Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM

90 posts, read 411,241 times

Advertisements

Though I think latinalover has some valid points (GA can be considered quite boring in relation to Miami/ South Florida) I have to disagree on the crime thing. I don't know Clayton at all.. but I do think you have a greater chance of separating yourself from areas of high crime in metro-Atlanta (if you can afford it). In many areas of SFL its a free for all. As far as the types of crimes they seem to be pretty even...and considering the cut in police forces that are going on in Florida right now I can't imagine that its going to be any better down there anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
"Though I think latinalover has some valid points (GA can be considered quite boring in relation to Miami/ South Florida) I have to disagree on the crime thing. I don't know Clayton at all.. but I do think you have a greater chance of separating yourself from areas of high crime in metro-Atlanta (if you can afford it). In many areas of SFL its a free for all. As far as the types of crimes they seem to be pretty even...and considering the cut in police forces that are going on in Florida right now I can't imagine that its going to be any better down there anytime soon."

Jillmaican,
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I think it's the other way around. I think there's not much to do down here, aside from clubs and the beach. I have too much to do when I go to Atlanta. I think cultural and intelligent things to do lack big time down in SFL. Are you Caribbean or latino by any chance? If you're the outgoing Caribbean or latino type, maybe Georgia can be lacking vs Florida for certain things. If you are well versed, both can be matched.

If you like sports and attending events the both can offer similar attractions. (Professional Basketball, Baseball, Football, fishing, Drag racing, Nascar, SCCA car racing etc). You're into fishing or jetskiing or small boating Lake Allatoona is just north of Atlanta. You have the sea for your boating down here too. I just have a fear of the ocean, so I would not buy a big boat down here to take in out on the ocean, though I have been of numerous boats before (including glass bottom boats in the Keys).

For latin events, South Florida wins hands down. It's Latino heaven or hell (depends on which side of the fence you're on), and I was not being negative, just stating the truth . Take no offense. If you're into cultural events, museums, plays and family outtings, GA beats South Florida hands down. The club scene will vary. I see Atlanta as a mini NYC for cultural events, so I am giving the thumbs up to GA there. If you have no colleagues, friends or family both place will bore you, anywhere for that matter. Depending on what kinds of food, both carry their strengths and weaknesses. Latin and Caribbeans food, hands down..Florida, so far. GA has a good mix of Chinese, African and European restaurants. Some Jamaican, Haitian and Trini restaurants are in GA, and I expect more will pop up in due time. It boils down to what you like and want. It's a subjective thing.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 AM

90 posts, read 411,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
"Though I think latinalover has some valid points (GA can be considered quite boring in relation to Miami/ South Florida) I have to disagree on the crime thing. I don't know Clayton at all.. but I do think you have a greater chance of separating yourself from areas of high crime in metro-Atlanta (if you can afford it). In many areas of SFL its a free for all. As far as the types of crimes they seem to be pretty even...and considering the cut in police forces that are going on in Florida right now I can't imagine that its going to be any better down there anytime soon."

Jillmaican,
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I think it's the other way around. I think there's not much to do down here, aside from clubs and the beach. I have too much to do when I go to Atlanta. I think cultural and intelligent things to do lack big time down in SFL. Are you Caribbean or latino by any chance? If you're the outgoing Caribbean or latino type, maybe Georgia can be lacking vs Florida for certain things. If you are well versed, both can be matched.

If you like sports and attending events the both can offer similar attractions. (Professional Basketball, Baseball, Football, fishing, Drag racing, Nascar, SCCA car racing etc). You're into fishing or jetskiing or small boating Lake Allatoona is just north of Atlanta. You have the sea for your boating down here too. I just have a fear of the ocean, so I would not buy a big boat down here to take in out on the ocean, though I have been of numerous boats before (including glass bottom boats in the Keys).

For latin events, South Florida wins hands down. It's Latino heaven or hell (depends on which side of the fence you're on), and I was not being negative, just stating the truth . Take no offense. If you're into cultural events, museums, plays and family outtings, GA beats South Florida hands down. The club scene will vary. I see Atlanta as a mini NYC for cultural events, so I am giving the thumbs up to GA there. If you have no colleagues, friends or family both place will bore you, anywhere for that matter. Depending on what kinds of food, both carry their strengths and weaknesses. Latin and Caribbeans food, hands down..Florida, so far. GA has a good mix of Chinese, African and European restaurants. Some Jamaican, Haitian and Trini restaurants are in GA, and I expect more will pop up in due time. It boils down to what you like and want. It's a subjective thing.
Well...maybe it depends on age actually.I moved to SFL after graduate school I had a great time. Lots of partying and hanging out to all kinds of crazy hours of the night. I am of jamaican decent and there is a great scene for that in SFL. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed myself as much in Atlanta at that age. And yes I spent most of my free time at clubs and at the beach!

