Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I could just scare everyone who wants to move here, and say this and just sum it up for everyone who ever asks the question based on other topics that have come up in here over the years about racism, sexism, etc...:

1) The city of Atlanta leadership is mostly black, so if you're not black and apply for a job, yes, you will experience racism. Many of the outer suburbs are white, and if you are black and apply for a city job there, yes, you will experience racism.

2) If you are black and move here from the West coast and your kids speak "correct English", yes, your kids will experience racism - from other black kids in school intown.

3) If you are white and move near the Holmes MARTA station to be "part of the renewal of the area", yes, you will experience racism (as well as being labeled an idiot).

4) If you are a black male and move here and marry a local white woman, yes, her family will cut her out of the will. They will smile when you go to Thanksgiving dinner, then spend the next three days telling each other, "I'm going to die of a heart attack" after you leave. Black women will smack you silly for doing it.

5) If you are a white man who marries a local black woman, you will be somewhat more ignored by the white families but the black men won't exactly invite you to Rap sessions. Speaking of which, if you are white and move here - don't embarrass yourself by trying to Rap. Just... don't. The black AND white locals will slap you.

6) "Normal" jobs (meaning non-government type jobs), typically don't look at race when hiring, however, if you are a woman with young children, yes, they will secretly blackball your resume into the back of the pile. It is perceived that women with young children miss much more work than those who don't have kids or those with older kids.

7) Many here will be humanitarian when in public, in a forum online, or at fund raisers, but if a Section 8 family moves in next door, you can bet they have to use Ammodium AD for at least a week.

8) If you have a Spanish/Mexican accent here you will immediately be pegged as an "Illegal", so while it may seem dumb to have to do it, if you're here legally, it's best to meet someone, shake their hand, and go, "Hello, nice to meet you - I pay taxes and am here legally, by the way".

9) Moving here from smaller Southern cities: If you are black and have a child and name her "Sheniqua" here, I can promise you, you have just doomed your kid to a live of working at McDonalds in Atlanta's job market. Likewise, if you're white and in the outer burbs and name your kid "Scooter", then he'd better open up his own business or you've just doomed him to a life as an Autozone oil changer. Stereotypical urban ethnic or rural white names will only cause hell for your offspring later in life here.

10) Just don't ever bring up the state flag. If you're white and talk about it you're a racist. If you're black and talk about it you're a radical activist. Change the topic to pizza or sex if it comes up - those are less controversial here and won't peg you.

11) If you are black and drive through a predominately white upscale neighborhood late at night, yes, you will be pulled over by the police who will think you are delivering drugs. If you are white and drive through a predominately black lower income neighborhood late at night, yes, you will be pulled over by police who will think you are looking to buy drugs. If you are black and drive too slowly through an area where a lot of Mexicans live, the police will assume you're scoping out the area for a future home invasion. If you are white and drive around certain areas downtown too slowly, you must be looking for a hooker and will be pulled over for potential soliciting. Three or more black males in a car driving around will raise a red flag with police who will think it's crime/gang related. Three or more white men in a pickup will peg them as rednecks looking for trouble by police. Mexicans in a van driving too slowly will be pulled over as "potential illegals". If you are seen taking photos of any type of government building, landmark, bridge or other structure from a car, you will be pulled over as a potential terrorist suspect. The list can go on - yes, "profiling" happens, and no, Atlanta is NOT the only city where it happens (welcome to humanity).

Ok, I'm sure I missed stuff, but these are the points that skirt around from time to time where race/sex might be part of the issue or question. I'm sure there's more.

Scared yet?
I'm just throwing these out just for curiosity.

What if you are a black male who walks at night because he has no car or a ride?

A black male who frequently hangs out with white females?

BTW, #2 is fairly true. I speak as a black male who started kindergarten in the Pacific Northwest(Everett,WA). I know what that is like. I got pegged by blacks and whites for this in the suburbs.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Greg,

Hilarious post. I could not stop laughing.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,493 times
Atlantagreg pretty much summed it up

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 20,444 times
The Klan is big in the NW corner of Ga. Like Chickamauga, Ringgold, Trenton area.
I think Cumming is kinda known for that too and maybe Dawsonville and Jasper.
Stay in ATL and you will be fine.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiftLady View Post
The Klan is big in the NW corner of Ga. Like Chickamauga, Ringgold, Trenton area.
I think Cumming is kinda known for that too and maybe Dawsonville and Jasper.
Stay in ATL and you will be fine.

Last fall there was a lengthy thread about the KKK/Forsyth County/Cumming>>>
Cumming/Forsyth County

The consensus was that the KKK is not active at present in GA.

Throughout rural areas of North GA I am certain that there are residents who cling to outdated beliefs/attitudes but from recent visits to the area I note more progressive trends. I think Chattanooga may be influencing the area?? They are definitely trying to attract businesses and develop the city.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 25,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
To find racists you would need to go to the smaller towns outside of metro Atlanta.

Even then unless you wanted to provoke them there wouldn't be 'problems'.

Many transplants from all over the US are now living in Georgia, not that most of the native citizens are 'Racists' in general. There are clusters--very small towns where people have known each other for years are 'cliquish' at times but since this is the Bible Belt most people know better than to judge others on superficial criteria.

Now, if you go into smaller towns and say, 'I'm from Atlanta' you might get some attitude. Hopefully that is changing, too. Since Governor Perdue, first Republican governor since reconstruction, IIRC--the emphasis has been on progress and improving the state's economy. So most people are doing better and are less concerned with 'blaming' others.

