U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:11 AM

8 posts, read 22,069 times

Advertisements

I TOTALLY agree with atlantareg30127. If you put out a good citizen image, then you will be fine no matter where you live. If you go around being a heathen, white or black, you will be disliked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:00 PM

88 posts, read 267,020 times
Definitely a good post by AtlantaGreg - Keep doing your research and search the threads here on City-data for info. on the various neighborhoods. I've seen many ask the same question and get positive responses. In addition the posters are very helpful when answering your questions - that give you that warm and fuzzy feeling just seeing that much.
I too am looking to relocate to GA - I'm set on Suwanee, my fiance on Buford, but I've found much information about both places here in this forum. I'd say ask more specific questions like what you've posted already, look into some areas and see what people say about them and you can definitely get a general feel for what's out there.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM

21 posts, read 69,232 times
I grew up in Georgia, and moved to Illinois in 1993. I can honestly say, that I experienced more racist attitudes towards blacks in Illinois, then I ever did growing up in Georgia. Being a white girl, I was surprised by this. I thought the north would be more progressive towards blacks, but not really.

I found that Illinois is segregated too. Black and white folks work together, but most whites up here do not want blacks moving to their areas to live. The only exception is the Mexican population which seems to be moving everywhere. I personally, have no problem with a neighborhood being more mixed, but I've never been racist. But I've met many whites up here who are.

I think honestly, racism is everywhere. If you are black, and moving to a more white area, there's always a risk that you'll experience some form of intolerance. It's not right, but it still happens.

The city of Chicago itself, is more diverse, so maybe this happens less so. But the suburbs outside of Chicago, are pretty segregated.

So, I was surprised to find that Atlanta is still experiencing this. I thought after all these years, Atlanta would be the one city that wasn't still segregated. Georgia does have a very high African American population overall, so that's a plus if you are black and moving to Georgia.

Personally, I liked the Duluth area when I visited recently. It seemed more mixed overall, with more job opportunities. Less expensive then "white" areas like Alpharetta.

I'm white, and I can't afford to live in a lot of upscale "white" areas either. They are just too damn expensive.

Illinois has gotten too expensive for me too. That's why I'm considering moving back to Georgia.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,073,244 times
Hi CMarshall. I am from the Chicago area originally. I don't think you will get that "City of Chicaga" racial vibe being a person/family of color in Georgia. What you may want to think TWICE about is the overall decreased city planning. Atlanta and the surrounding areas are DRIVING cities.There is a big difference between choosing to drive versus HAVING to drive because there is no Metra, El, or whatever. Everything for the most part is very spread out. I could never understand why Atlanta had such high commuting times and miles driven until I moved here. I find that I am averaging hundreds of miles per week.

I lived in Flossmoor, so I got used to a "long" drive into the city. But, if the expressway was crowded, you could get off and take an alternate route. Difficult to do that here. The roads are planned out differently, and not on a grid system. Expressway exits genrally are far apart. I never appreciated knowing the State & Madison 0/0 dividing line until I moved here!

Also as much as I was happy to leave Chicago. Here are some things that I never really thought about that help to make living in a city easier, all things that Chicago offers & Atl lacks in my opinion:

1. To know that you can take a bus just about anywhere if you had to.
2. To know that if your car stopped on the expressway - you were close enough to where you could see civilization.
3. City parks within walking distance.
4. Sidewalks.
5. A strong sense of culture and museums.
6. World class libraries.
7. I live less than 1 mile away from the school here, yet my kid can't walk because very busy streets with NO sidewalks.
8. Breakfast places other than IHOP and the big chains. My husband and I used to love to go to places like Top Notch in Beverly for a good cheapy breakfast.
9. The architecture. Sigh...
10.The lake.
11. The hustle bustle pace. A sense of a city on a mission - I don't get that sense in the Atlanta downtown.
12. Real carmel and cheese mix from Garretts or that other place downtown.
13. Milano's pizza, Giordano's pizza. The FOOD.

Overall, I have found the people here friendly, and you will be hard pressed to find the surly clerk in your local grocery store, like in Chicago. Ohh, I love my Publix grocery store, but sometimes pine after expensive Jewel!

The first time you see a confederate license tag on somebody's front plate - you may look twice. From my understanding it is not meant to be racially dividing...just a sense of honoring their heritage. But, what do I know about it?!! I'm black!!! Several of my son's friends used to wear the confederate flag shirts, but he swears to me that they are "cool" and not racists. They seem sweet to me! Go figure.

But do know this, this is probably the most integrated area I have ever lived in with seemingly sincere and genuine people - transplants and natives. We still chuckle some about the strong accents. But there are a whole lot worse place to live than in ATL. The weather is pleasant, it is gorgeous here with the trees and all. And in Fayette county where I live it is beautiful.

Oh yeah, the poverty here is not like the 'hood in Chicago. I don't know what is. But there is a different type of heaviness/sadness to it, both blacks and whites.

Just my 2 cents. It sounds like where you live is a good place. Remember, there is a reason the houses are so cheap. Now I know.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM

42 posts, read 184,824 times
Default Atlanta is diverse

As a realtor, we aren't permitted to tell clients about the racial make-up of a community. It violates the law... We refer people to census records and local county records on the diversity of the county. I agree with the post that said live your life, and don't worry about what other people may or may not think... Atlanta metro is a great area to live in....

Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 PM

169 posts, read 461,023 times
I would second adding Alpharetta to your search. Many transplants from all over. You should fit right in and there are houses in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or