U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times

Advertisements

First post hola to all!!

BTW: I am moving from a suburb 35 minutes west of Boston,MA called Wetborough, where the school system is very good IMHO.. I hope this helps others in midst of deciding on their next residence.

The reason for my post is that not many recent posts, past 45 days or so, list the Brookwood school system as a viable/good choice, WHY?

Many list peach tree, dacula, north gwinnett, collins hill, suwanne, grayson and so forth. IF you are like me with children at each school level and very picky it is VERY important to find the right system and community. Yes, there are other counties with better schools based on SAT/ACT/GA scores, low FreeLunch % and so forth, but this area appears to be cost effective, safe and not to close to the city..

I just wanted to make future movers aware of the area since it appears to be a very good school choice for all ages, in particular when three of the schools Craig Elem, AC Crews MS and Brookwood HS are listed as the best in GC for 2005. Not only that you can actually find a residence which is in the right attendance zone for all 3!! We were able to purchase a residence which falls in the attendance zone of all three, moving in a few weeks.. I must say the size of the student population is a little alarming to me since the HS has approx 3500 students vs 1500 here in Westborough,MA..

I based my research on gathering scores and rankings for the past 5 years from these sites amongst many others:

http://public.doe.k12.ga.us/ - Go to the data reporting section & click away.
http://reportcard2004.gaosa.org/k12/cMap5.aspx - Change the 2004 to 2005 or 2006 for yearly reports.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/ (broken link) - best public high schools = top 5% in the USA!

I really hope I did not make the wrong choice for my familia!! ;-) I already have a headache after all of the researching, visits and house hunting decisions!!

Wish you all a great year!!
R

FYI: I am just a regular person looking for the best match/fit to my familia in lovely GA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 AM

985 posts, read 5,218,514 times
Brookwood HS is probably best school district in the Gwinnett. I went there a couple of times when I was looking for house. The reason I didn't go for that location is shopping option. But with new opening of The Avenue Webb Gin mall, that may change that.

Still, there are a more of shopping around west side of Gwinnett. Trader's Joe and Whole Food are located on the west side of Gwinnett. Gwinnett arena (where minority hockey plays) is located on the west side. There are a lot more ethnic foods located on west side of Gwinnett.

It is true that Brookwood HS district is probably best in Gwinnett, IMO, it is no so much better than Duluth or Peachtree Ridge school districts to give up other options. Also, I don't have kid yet. If I do and am not happy about the school, I can always move next door to John's Creek.

This is just my thought process. But if you want good schools with affordable housing, Brookwood is not bad choice.

IMO, the best school districts are Brookwood, Parkview and Duluth. Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnett are up and coming.

Last edited by jxu66; 01-13-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or