Georgia's economy for many years was primarily based on agriculture and to some extent manufactured goods such as textiles. The high tech industry began to move into the state and tourism is now big business so there are more jobs and choices for those who live here.
I totally disagree. There is definitely racism in Atlanta although I think there has been much progress.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yecal View Post
I totally disagree. There is definitely racism in Atlanta although I think there has been much progress.
I wonder when I wrote that--not important--but it must have been a while back.

Certainly we have 'racism' or extreme prejudice in Atlanta which will probably become more intense as the economy declines. The blaming of others during hard times isn't anything new.

Fingers crossed that things will get better soon.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 74,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden589 View Post
Hi, I'm graduating from high school in 2010and i am considering going to college in Georgia so I can live with my uncle while I study. I just wanted to ask if there's any racism in the Atlanta area/suburbs because I'm of a African American ethnicity.
As long as you are within the perimeter of Atlanta, you do not have anything to worry about. If you're in the city of Atlanta (i.e. downtown or midtown), you will encounter a lot of diverse people.

Just stay out of the country in GA (as in the way south or north); you can avoid the good ol' boys. They're a bit "country" and closed minded at times. Just some, not all.

Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatch View Post
As long as you are within the perimeter of Atlanta, you do not have anything to worry about. If you're in the city of Atlanta (i.e. downtown or midtown), you will encounter a lot of diverse people.

Just stay out of the country in GA (as in the way south or north); you can avoid the good ol' boys. They're a bit "country" and closed minded at times. Just some, not all.

Good Luck!
I live in the exurbs and I can say those areas aren't much better. I should know. I still live with my parents out there and I am trying to get out of there.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I could just scare everyone who wants to move here, and say this and just sum it up for everyone who ever asks the question based on other topics that have come up in here over the years about racism, sexism, etc...:

1) The city of Atlanta leadership is mostly black, so if you're not black and apply for a job, yes, you will experience racism. Many of the outer suburbs are white, and if you are black and apply for a city job there, yes, you will experience racism.

2) If you are black and move here from the West coast and your kids speak "correct English", yes, your kids will experience racism - from other black kids in school intown.

3) If you are white and move near the Holmes MARTA station to be "part of the renewal of the area", yes, you will experience racism (as well as being labeled an idiot).

4) If you are a black male and move here and marry a local white woman, yes, her family will cut her out of the will. They will smile when you go to Thanksgiving dinner, then spend the next three days telling each other, "I'm going to die of a heart attack" after you leave. Black women will smack you silly for doing it.

5) If you are a white man who marries a local black woman, you will be somewhat more ignored by the white families but the black men won't exactly invite you to Rap sessions. Speaking of which, if you are white and move here - don't embarrass yourself by trying to Rap. Just... don't. The black AND white locals will slap you.

6) "Normal" jobs (meaning non-government type jobs), typically don't look at race when hiring, however, if you are a woman with young children, yes, they will secretly blackball your resume into the back of the pile. It is perceived that women with young children miss much more work than those who don't have kids or those with older kids.

7) Many here will be humanitarian when in public, in a forum online, or at fund raisers, but if a Section 8 family moves in next door, you can bet they have to use Ammodium AD for at least a week.

8) If you have a Spanish/Mexican accent here you will immediately be pegged as an "Illegal", so while it may seem dumb to have to do it, if you're here legally, it's best to meet someone, shake their hand, and go, "Hello, nice to meet you - I pay taxes and am here legally, by the way".

9) Moving here from smaller Southern cities: If you are black and have a child and name her "Sheniqua" here, I can promise you, you have just doomed your kid to a live of working at McDonalds in Atlanta's job market. Likewise, if you're white and in the outer burbs and name your kid "Scooter", then he'd better open up his own business or you've just doomed him to a life as an Autozone oil changer. Stereotypical urban ethnic or rural white names will only cause hell for your offspring later in life here.

10) Just don't ever bring up the state flag. If you're white and talk about it you're a racist. If you're black and talk about it you're a radical activist. Change the topic to pizza or sex if it comes up - those are less controversial here and won't peg you.

11) If you are black and drive through a predominately white upscale neighborhood late at night, yes, you will be pulled over by the police who will think you are delivering drugs. If you are white and drive through a predominately black lower income neighborhood late at night, yes, you will be pulled over by police who will think you are looking to buy drugs. If you are black and drive too slowly through an area where a lot of Mexicans live, the police will assume you're scoping out the area for a future home invasion. If you are white and drive around certain areas downtown too slowly, you must be looking for a hooker and will be pulled over for potential soliciting. Three or more black males in a car driving around will raise a red flag with police who will think it's crime/gang related. Three or more white men in a pickup will peg them as rednecks looking for trouble by police. Mexicans in a van driving too slowly will be pulled over as "potential illegals". If you are seen taking photos of any type of government building, landmark, bridge or other structure from a car, you will be pulled over as a potential terrorist suspect. The list can go on - yes, "profiling" happens, and no, Atlanta is NOT the only city where it happens (welcome to humanity).

Ok, I'm sure I missed stuff, but these are the points that skirt around from time to time where race/sex might be part of the issue or question. I'm sure there's more.

Scared yet?
Great post! I disagree about the "city employment" part though--at least in terms of the present. I have a lot of white friends and know a lot of white folks who work for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta