Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

I have been posting here for several years and many times people have asked: 'What Can I Do for Fun in Atlanta'? and 'Where Can I Find a Particular Type of Restaurant'?

The posters have good information--by now we could have published a best selling book.

I have been thinking about how we could make a permanent file/sticky with all of this FYI.

I do not know much about designing websites but suspect that many here do and that seems like what might work well.

I can make a blog on Delphi forums for 'The Emory Corridor'/Executive Park/Chamblee area and a link could be included.

Certain that other posters could do the same or more for their areas.

Would something like this work?

Certain that many will be visiting Atlanta this summer and need recommendations on places to stay, what to see and where to eat.

If anyone has other ideas let's hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I think it's a good idea overall, but considering how many folks completely ignore the school sticky at the top and post new threads asking about schools every day, I have to wonder how many would use it.

It would be interesting though, if people could gather up the best sites available (or create them) that highlight the best restaurants, night clubs, and tourist attractions, and just keep that at top. It wouldn't stop repeat questions about them, but I'm sure there would be a certain number of people who would take advantage of the info.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
...or you could have used the 'PM' feature and sent this to the moderator rather than creating a thread. Similar to atlgreg's mention of the 'School' sticky. Why have it, if no one uses it?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM

atlgreg--

The School Sticky thread was a good idea and although every school question doesn't end up there, many do. I don't think many people know about the 'Search' feature or ever use that. I use it to find FYI to give to posters who don't seem to know about it. FWIW.

I know there would still be repeat questions but there are times when I might want to find this type of FYI myself and surely there are others.

I thought a website might be better--knowing nothing about how they are set up--someone has to 'house' it somewhere and then just a link would appear--is that correct?

Take a look at RightNation.US -- America's Number One Conservative Community; discussing Politics and Pop Culture or net, I forget. They have an area for posters blogs and all kind of other things. Some smaller boards that run on Envision also have 'room' for posters' blogs and other features that this board doesn't seem to have. I cannot even discuss 'All of That' because I am a novice computer user.

gt9??--
I know someone Moderates this forum--'The Phantom'?--but could not tell you who that is. No way to PM this person. Sometimes I see 'Georgia' respond as a Moderator--but I think 'Georgia' actually Moderates other forums.

Yes, I can go to ??Admin Forum?? and look around for a list of Moderators or discuss this with Markablue or someone but I really wanted the group's input.

Would posters be willing to compile FYI for their areas? I think a few would--Pless/Candler Park, LovinDecatur/Decatur, George Chong/Intownguru/Midtown and atlantagreg/Smyrna/Marietta--sorry that I am not more familiar with other posters. Lots of good posts on 'Food and Fun in Atlanta'.

I thought I would toss this idea out--and we could bat it around awhile and see what the collective thought. Just because something like this has 'Never Been Done' is no reason not to do it--my philosophy. LOL. And I am frequently told that I 'March to a Different Drummer' and worse.

Some posters may already have Atlanta websites--should be some way to link them up to this forum. Not my area of expertise at all.

Expound.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
atlgreg--

The School Sticky thread was a good idea and although every school question doesn't end up there, many do. I don't think many people know about the 'Search' feature or ever use that. I use it to find FYI to give to posters who don't seem to know about it. FWIW.

I know there would still be repeat questions but there are times when I might want to find this type of FYI myself and surely there are others.

I thought a website might be better--knowing nothing about how they are set up--someone has to 'house' it somewhere and then just a link would appear--is that correct?

Take a look at RightNation.US -- America's Number One Conservative Community; discussing Politics and Pop Culture or net, I forget. They have an area for posters blogs and all kind of other things. Some smaller boards that run on Envision also have 'room' for posters' blogs and other features that this board doesn't seem to have. I cannot even discuss 'All of That' because I am a novice computer user.

gt9??--
I know someone Moderates this forum--'The Phantom'?--but could not tell you who that is. No way to PM this person. Sometimes I see 'Georgia' respond as a Moderator--but I think 'Georgia' actually Moderates other forums.

Yes, I can go to ??Admin Forum?? and look around for a list of Moderators or discuss this with Markablue or someone but I really wanted the group's input.

Would posters be willing to compile FYI for their areas? I think a few would--Pless/Candler Park, LovinDecatur/Decatur, George Chong/Intownguru/Midtown and atlantagreg/Smyrna/Marietta--sorry that I am not more familiar with other posters. Lots of good posts on 'Food and Fun in Atlanta'.

I thought I would toss this idea out--and we could bat it around awhile and see what the collective thought. Just because something like this has 'Never Been Done' is no reason not to do it--my philosophy. LOL. And I am frequently told that I 'March to a Different Drummer' and worse.

Some posters may already have Atlanta websites--should be some way to link them up to this forum. Not my area of expertise at all.

Expound.
Count me in

Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Count me in
(((George)))

Our Moderator is MB2.

They say in the Admin forum to DM her.

Whatever happened to 'xxxman'? I think he was the original Moderator of the Atlanta forum. So 'Kool' let everybody have their say and then said, 'Move On' when it was time.

Guess he did --takes a lot of time to moderate a forum from what I have seen.

Once I was in a forum that was 98% women and the owner of the forum had to break up 'cat fights' --tears, strong differences of opinions on every topic and always 'Feeeeelings'. She finally made some 'Guidelines' and then had to deal with people reporting each other for any infraction.

LOL--then there was Hannity's forum. It is set up so that if you want to report a posting violation you go straight to the Moderator's Forum and how they love to opine--thousands of opinions on what should be done. The Head Guy is so good at what he does--once in the military or something knows all about technical things and can/will block a poster who does not show proper respect to Sean's policies in a heartbeat. He has a Lone Ranger icon. LOL---I am on permanent ban from that forum.

You can plead your case if you are banned and if you sound sincerely sorry they might let you back in. I am not 'Sorry' for what I did so I just lurk from time to time. ROFLMAO

TGIF!

The sun is past the yardarm now, George and you know what that means.

On my way out to pick some fresh mint and sip some 'Iced Tea'.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:09 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
(((George)))

Our Moderator is MB2.

They say in the Admin forum to DM her.

What will MB2 need from me???

Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
What will MB2 need from me???
a private message with a request to start a sticky with your title.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
I will forward this to the site admin for you Hike. If it passes muster then they will provide the sticky to stick.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
I have been posting here for several years and many times people have asked: 'What Can I Do for Fun in Atlanta'? and 'Where Can I Find a Particular Type of Restaurant'?

The posters have good information--by now we could have published a best selling book.

I have been thinking about how we could make a permanent file/sticky with all of this FYI.

I do not know much about designing websites but suspect that many here do and that seems like what might work well.

I can make a blog on Delphi forums for 'The Emory Corridor'/Executive Park/Chamblee area and a link could be included.

Certain that other posters could do the same or more for their areas.

Would something like this work?

Certain that many will be visiting Atlanta this summer and need recommendations on places to stay, what to see and where to eat.

If anyone has other ideas let's hear them.

Take, since this is your idea. Start a thread.
Title it - Exiciting places in Atlanta for fun and entertainment
Start another, Best Restaurants and Eating Establishments in Atlanta.

Once you do PM me. I will go on and make them a sticky for you.

FYI, it will be tomorrow before I can get to it.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta