Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

I would like to relocate to the Altanta area soon. I've been there a couple of times, and I really like it. I haven't been there in 8 years though, so needless to say, it's been awhile.

So, needless to say, since it's been so long, my judgment of the good neighborhoods are a little jilted. I really liked Alpharetta when I was there, as well as Marietta. I also spent some time in Cartersville, but I don't remember it all too much.

I need an area that has a community college nearby.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
Hmm...can I ask if you're going to a community college in preparation for traditional university?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Many people go Junior College to start off (At least in California they do)...Southern California has a great community college system which offers automatic transfers into UCLA & USC and many other SoCal colleges(If you maintain a certain GPA). We call them Junior Colleges in the West and they are strong learning institutions that often have professors from UC's (University of California @ Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara) and Cal State Universities (San Diego State, San Francisco State, Cal State Northridge) Most junior/community colleges there have an alliance with the larger Universities in their local area. The Junior College down the street from my High School in Santa Monica, California Santa Monica College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia had a very high enrollment (32k with 3k international students from over 100 countries) and their are enrollments similiar to that in California on the JC level (Pasadena City College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

The California JC system is much more prominent than states in the south, much cheaper and allows access for ANYONE from student to working professional to take enriching classes at $20 per credit hour! This allows many people access to higher learning without the higher costs of attending a major university and beign able to stay at home for two-years before transfering into a more traditional University. If a working professional wants to take a wide assortment of classes at GA State it's much more expensive. I would love to be able to get off work and go to a photography class for a whole semester that costs $60-$80 bucks...wouldn't you?

For some reason It seems like people look down on junior/community colleges here in GA but if they were more prominent It would definately deter many from going down the wrong path by providing another option for higher education. Just because you don't go to a traditional University to start with doesn't mean you cannot succeed.

But to the OP's question I believe Georgia Perimeter College Georgia Perimeter College has an automatic transfer program if you maintain a certain GPA into GTech, UGA, Morehouse College, Georgia State University & Clark Atlanta University. They have a few campuses throughout the Metro Atlanta area so check the website to find out the best option for your needs. Good luck in GA!

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 06-18-2008 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta