Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times

Advertisements

Should I turn in my CA DL to GA or should I keep it and get a GA license without identifying I have a CA DL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Should I turn in my CA DL to GA or should I keep it and get a GA license without identifying I have a CA DL?
Why would you need to do the latter
Plus wouldn't you have to go through the written and driving tests otherwise?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 PM

LovinDecatur, Some people that I know keep their DL from where they were before. They say it makes it easier when the go back to their state of origin???? It really doesn't matter that much to me and I can't imagine at my age taking the driving test again.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 PM

114 posts, read 475,792 times
bayarea-girl, I moved to Atlanta last year and relinquished my beloved CA license and got a GA one. I guess I could have kept it and taken the driving test again, but I just wanted to get it quickly taken care of at that time. surprisingly, it was painless. i made an appointment online for 8am, and i was in and out of DDS (DMV) in about 10 minutes with my GA license.

btw, i'm from the bay area too -- san jose. welcome to the ATL!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Nerak31, where did you end up? How do you like GA? Are you sure it takes 10 minutes. On the DMV website it says that you have to stick around for a 30 minute video. Did you have to do that too. Do you also have to bring your birth certificate too? Won't they take the CA driver's license as a verification of identity?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
You can't. It's illegal now to have licenses in 2 states (you can only be a legal resident of one) and the system will know about your CA license. There will also be questions on the application asking if you possess a license from or are under suspension/revocation in another state. If you give your real name, they already know.

If you try to apply as if you never had another license, you will have to take the written test and then a driving test. Just silly in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 AM

77 posts, read 311,024 times
What would be the benefit of keeping another state license? I surrendered my Illinois one without a second thought. Frankly I was thrilled to get rid of it (worst picture ever lol).

Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Neil0311, I didn't know that. So I will for sure surrender my prized CA license. At least I still have my expired license so that I have something to reflect on my time in CA.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM

bayarea-girl, it really only took me 10 minutes because all i did was give them my CA license. i filled out the application, paid the $20 for a 5-year license (i think it's $30 for a 10-year licnese), took my picture, and that was it. no 30-minute video or testing of any sort. they printed my license right there and gave it to me. i was very pleased that i was in and out of there within 10 minutes! (remember, i made an early morning appt online, so that might have made things go smoothly.)

i've been in atlanta for almost a full year. i was actually living in connecticut and washington, DC before moving here, so it's been about 5 years since I've lived in the bay area (san jose and berkeley...ahhh, how i miss it! california's still home to me because that's where i grew up and that's where my parents still are.). i lived in an apartment near emory for about 8 months, and i recently bought a house in decatur (oakhurst). i love my new neighborhood, and i love being able to own a house here! as for atlanta itself...it's slowly growing on me. i don't love it quite yet, and i think my preference is to live on the west coast (CA, OR, or WA), but i do think atlanta is a great and affordable place to raise a family.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 AM

no, i didn't bring my birth certificiate with me. just my CA license. i may have brought my passport too, just in case, but i don't think they asked for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: