Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 AM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
By the way, the names of that thoroughfare from Cherokee County eastward are Alabama/Woodstock/West Crossville/East Crossville/Holcomb Bridge/Jimmy Carter/Mountain Ind. Serves to confuse heck out of the newcomers. No wonder most people just call it 92.
Actually, it's only GA 92 until it crosses GA 9 (Alpharetta Hwy). GA 92 ends there. From that point eastward, the HBR/JCB route is GA 140 until 140 officially ends at I-85 (GA 140 also, confusingly enough, continues west and north from GA 9, but running due north for a while as Houze Road, before becoming Arnold Mill Road, then Hickory Flat Hwy, before it crosses 575 and makes another zig zag as Marietta Hwy, then Waleska Hwy, and then . . . well, you get the picture.

Don't even ask how it makes any sense that if you head west and north from Roswell on Hwy 92, and stay on it, you eventually end up in Fayetteville and ultimately Griffin. Whatever the answer, it also means that GA 92 North runs in essentially a southeasterly direction from about I-575 to Roswell, while GA 92 South runs northwesterly for the same stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 02:35 PM

39 posts, read 107,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Anyway, it's quite doable, especially if you can manage to make the trips at off-peak times and don't have to do it every day.
Just curious--what times are considered off-peak? Though I am obviously hoping for a very generous telecommuting schedule (if I am offered either job--I'll know next week).

I am fine with a commute of under 1 hour. If it's going to take longer than that, however, I believe I am going to have to keep looking.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosen View Post
Just curious--what times are considered off-peak? Though I am obviously hoping for a very generous telecommuting schedule (if I am offered either job--I'll know next week).

I am fine with a commute of under 1 hour. If it's going to take longer than that, however, I believe I am going to have to keep looking.
If you could arrange to leave home around 6:30 am (or anytime up to 7:15, but the earlier the better) and leave work between 3:30 and 4:30, you'd be golden in terms of keeping the commute under an hour (barring major incidents, of course -- gas main breaks, complete road closures for fatal accident cleanup, etc.). The worst times are going to be between 8 and about 9:15-9:30 in the morning and between 4:45 and 6 pm.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 PM

39 posts, read 107,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
The worst times are going to be between 8 and about 9:15-9:30 in the morning and between 4:45 and 6 pm.
This sounds very reasonable. Thanks so much! Now I know what to ask for.

Would you say this is true of the Roswell-Smyrna haul as well?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosen View Post
Would you say this is true of the Roswell-Smyrna haul as well?
As far as busy times? Yeah, probably. I do think it would take slightly longer at least, but I'm less familiar with what the surface streets are like during peak times on that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta