Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM

214 posts, read 1,981,293 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have heard the same about Wesley Lakes. Many kids in and out of the school due to apartments and moving all the time. I would avoid that too. If you are looking for a more diverse area of Henry County the more north you go in the county the more diverse. For example, you will find more African Americans living in Stockbridge than in Locust Grove. That's just what I have noticed if it matters to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 56,611 times
Wow, I live in an apartment and my daughter goes to my school (in MD) I need to tell her she is inferior to the children of homeowners despite the fact that sh is reading a grade level ahead.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM

14 posts, read 32,441 times
I used to live in McDonough. I liked it a lot. However, I did hear a lot of bad things about the schools. My son was ok with it, but when he transferred back he was behind. Thomaston is a small town but has awesome schools. Peachtree city has wonderful schools also.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,173 times
I live in McDonough, GA and I love it. I go to Georgia State University and the commute is not too bad- about 45 minutes unless there is an accident. My husband and I just bought a home here in August. It is so quiet and calm where we live- nothing like the hustle and bustle downtown. We haven't had ANY problems with crime since we've been here (3 years) and find most of the people to be quite nice. Eagle's Landing High School and Middle School are two top-rated schools that our friend's kids attend and they are quite pleased. There is also quite a bit of diversity in our area, which I am definitely happy with since we'll be having kids in a few years and that is something we feel is essential. I must say, I love living in McDonough!! Henry County is indeed one of the fastest growing counties in the nation and is becoming quite popular for those of us who work in Atlanta but don't want to live there!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM

89 posts, read 242,474 times
My husband and I will be moving to the Atlanta area in about six weeks. We have been researching the area and we are going to buy a house in the McDonough/Stockbridge area. We are empty-nesters so we don't have to worry about the schools. Thank you for reassuring us that we made a great choice.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM

165 posts, read 548,715 times
If moving to McDonough then get in either Ola or Union Grove. The other schools look quite rough compared to these two. In addition, their ranks are better than the competing Henry schools. If you want the best schooling then consider McIntosh over in Peachtree City. Homes and taxes are more expensive though. You get more bang for your buck in Henry. The area is mostly retail and bedroom communities, but you have the Mercer offsite campus, Funtown for family (except friday/sat night), plenty of family events at McDonough square, and you'll have a 30 min drive to about 5 different malls. You're also close to several other town squares....you'll find McDonough square to be the most congested and time consuming (use alternate routes to get around it!)

Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM

135 posts, read 533,247 times
I went to Union Grove High the year it opened ('00) and graduated in '04. So I can't speak for it now, but it was nice then. Since it was new the class sizes were small. Also, I can't speak for the regular curriculum, but the honors and AP teachers when I was there were very good. They didn't care so much about giving you busy work as much as making sure you understand; whether that means more work, or in many cases less (and more activities, class discussions).

As far as neighborhoods go, my parents live in Lakehaven (all between 155/42/campground), and it's a pretty good neighborhood. I think they've pretty much finished all the phases but I have no doubts there are houses for sale by owners that just haven't sold because of the lag on the housing market.

Another thing to realize is McDonough is VERY POPULATED. When I first moved there, there wasn't much around and I always remember wishing there were more restaurants, movie theatre, shopping etc.. Now that there is all that stuff, though, it is almost unbearable with the traffic it creates.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Chacho

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayjored Mom View Post
Wow, I live in an apartment and my daughter goes to my school (in MD) I need to tell her she is inferior to the children of homeowners despite the fact that sh is reading a grade level ahead.
Isn't it crazy how people make assumptions based on something as trivial as home rental vs. home ownership? Apartment living certainly is not indicative of a person's class or income level, and definitely not a gauge of one's observance of the law.

In defense of that statement, there are certain apartment complexes in every school district that bring the transient element...like weekly rental units and low rent extended-stay outfits. Those folks seem to come and go often - like when the rent is due. I've had a student transfer and return 3 times in the same school year...which I think should be illegal. Just when I was getting through to him and he was really learning to read, he was gone. When he came back later he wasn't in my class, and who knows what happened to him after that...he would be in 10th Grade now, if he made it that far. It's very hard on the kids when parents live that kind of life.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Isn't it crazy how people make assumptions based on something as trivial as home rental vs. home ownership? Apartment living certainly is not indicative of a person's class or income level, and definitely not a gauge of one's observance of the law.

In defense of that statement, there are certain apartment complexes in every school district that bring the transient element...like weekly rental units and low rent extended-stay outfits. Those folks seem to come and go often - like when the rent is due. I've had a student transfer and return 3 times in the same school year...which I think should be illegal. Just when I was getting through to him and he was really learning to read, he was gone. When he came back later he wasn't in my class, and who knows what happened to him after that...he would be in 10th Grade now, if he made it that far. It's very hard on the kids when parents live that kind of life.
Yes, this is true. This has happened to me also; as a matter of fact, I had a student like that last year. Poor kid, I don't know where they are now.
With the way housing values are plummeting in some areas, it might be better to rent.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,328 times
can someone tell me about strong rock school in locust grove,ga. I have my ideas but i want to hear from some one else.
what about mcdonough elementery school. I would like a nice productive private school. stay away from lake dow christians school. OH MY GOSH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta