U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM

644 posts, read 2,382,366 times

Advertisements

We are not happy at the YMCA Ashford Dunwoody and are now doing a trial membership at the LA Fitness next to Perimeter Mall. We are probably going to join this gym and wanted to see if anyone had any negotiation tips any idea what their price floor is.

Their current month-to-month deal is $149 initiation and $40 per month (no contract).
Their paid in front deal is $1059 for 3 years, and $240 for each additional year.

Also I know a basic LA Fitness membership entitles you access to all GA locations. So I'm thinking of playing hardball with this location, and possibly moving on to another location if they don't offer a great deal (this location is typically packed so they may not want to deal). Do you think this will work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

740 posts, read 854,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
We are not happy at the YMCA Ashford Dunwoody and are now doing a trial membership at the LA Fitness next to Perimeter Mall. We are probably going to join this gym and wanted to see if anyone had any negotiation tips any idea what their price floor is.

Their current month-to-month deal is $149 initiation and $40 per month (no contract).
Their paid in front deal is $1059 for 3 years, and $240 for each additional year.

Also I know a basic LA Fitness membership entitles you access to all GA locations. So I'm thinking of playing hardball with this location, and possibly moving on to another location if they don't offer a great deal (this location is typically packed so they may not want to deal). Do you think this will work?
Funny you ask. The lowest possible deal you can get is 40 and zero initiation. They will negotiate hard with you. For instance if you only want to use the Dunwoody LA fitness they will drop the sign up fee, but you are negotiating during peak season, when everyone wants to be in the gym. It took me threating to cancel my memebership during the 7 day cancelation period, but it's possible. Also if you know someone who has a membership they can refer you and drop your intiation. There are plenty of ways, but it can be done if you are persistent.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 PM

234 posts, read 804,475 times
My membership with LA Fitness costs me $19.00 a month and that was with an initiation fee of $399 up front. I don't know if they offer that anymore (it was in 2005 when I signed up), but you could ask.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,755,569 times
You can always negotiate with anyone, any place, any time. Tell them this is what you're willing to spend (use the lowest possible rate you find) and tell them you'll sign now. They'll go back and forth and walk around into random rooms talking to random managers and picking up the phone but it the end they'll likely accommodate you.
I paid $50 initiation and $39/monthly after haggling for a few minutes. It was fun.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,826,985 times
You can get that 3-years paid up front price knocked down. Honestly, this is the best route to go b/c it is too enticing for them to not get all that money up front. I got 2 years paid up front in 2003 (Dec.) for $599, but now every year that I renew I get 14 months for $299, which works out to $21/mo. and I never had to pay an initiation fee. I went and tried to get my wife the same deal recently, but the lowest they could go was $899 for three years, prepaid (or $24/mo.) again with no initiation fee. In both cases we can use any gym in town. If you know you are going to live here for 3 years, this is the way to go. Pro - you don't have to worry about renewing for a while...Con - tough check to write up front.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 98,624 times
Today (7/20/2010),I paid up front $720 for 3 years with Guest previlage. Let me know, if this is a good deal ?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown000 View Post
Today (7/20/2010),I paid up front $720 for 3 years with Guest previlage. Let me know, if this is a good deal ?
That actually sounds like a great deal, that's only $20/mo.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM

2,351 posts, read 3,299,905 times
Gotta love the business plan of the gyms. Rip people off by signing them to large contracts, force them on autodraft etc because we don't believe our product is good enough that they would stay with us otherwise. 3 years?? Wow, too long a commitment for most people.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,756,739 times
It seems like you got an okay deal, but I wish I could've suggested Dunwoody Baptist's Fitness Center before you signed on with LA Fitness. DBFC rates were very reasonable when I worked out there, and they even had month-to-month commitments. I'm at another gym right now because I moved ITP.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

837 posts, read 1,326,582 times
What was wrong with the Ashford Dunwood YMCA?

We were thinking about joining since we live around the corner and they have free child care while you work out. I went and checked it out recently. The one annoying thing was all the kids running around. I'm thinking that is only during summers? I can work out in the middle of the day and avoid before and after school programs.

My wife belongs to Adrenaline Fitness on P'tree Industrial and loves it. But no free child care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta