Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,519 times

Advertisements

Greg, I wish Al Sharpton would protest this show, probably for other reasons . There is no way I will watch this show, but I'm sure to hear about it from my collegues and friends. I'm just shaking my head thinking about first generation wealth black women and the attitudes they will be displaying. Not that it's any different in principle than white first generation wealth, but culturally it's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I've seen Atlanta featured quite a few times on House Hunters and other shows on HGTV. In the episodes I've seen, they typically feature dirt cheap McMansions in the exurbs. Viewers must be watching these and thinking "wow Atlanta is so cheap!".

And you would be amazed how many people start the wheels turning in their heads to relocate here based JUST on TV shows and what they see in them, too!

That's been discussed in other threads - the "overhype" of "Atlanta and so many who keep moving here thinking it's something that some of them discover it's not once here. TV shows will show it a certain way and amazingly, people actually develop impressions on places solely on TV shows! Argh.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I live out here in the greater LA area...and it is all people talk about. It feels like swimming against a tidal wave, if you dont watch it.

There are some of us housewives that are trying to raise good kids with good values.
You mean... wait... you're a housewife in L.A. with real boobs, who does NOT drink Champagne and Mimosas all evening after a day at the day spa being pampered by immigrants who work for $7.50 an hour?

Come on - don't burst our bubbles!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You mean... wait... you're a housewife in L.A. with real boobs, who does NOT drink Champagne and Mimosas all evening after a day at the day spa being pampered by immigrants who work for $7.50 an hour?

Come on - don't burst our bubbles!
Believe me...I am in a minority here...there arent too many transplants here where I live. I am southern gal born and raised so I am totally out of my element here.

But they ARE here...believe me...I am just not one of them.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
Believe me...I am in a minority here...there arent too many transplants here where I live. I am southern gal born and raised so I am totally out of my element here.

But they ARE here...believe me...I am just not one of them.
Ok, well see you don't count then because you were born elsewhere and moved there. You're not a native Californian otherwise you'd be one of "them"...

On that note, since Atlanta shares that in common with L.A. too (most residents being transplants), I wonder how many of the Atlanta cast will be able to claim "native" status?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,802 times
haha...pretty funny! You know, it is almost true the way they are entranced with the celebrities and their lifestyles. That would be interesting if they did chose to keep the housewives native to GA.

That's the thing with being out here...if you grew up out here...then you dont know any different. I try to cut the native moms alittle slack by that understanding. I DO know different, and different is what I am and what I will stay....well until we get can get back home to GA....then I wont be SO different.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,361 times
In the other Housewife shows there wasn't one black couple, like there aren't any successsful black folks in La or NY. Now it's in Atlanta, 4 of the 5 women are black and the 1 white women is a country singer. I assume they will all be wearing Coke t-shirts, shopping at Home Depot and eating at the Varisty also. It's stereotyping at it's best

Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
In the other Housewife shows there wasn't one black couple, like there aren't any successsful black folks in La or NY. Now it's in Atlanta, 4 of the 5 women are black and the 1 white women is a country singer. I assume they will all be wearing Coke t-shirts, shopping at Home Depot and eating at the Varisty also. It's stereotyping at it's best
Looking at the women in that picture, I highly doubt they'll be doing any of those things- they'll be shopping at Phipps, eating in Buckhead, and wearing designer labels- whether they can actually afford those activities or not.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:45 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,361 times
I was mentioning those activities because it's a part of the "Atlanta Sterotype". Coke, Home depot and Varsity all being from Atlanta. I'm sure we will see some Phipps and Atlantic Station on the show

Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM

52 posts, read 226,640 times
Wow I can't wait to see! NOT! More rich skanks with spoiled kids and being fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta