U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM

154 posts, read 544,017 times

Advertisements

Rush hour in Atlanta is getting longer and longer. I would say morning is about the same as you mentioned in Chicago but evening seems to stretch on until seven or later. And ptcgirl, I'd agree with you about southside traffic being better than northside but I-75 into Clayton and Henry is MUCH more congested than I-85 into S.Fulton and Coweta/Fayette. I used to drive that stretch often at rush hours and watched as it got worse and worse, starting to slow at Tara Blvd, then Jonesboro, then Mt. Zion, and now nearly to Route 138. In the evenings going south it now slows well before I-285. And as Henry continues to boom I-75 traffic is only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
I agree with jjordan, a typical evening rush hour lasts from 4 to about 7 or 7:30 and Friday's evening rush hour lasting from 11 am to 8 pm (or 3 in the morning in certain areas).

Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 53,466 times
To give you an idea about how bad the Friday traffic is, there is a running joke that the Friday rush hour starts on Thursday eveing.

To be honest, IMO, rush hour never really ends. If I had to give it times, I would say the AM is from 6-9 or 10 at times and the PM if from 4-8. On Fridays though, it has been known to go most all day or start after lunch. I am on the north side, so I see a lot of the congestion.

But don't think the weekends are quiet on the road. An article in the AJC recently talked about how here in the ATL we drive only about 6% less on the weekends than we do during the week. Not as much as I would have expected it to be. I was disappointed, but not surprised.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 26,228 times
Default intown traffic

whats traffic like once your inside the perimeter? what are the secondary roads like during rush hour once you get off the highways on your way to downtown?

Old 02-14-2007, 05:35 PM

699 posts, read 2,302,619 times
The best way to conquer rush hour traffic is to live in the same area or in one nearby your employer...or at least have a route between the two that not too complicated or possibly goes against rush hour traffic, i.e. live inside the perimeter and drive out to the burbs for work. The main point is to avoid a difficult commute, which will reduce stress and create more free time.

I can tell you in all honesty that I75 and I85 on the southside are very prone to slowdowns and accidents and high volume traffic the same as anywhere else. Anyone who definitively says tells you about traffic on EVERY route coming into and out of the city either has a job that requires a lot of driving, or they are making some assumptions based on what they hear and see on the news.

Take a look at www.georgia-navigator.com in the morning and afternoon or at other times of the day. You can view the traffic cameras, get information on accidents and alerts, check trip times between two highway exits, and choose between all of the major highways. It's pretty cool...

Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,253 times
Sorry about the delay in reply. My commute down 400 from Alpharetta in the morning averages about 45 minutes, leaving Exit 9 at 6:45 am. If there is an accident or a stalled car, etc, it can take as long as 90 minutes (but that's not frequent). In the afternoons, my commute is now great due to the opening of the new lanes. All in all I think it's worth it, I love living in Alpharetta; you just have to get used to the traffic.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM

699 posts, read 2,302,619 times
These nightmare commutes can be avoided...future residents will hopefully make an effort to live closer to work. It's not all that difficult to find a nice neighborhood in close proximity to your employer...and it's especially important in any city with horrible traffic. I like spending my free time doing things other than sitting in traffic...if that's important then make sure you don't create that situation.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM

111 posts, read 534,777 times
Default Cameras Of Actual Atlanta Express Ways

Now for all of the people who are relocating, or thinking of relocating to ATL. You may have questions of traffic, and if so, you can check out actual cameras of express ways in Atlanta, meaning to see how traffic is during rush hour, just check out the different cameras for major express ways. This will give you all some insight as to how the traffic congestion really is.

I hope this helps... The link is:

http://www.georgia-navigator.com/cameras/400 (broken link)

Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,617,289 times
It is really not that bad because, unlike LA, you can actually semi-predict the traffic patterns here. Could a major accident *********r entire commute? Of course, but that's true everywhere. Whenever I've been to LA (or SF, for that matter) I was BLOWN AWAY by the traffic (this coming from someone who's lived ~ 30 years in ATL)...I could not comprehend the sheer volume of traffic on a Sunday!!! My buddy, who moved out there from ATL came back and said he will never complain about traffic here again. Bottom line is, if live anywhere near 285 and you're smart, you can avoid traffic. The further out you get, yeah, the worse it is, but this only makes sense. I have not had a commute take longer than 30 minutes in the last 5 years and I do not live near my office. Pick your residence wisely, so you have major highways that are accessible and also plenty of backroads in case traffic is bad and you should be fine. It's also important to know and realize your limitations. Don't schedule meetings going with traffic for sometime after 3:30pm, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or