U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,063 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am currently living in New York but I am considering moving to Atlanta to start a fried chicken restaurant. My restaurant is in Manhattan but due to my lease ending very soon I am not able to afford the new increased rent and the profit I am making does not calculate too well with the living cost here. I am looking to set up a fried chicken restaurant in the Atlanta area but since I do no know the area I am not too sure what town/city would attract the most customers. (not trying to be racist nor steriotyping but 97% of my current customers are African American)
If anyone has any input please let me know...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 PM
 
2,642 posts, read 7,441,512 times
Reputation: 583
Hmmm...you looking to open a franchise store or your own store?

Franchise-wise, it my opinion that you can't beat Popeyes. I love me some Popeyes!

But, if you're going to do you own "mom-and-pop" store then make it special and you'll do okay. By special I mean...think Whole Foods...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
 
323 posts, read 773,043 times
Reputation: 264
No areas need a fried chicken restaurant. That type of food is extremely unhealthy and does nothing but harm communities. How about opening a healthier grilled chicken and veggies restaurant !!

(just kidding, sort of)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 PM
 
1,755 posts, read 5,078,879 times
Reputation: 551
While Fried Chicken might be a racist thing up North, it ain't down here. You can fry anything and we'll eat it, both Whites and Blacks! That along with BBQ!

Hell, we fry our Turkey for Thanksgiving! You'll fit in fine, if your looking for your own name store, look for heavy foot traffic as it's hard to come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
 
14,176 posts, read 22,724,308 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
While Fried Chicken might be a racist thing up North, it ain't down here. You can fry anything and we'll eat it, both Whites and Blacks! That along with BBQ!

Hell, we fry our Turkey for Thanksgiving! You'll fit in fine, if your looking for your own name store, look for heavy foot traffic as it's hard to come by.
Yes! You are so right gt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
 
14,176 posts, read 22,724,308 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideofmarch View Post
I am currently living in New York but I am considering moving to Atlanta to start a fried chicken restaurant. My restaurant is in Manhattan but due to my lease ending very soon I am not able to afford the new increased rent and the profit I am making does not calculate too well with the living cost here. I am looking to set up a fried chicken restaurant in the Atlanta area but since I do no know the area I am not too sure what town/city would attract the most customers. (not trying to be racist nor steriotyping but 97% of my current customers are African American)
If anyone has any input please let me know...
Thanks

EAST COBB needs a great fried chicken restaurant...so says my father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,690,542 times
Reputation: 1352
gt is spot on. Southern blacks and whites eat the same type of food. Fried chicken, BBQ, collards, corn bread...it's all universal down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 AM
 
23 posts, read 123,834 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
gt is spot on. Southern blacks and whites eat the same type of food. Fried chicken, BBQ, collards, corn bread...it's all universal down here.
can i get an amen?
AMEN.

oh and the answer is: all towns need a good fried chicken restaurant.
cant have too many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,368,165 times
Reputation: 7922
Within a matter of seconds upon arriving in Atlanta you'll come to realize that most of us Atlantans would be wise to switch to BAKED chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 AM
 
2,642 posts, read 7,441,512 times
Reputation: 583
Hey, you could offer BOTH!

Have your Whole Foods style baked or broiled chicken and then have your soul food fried Chicken.

But that chicken better have some flavor! And that means it needs a kick....like Popeyes!

It would help if you developed a signature side. Popeye's already has the best biscuits around...you could develop the best greens or the best potatoes (like rosemary home fries cooked nice and crispy...mmmmmm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top