As far as sports thats really not my thing...so I'll give you that one.Shopping is more my cup of tea. You're right though it does depend on who you know. Basically life is what you make it...if you've decided that the place you live sucks you will most likely have a bad time there.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,557 times
HI, I just recently moved to Atlanta!! Stay where you at! You're looking for something cheaper, well you're not gonna find it in Atlanta. You have to branch out of the city..and yes its cheap! But people!! I've travelled a lot, for 14 years I've been everywhere and Georgia people are very snobbish! They act like they are better that everyone else. Californians and New yorkers are all upto your face when they don't like you. They just tell it like it is! Here, they'll be nice and as soon as you walk away..DAMN, most hateful words you'll hear!

For people who pride themselves as religious people being in a bible belt and all, they sure can cast stones!!

So, if you are one of those who don't give a damn about other people, then move here cause it's really affordable! But if you are big on racial issues..be prepared! "Ain't no one hospitable here in Georgia"

Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
Quote:
...and considering the cut in police forces that are going on in Florida right now...
Just heard they are NOT cutting jobs in the Police and Fire Departments in Miami-Dade County. They are actually adding Policeman. They are cutting other things in the county however.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotbetrue View Post
HI, I just recently moved to Atlanta!! Stay where you at! You're looking for something cheaper, well you're not gonna find it in Atlanta. You have to branch out of the city..and yes its cheap! But people!! I've travelled a lot, for 14 years I've been everywhere and Georgia people are very snobbish! They act like they are better that everyone else. Californians and New yorkers are all upto your face when they don't like you. They just tell it like it is! Here, they'll be nice and as soon as you walk away..DAMN, most hateful words you'll hear!

For people who pride themselves as religious people being in a bible belt and all, they sure can cast stones!!

So, if you are one of those who don't give a damn about other people, then move here cause it's really affordable! But if you are big on racial issues..be prepared! "Ain't no one hospitable here in Georgia"
I know of not many cities of the size of Atlanta that are not less exspensive in the city than the outlying areas.Can you let us know how long ago you moved to Atlanta and where from.I can't imagine if you have only been here less than a year ,you could not possibly be a trusted source for the feel of a city of over 5million and growing .People have and are moving here from everywhere.Atlanta may be in the Bible-Belt,but it is far from being NAshville or Charleston.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 PM

27 posts, read 110,733 times
Default Miami vs Atlanta?

I live in Miami during the winter and Atlanta during the summer.

The two cities are complete opposites - most people I've met hate one and love the other one. I personally love Miami!

Miami - Make sure you speak at least some Spanish. You will not get hired in a call center or anywhere else without Spanish skills. One exception: you can make shockingly EXCELLENT money working as a food server on South Beach during high season (no Spanish required). Lots of Latin money in Miami in the financial district downtown, fantastic salaries, if you position yourself correctly, have a Latin last name, and speak the language.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM

894 posts, read 4,336,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali26 View Post
Coming from S. Florida, and living here full time, we could kick ourselves for not buying something on the beach for when we need to thaw out in the winter

Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali26 View Post

The two cities are complete opposites - most people I've met hate one and love the other one. I personally love Miami!

Miami - Make sure you speak at least some Spanish. You will not get hired in a call center or anywhere else without Spanish skills. One exception: you can make shockingly EXCELLENT money working as a food server on South Beach during high season (no Spanish required). Lots of Latin money in Miami in the financial district downtown, fantastic salaries, if you position yourself correctly, have a Latin last name, and speak the language.

There you go...You have to speak it, and be into that sort of vibe/culture to really enjoy it. I speak the language just to get around, but I am not latino. I think for someone looking for professionalism, they should look elsewhere. You have to ask yourself, why are so many people leaving South Florida? It's too expensive for one, and more hype than anything. People don't move here just to party, so it may not work out for everyone. To the OP, I hope you find what you are looking for, and honestly think Orlando may be a better overall choice. Do your research, and see what works for you.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,846,454 times
I moved from Miami three years ago and I personally hate the place. It reminds me of a chocolate cake...at first bite it tastes really good. But the more you eat the worse you feel. Once you are done, you feel nauseous and want to throw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta