the teachers made sure they covered exactly all the material in the same manner it would be presented on the ITBS.

I don't think I've ever heard of any scholarships given for high CRCT scores!!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
My school system always makes a big deal of the CRCT - both of my children always passed with flying colors because the teachers teach to this test. If they always do their work and pay attention in class it is just a review of everything they have already had.
So, yes lastminutemom, I totally agree with you - the expections are so low its embarassing.
I don't think I've ever heard of any scholarships given for high CRCT scores!!
I don't think anyone can teach kids to the test. If it holds true, we can teach kids to take SAT, instead of doing ground work. I know the expectations are low, however getting a 100% on CRCT isn't an easy thing to do. I think the tests, most american tests are designed that way, let people get basics right and get minimum scores, and then for only those who understand subjects very well they can get challenging questions correct and get 100%. SAT is made the same way. CRCT doesn't bring kids any scholarship, however if kids can make perfect score on CRCT, they will have a more chance to get higher scores on SAT. Can you imangine that a lower scored student on CRCT will get high score on SAT? In this sence I guess it's a kinda indicator for SAT prediction.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
I do wonder about CRCT. My son made 98 or 100% on the various portions of the CRCT but when he was tested for the Challenge program they rejected him.

He's only going into the second grade so I am not exactly all that concerned about testing but I did wonder how he could do so well on CRCT and not get into the Challenge program...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I do wonder about CRCT. My son made 98 or 100% on the various portions of the CRCT but when he was tested for the Challenge program they rejected him.

He's only going into the second grade so I am not exactly all that concerned about testing but I did wonder how he could do so well on CRCT and not get into the Challenge program...
I'm guessing the Challenge program is the APS name for the program for "gifted" students at the elementary level. In Cobb, at least when my daughter was in elementary school, it was called Target. I learned from other parents that some kids tended to get tested but rejected for Target, year after year. The criteria were heavily weighted for "creativity" (don't ask me how they test for that), so there was a class of kids who were bright and got consistently good grades, but didn't meet the Target criteria.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
I imagine Challenge and Target are the same idea.

One thing is they tested for Challenge before Christmas but CRCT is at the end of the year. I know for my son he had social problems during the bulk of the school year that resolved during the last fourth of the school year. When I say social problems I mean that he had problems with his teacher because he was socializing too much in class. We had to put him on a "star chart" to track his behavior for each block of time through-out the day. The blocks of time corresponded to a teaching unit and with lunch and recess.

It worked like a charm because it helped him take responsibility.

Anyway, I know he was more distracted during the time of year they tested for Challenge but by the time he took the CRCT he was behaving appropriately. I think if he gets tested THIS year and doesn't get accepted I will REALLY wonder at the disparity.

With Target do all kids get tested or just those who are recommended by teachers, etc? For Challenge the kids have to be referred/recommended for testing.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Actually the CRCT is normed to the state's curriculum, it is a test that to some extent (ok to a great extent) can be taught.

To get into a gifted program, students need high scores on three of 4 measurements -- Aptitude (generally measured by an IQ test or a group normed test like the COGAT), Achievement (generally measured by the ITBS or another nationally normed test), creativity (measured either by a teacher form or a standardized assessment) and motivation (measured either by a teacher form or a standardized assessment, often the Renzulli).

You can read more here:
Georgia Department of Education - Gifted Education (http://www.gadoe.org/ci_iap_gifted.aspx - broken link)

Keep in mind that in no way does the CRCT correlate to any national testing. Here is an article:
State test needs work, experts say 092707 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/092707/met_145277.shtml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta