Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 PM

9 posts, read 46,716 times

Advertisements

I am potentially moving to Atlanta and working at Emory. I heard that Dunwoody is a nice community with a suburban feel, low crime rate, a good place to raise children. Is this too far from Emory and will the commute kill me? Looking for some advice on the commute and living in Dunwoody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona11 View Post
I am potentially moving to Atlanta and working at Emory. I heard that Dunwoody is a nice community with a suburban feel, low crime rate, a good place to raise children. Is this too far from Emory and will the commute kill me? Looking for some advice on the commute and living in Dunwoody.
Dunwoody is a very nice place to live. They are currently in the process of incorpation/cityhood--will have more direct control over government etc.

It is not 'Too Far' from the main campus of Emory. Some of the better schools in the DeKalb system are located here if that is an issue.

Brookhaven, Executive Park/N. Druid Hills Rd/Briarcliff/Clairmont are closer. You might like Sagamore/Leafmore Hills--some homes are similar to parts of Dunwoody.

A poster in this forum just moved from Alabama to Dunwoody--cannot think of her name right now.

LastMinuteMom could tell you a lot about Dunwoody and so could several other posters.

I live in Briarcliff Heights--renovated 50's houses and some new larger houses--single professionals, some families with young children and a few of us 'Old Timers'--no more than 15 minutes away from Clifton Rd.

I enjoy it--easy access to NE Atlanta and downtown. Plenty of MARTA routes, the Emory Cliff bus runs through Executive Park regularly. This is sometimes called 'The Emory Corridor'/Toco Hills.

hth

Old 06-23-2008, 02:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Alot will depend on your price range-- renting or owning and what type of housing is acceptable.

Also, do you already have children?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:19 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I did the drive from Dunwoody to Emory for a year and it was definitely workable. I experimented with several different routes, and finally settled upon heading down GA400 to the Sidney Marcus exit, then left onto Buford Hwy., right onto Cheshire Bridge, left onto LaVista and then cut over to Emory. Took about 40 min. if I left by 7:15. That was 8 years ago, so traffic could be different now, but it was fine. Afternoon commute took a little bit longer b/c traffic on Clifton can be pretty intense.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Dunwoody is a very nice place to live. They are currently in the process of incorpation/cityhood--will have more direct control over government etc.

It is not 'Too Far' from the main campus of Emory. Some of the better schools in the DeKalb system are located here if that is an issue.

Brookhaven, Executive Park/N. Druid Hills Rd/Briarcliff/Clairmont are closer. You might like Sagamore/Leafmore Hills--some homes are similar to parts of Dunwoody.

A poster in this forum just moved from Alabama to Dunwoody--cannot think of her name right now.

LastMinuteMom could tell you a lot about Dunwoody and so could several other posters.

I live in Briarcliff Heights--renovated 50's houses and some new larger houses--single professionals, some families with young children and a few of us 'Old Timers'--no more than 15 minutes away from Clifton Rd.

I enjoy it--easy access to NE Atlanta and downtown. Plenty of MARTA routes, the Emory Cliff bus runs through Executive Park regularly. This is sometimes called 'The Emory Corridor'/Toco Hills.

hth

Thank you for your response. How is the crime on your neighborhood? DO you and your children feel safe where you live?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Alot will depend on your price range-- renting or owning and what type of housing is acceptable.

Also, do you already have children?
We have two young daughters ages 3.5 and 15 months. Looking for kid friendly neighborhood. We would be looking to rent a house to start to be sure of the location and then buying in the 600 K to 800 K range.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Dunwoody is very safe in my opinion. There was a time a couple of years ago when a group of teenagers were doing smash and grabs in houses up and down Spalding Dr. They just would break a window to get into the house and grab any purses, wallets, might be by the door and then leave. They were caught by an alert neighbor who got a good description.

Other than that, we have experienced occasional car break-ins in driveways when people left iPods, laptops, etc... in plain view. Again, I suspect teenagers as opposed to professional criminals.

Overall, this is a very safe community.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
We just moved here about a month ago, and I feel very safe here. I mean, of course, you take reasonable precautions as you would anywhere, but it seems like a nice, safe area. My four year old plays in our fenced in backyard and I don't worry about him. Of course, I'm on the back porch so I can keep an eye on him.

I would imagine that in that price range you can get a much nicer house than we did. I love our house, but it definitely is a fixer-upper, which is fine with us. Our son hasn't started school yet, but I understand that the schools in the area are excellent as well.

I don't know anything about the Emory commute so I can't help you there. But, it's really good for shopping. There are nice parks to take the kids to. All in all, we've found it to be a very nice neighborhood and we're pleased with our choice.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Also close to the Perimeter Mall, a large convenient mall with restaurants.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response. How is the crime on your neighborhood? DO you and your children feel safe where you live?
LOL--I have a dog. Taught school for many years and was 'Too Busy' to have kids.

It's very safe --probably like 98% crime free. There were a few break ins around the holidays but it is a very well patrolled area/DeKalb PD --not the sort to put up with crime.

It is a nice area--getting better as we speak. I would not want to walk to Emory down Briarcliff Rd every day but you could do it. I will walk to N. Druid Hills/Loehman's Plaza --Starbucks, Panera, Olivia Todd Hair Salon, The Pet Set/great dog groomers/daycare and Moe's/southwestern cuisine. The Target is across the street.

Occasionally I walk up to LaVista/Briarcliff--many ethnic shops and Whole Foods.

Hate the peak traffic times--everybody headed to Emory and Decatur but that is relatively minor in the great scheme of things.

Briarcliff Animal Hospital is very good and behind that on ??Zodeco Rd some shops that I haven't fully explored. A quilt supply store and some sort of collection of vendors--not a flea market exactly--??something 'Arcade'--several places to eat that sounded good.

Mason Mill Dog Park/Trail is nearby and the tennis center. Center for Special Populations is located here, too--activities for seniors and more.

Toco Hills--Kroger, Publix, Bagel Palace, GA Dept of Labor, Ace Hardware, all you could really need for shopping.

If you have school age children--they would attend Sagamore Hills Elementary/Shamrock Middle School/Lakeside High School. One of the better clusters in DeKalb.

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta