Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 90,939 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I bought a property sight unseen in Decatur, Waldrop Station, just off of Flat Schoals Pkwy east of the 285 intersection.

The condo is beautiful and I have a nice view from the back porch of trees rather than someone else's house. But I didn't spend anytime there yet.

I am overseas with the military right now and bought the property so I will have somewhere close to school (GA State) for Nursing in about a year.

Anyone have some advice for a single white girl in this area?

I grew up in Michigan and Colorado, so racism is really new to me - I experienced more in FL than I have ever known was still going on today - I guess I was really naive about it.

Some friends of mine have mentioned that certain neighborhoods in ATL are great and there are less racial problems, and then they warned other areas would not be accepting of a white girl moving into a predominately black neighborhood. I talked to 2 of my neighbors (both black) though and they seemed nice as could be and said they'd keep an eye on the place till I get back.

So I think it is a nice place, but like I said I was only there a few minutes, literally =)

Anyone know about the crime at that neighborhood or anything like that?

Thanks a bunch =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Default clarification

just wanted to also add the area is what you all refer to as the "other" Decatur - 30034 zip code

Thanks,

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM

39 posts, read 315,062 times
Well Waldrop Station is okay I guess. I assume you brought it sight unseen because of the price of the units. I know that many of the units are foreclosure and are priced as low as 50K. Georgia State is about 12 miles from Waldrop Station, so you might have to deal with traffic. However I feel that no matter what your race is, you should just take some precautions. Anything could happen to a single black, asian, hispanic, or white women in any neighborhood in Metro Atlanta. I personal think that area is okay, there is some shopping, however there is not a lot of white people. It use to be an all white neighborhood years ago, but at the first sign of decline, whites got scared and abandon the neighborhood. The neighborhood is not exactly "hood", most of the black people that live over there are middle class. Most of the crime happens in the apartment communities, which I would stay clear of. There are some pockets of single family residences that are pretty bad, but others that are "havens." The first thing I would do is invest in an alarm system. Also communicate with your neighbors, esspecially the ones that actually own there units. I think there are a lot of renters in Waldrop Station. Don't leave any valuable out in the open in you car or leave your window blinds all open for the world to see. This make you more receptable to be a victim. Again I am not telling you this because you are white, just so you will not be a "victim of crime." I live in Southwest Atlanta close to Downtown and I love my neighborhood, most retired senior citizens that are home all day, plus there is a strong neighborhood association. But I still take there precautions. But best of luck. Welcome to Atlanta.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information, it seemed like a nice neighborhood and I noticed driving around there are some pockets I would avoid - being a single female makes you more cautious =) But overall I like the area and love the green trees and grass and everyone I met seemed really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta