Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM

20 posts, read 114,475 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are first-time homebuyers, looking at ITP single-family homes under $200K. We were concentrating solely on the North Decatur and Clarkston (only the ITP parts) areas. We actually almost bought a house on Verdi Way, but the appraisal came back $24,000 below the price we agreed on. The sellers refused to budge and the deal fell through. We have since expanded our search.

A lot of my co-workers have suggested we look at homes in East Point. We drove through some of the historic districts, such as Jefferson Park, Conley Hills and Colonial Hills, and they seemed to be nice areas for the most part. Does anyone know if these neighborhoods are safe?

I've also seen quite a few homes for sale in the 30030 ZIP, but outside the city of Decatur. I believe the neighborhood is called Midway Woods or Dearborn Park. Is this a high-crime area?

One more question: Are the asking prices of homes in these areas inflated? I'd hate to have another deal fall through after the appraisal comes back. We were heartbroken (but glad we didn't get ripped off).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Mazokunomiko; 06-24-2008 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
Midway Woods is a little spotty, but it is a very active neighborhood, and I think it is going to get a lot better in the next 5 years or so. It has already improved immensely in the past 5 years. I know a lot of wonderful people over there. I think you would really enjoy it. They do have some crime, but I think most of it is petty, and the neighbors there are very vigilant so things are getting much better.

Just pay attention to the houses around any house you are looking at over there. It's pretty easy to tell if you are in a seedy area. I think you will get a very good return on investment over there.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
East Point is going through a lot of gentrification and is fast losing its reputation as a ghetto. Plus it's a very quick drive into the city

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 AM

36 posts, read 262,605 times
Don't know much about Midway Woods so i'll chime in about East Point. East Point has a very charming small town feel. There are some good restaurants in downtown EP, Thumbs Up Diner, Oz Pizza, and the Corner Tavern to name a few. I've been a resident for about 5 months close to the downtown area in a historic district that you have mentioned. There are pockets of crime, as do most in-town neighborhoods, but the overall crime rate in the downtown area is less than some popular in-town areas. If you are commuting to downtown Atlanta, EP has a shorter commute than Midway (I can get to downtown in stop and go rush hour in about 15 minutes, 8 without traffic). Check out eastpointliving.com and follow the links to the individual n'hoods you mentioned to get a feel for the city. I recommend you to visit the neighborhood association meetings and get a feel from the many that call EP home. To your question about over-inflation, no, I don't believe the asking prices are inflated over here.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
Any thought that the continued mess of a city government in East Point may affect property values? Do residents feel that they receive adequate city services?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Honestly I hate to admit I'm not very informed about the city govt even though I've been a resident here for a couple of months. East Point Police Dept has been wonderful to us and they take the time to come to our monthly neighborhood meetings and give us updates on the area. My utilities are billed from the city, all except gas, and I found their rates to be fair. I do know that the city is in a big budget shortfall and is working towards eliminating wastes to have a more balanced budget. As to it affecting property values- maybe, but I don't think I've been in the area long enough to answer that question. The media's tendency to sensationalize the coverage of the budget crisis certainly doesn't help. However - I do think that while our homes here continue to be very affordable then we will continue to lure many 1st-time homeowners like the OP. But maybe some long-term residents from EP can answer the question better?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 AM

I do love the homes in East Point, and it seems that they're a little more affordable than the ones in Midway Woods.

I did see that East Point had to close down two fire stations. Any thoughts on that?

Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Neighborhood association?

Thanks a bunch for all the info. East Point sounds like a nice area, and we are going to put an offer on a house in Conley Hills. Hopefully the appraisal will go OK!

Just wondering, is the Conley Hills neighborhood association a mandatory thing, as in you have to pay monthly fees, follow covenants, etc.? Or is it more of a neighborhood watch thing?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM

East Point did have to close down two fire stations. It is tough times for the city with our budget shortfall and there will be more changes (hopefully better) in the future.

All neighborhood associations are voluntary around the downtown area in EP. Sometimes there's a very small fee, something like $20 or so to cover the cost of newsletters to your door, sign toppers, activities and the like. They are basically neighborhood watch associations as you have said but have grown into something more for the residents. In JP, where I live, there are many get-togethers like the annual tour of homes and gardens, saturday brunches, progressive dinners, beautification days, mixers, and many more.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a fun group of people out there in East Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta